Awesome Games Done Quick 2014

It’s that time of year again! The biggest speedrunning marathon of the year, Awesome Games Done Quick started at noon eastern today and has already featured some great speedruns. The money raised will be donated to the Prevent Cancer Foundation and this year’s goal is 500k, which I expect they’ll reach with no problem – in 5 and a half hours they’re already at 35k. I’m personally really looking forward to the TAS block later this evening where they’ll have a bot feeding input to the consoles to pull off tricks that aren’t humanly possible.

Thanks for the reminder!

I have amazing luck, I tuned into this a little while ago just as a fire alarm went off, so I got to watch about 20 minutes of empty chairs. But we’re back to Yoshi’s Island now so I assume nothing important burned up.

edit: and somewhat creepily, they just met a donation requirement for the guy playing Yoshi’s Island to remove his shirt. Which he did. So that happened.

Huh, so I’ve watched this for a couple of hours on and off today at work, mostly on Megaman 9 and Yoshi’s Island.

It’s actually pretty interesting with the commentary going. There’s a lot of technical detail about what they’re doing that’s just technical enough to be interesting but is still fairly easy to pickup even if you’re not overly familiar with the game or speed-running (stuff about de-spawns, and zips, and glitches).

Yoshi’s Island is especially good, since it has enough mechanics to be interesting, but also is old enough that there’s a fair amount of hardware limitations, etc. to exploit into glitches.

I’m not entirely sold on watching speedruns as a concept, but this is a pretty neat intro.

They did that last year too with some guy playing Contra… so he looked like Rambo - minus the muscles of course.

Now imagine if they had some girls playing! I think the stream would explode because of the resulting viewer count.

I watched a little of Yoshi’s Island before going to bed yesterday. It’s crazy that there are people out there who latch onto some very specific games and know everything about it in such meticulous detail. For example, in order to skip the bonus round at the end of a level, the guy knew some specific action to time going through the exit right. And that for every single stage!

The Deus Ex run was entertaining in that way, too: the guy knew every single keypad and computer password (everything is active if you type it in right evem if the in-game character doesn’t “know” it yet). He said at one point, to nobody in particular “Yes, it took me a very long time to remember every single one of these”.

It’s probably just my own bias because that’s what I grew up with, but I really enjoyed the 2D platformers more than many of the newer games (FPS’s, RTSs).

I think they are a somewhat more natural fit, since the fixed viewpoint camera lends itself to being watched in a way that moving cameras don’t. As a viewer, you aren’t expected to have a 3d map of the world, which is hard when you aren’t intimately familiar with the game and can’t explore it yourself.

I think it may also just have to do with the players. There’s one runner (Duckfist?) who seems to be really good at commentary for those platformers. He enunciates clearly, and drops explanations well-spaced throughout the run.

http://kotaku.com/5966725/watch-this-speed-run-take-down-dark-souls-in-32-minutes

This thread reminded me of this run. The absolute perfection, economy of movement, and zenlike quality of this just blows me away. As someone who finished this game, but hacked, slashed, crawled, ground levels etc, watching someone do this is just mind boggling.

It’s probably duckfist, he commentates a lot of NES platformers while specializing in Ninja Gaiden though this year I’d also say the commentary from Blechy (Kid Icarus, Ninja Five-O) and Klaige (Castlevania Bloodlines) have been top notch.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how close all of the races have been this marathon and would recommend people even slightly interested to check them out when via the http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1ui4dn/agdq_vods_thread/ or on Youtube when available. I’d also recommend checking out the TAS block, Symphony of the Night Alucard any%, Duke Nukem 3D, and Pac-Man 2 for pure hilarity.

Wow. Today had some of the most amazing runs of the whole marathon. Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out blindfolded, an insane Super Metroid race, and good developer calls during Borderlands 2 and Metroid Prime, just to name a few.

Even though folks were hating on it, and it wasn’t really a speed-fun, I found the Pac-Man 2 “run” hilarious.

Wish I had been able to see more of this than I did, and I want to see the event in person sometime.

Man, the Metroid Prime run was depressing. That game took me like 24 hours to beat–not including numerous restarts due to death–and I only got like 70-something % complete in all that time. The final boss fight ended up taking me like 20 tries. Mike just fucking demolished it.

When you figure in that it took him thousands of hours to get to that point, you still come out ahead.

Well that’s the thing, even if you think it’s a monumental waste of time I think you have to respect the effort that goes into that kind of undertaking. I find them a total revelation to watch and I’m glad these folk are out there doing their thing.

With a HUGE $300k push in the last 12 hours, we made it to a million dollars at the very end of Chrono Trigger. What an amazing way to cap the marathon, and thanks to everyone involved – runners, staff, viewers, donors – who made this one of the biggest gaming charity streams on Twitch to date. Definitely planning on going next year.

Congratulations! I watched the stream on and off throughout the week – really great stuff. I wish I had more time to tune in. But the fact that you managed to raise the amount of money you did is so cool. Let’s hope for an even bigger pot of gold next time!