Awesome things in otherwise crappy films

edit: nevermind, I forgot she was in that too.

The first part of Full Metal Jacket where the kids are in basic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeX5HSBFooI

The first 30 minutes of “snake Eyes” all done in one take.

Oh, what a good thread this is…

Street Fighter: Van Damme’s witty rejoinders.
Wimpy diplomat: “Have you lost your mind?”
Col. William F. Guile: “No, but you’ve lost your balls!”

Star Trek III: Kirk kicking Doc Klingon off the cliff: “I… have HAD… enough of YOU!”

Revenge of the Sith: Contrary to what I wrote in the Star Wars HD thread, the scene where the Emperor gives the order to eliminate the Jedi, and its immediate effects, just worked for me. Really, the prequels could’ve used more scenes of Vader hunting down the Jedi, and less of Anakin having bad dreams.

The Medallion: The very short scene where an incredulous Lee Evans starts stabbing a now-invincible Jackie Chan is funny. The rest of the movie is just bad.

Battlefield Earth: John Travolta’s performance as Terl, Head of Psychlos Security; his insults of “Man-animal” and “Rat-brain”.

The Avengers: Uma Thurman in leather.

Every scene in The Core.

Very nice, Sean. But, yeah, as Charles said, you’re obviously in the wrong thread. You’ve almost inspired me to start a new thread.

As for awesome things in crappy movies, man, where to begin?

Derailed is a sub-par thriller with Clive Owen as the dupe and Jennifer Anniston as the femme fatale. They’re terrible. Both of them. Just awful, completely adrift, and entirely miscast. The movie enters a bizarro world of suck during the scene when they meet on a train and flirt. Every line misfires. Every glance is forced and every beat is ponderous. It is among the worst scenes between two people ever committed to film.

Ultraviolet was really crappy but had one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a crappy movie: Milla Jovovich riding a motorcycle up the side of a skyscraper. Did you read that? Up the side of a motherfuckin’ skyscraper, bitches! A motorcyle! And there are helicopters chasing her that will chop her to bits with their rotors! Awesome!

There’s also a cool scene involving a little boy (Cameron Bright) dropping his shoe down a well.

He’s bound and dangling over the well, and a bad guy is holding the rope that will drop him down to his death. So in walks Milla, all bad-ass and toned and supercombat-trained. About a dozen bad guys surround her, ready to kick her ass instead of letting her save the little boy. So she makes eye contact with Cameron Bright, who slips off one shoe.

Huh? Why would he do that? And why did the movie go to pains to show us the shoe being slipped off and dropped down the well?

So Milla hangs fire for a sec before springing into action. We know she’s about to leap, and we know we’re about to see some seriously Busby Berkley overhead shots of people spinning around with katanas and whatnot. But she’s hanging fire. There’s a shot of a clock’s second hand ticking just to remind us that she’s hanging fire.

And then…splash…the shoe hits. Milla springs into action, the bad guy drops the little boy, and everyone’s whipping around swords. But now we know that by listening to how long it took the shoe to fall, Milla knows just how long she has before Cameron Bright hits the bottom of the well. Sweet.

I don’t want to spoil the movie for anyone, so I’m not going to say whether she saves him in time.

-Tom

“I am going to kick Bison’s ass. Now who wants to go home, and who wants to go with ME?”

Best bit ever in the worst movie ever.

Certainly every scene with Delroy Lindo in it qualifies.

Holds fire maybe?
I bet she did save him, I just know Milla wouldn’t let the poor boy drown.

The question is, why was Tom watching such an obvious piece of shit in the first place?

Dude, you have no idea. We should be Netflix buddies. I’ll rock your world.

Actually, I quite liked bits of Ultraviolet. It’s no Aeon Flux, though.

-Tom

Because he hates Star Wars discussions but likes to carry out arthouse arguments about films. :)

Maybe I’m missing the point too, but I thought this thread was for legitimately awesome stuff in otherwise horrible movies, not so-bad-it’s-good moments in horrible movies. I’m guessing this was intended as an example of the latter.

No, seriously, the meeting-on-a-train bit in Derailed was awesome for how bad it was. I actually backed up and watched it again. Then I showed it to my friends before I sent the movie back in its little Netflix envelope. It was totally worth it.

-Tom

The Vaudeville acts in King Kong… oh sorry, wrong thread. That goes in the ‘horrible scenes in crap movies’-thread.
But yeah, Kong looks absolutely fantastic scars and all and he moves with such believability - shame he’s surrounded by suck.

The killing of the Jedi in the last Star Wars was surprisingly well done.

Steve Buscemis scenes with the little girl in Con Air. It was a ‘oh no, they’re not doing that’-scene that had no bearing on the rest of the film (and - SPOILER - they didn’t go there). But it was suspenseful and creepy and out of whack with the rest.

Flying harvesters and flying cows in Twister. Actually every tornado in that movie was cool.

Sailing on acid in Dante’s Peak.

Volcano is like The Core - a bunch of cool scenes in a stupid movie with a downright silly plot. What can I say, I love a good disaster movie.

Paris being wiped out in Armageddon.

The wave in Deep Impact.

The city destruction in Independence Day.

The teaser to Godzilla where he crunches a T-Rex skeleton underfoot.

The T-Rex in surburbia in The Lost World.

The opening sequence of Pootie Tang is pretty damn awesome.

Al Pacino’s speech in Any Given Sunday.

Pearl Harbor: The very brief bits on the Battle of Britain. These may not be as good as I remember (I only saw the movie once, on opening night). Bear in mind that these scenes are just half an hour into the movie, while you’re still hungry for WW2 action, and have yet to reach your Affleck saturation point. Let’s call it a good appetizer to a crap meal.

Exit Wounds: Tom Arnold and Anthony Anderson talking through the end credits. The directors of Cradle 2 the Grave cynically hired the pair to be awesome comic relief in a crappy DMX/Jet Li flick, but no luck second time out.

Stealth: I can think of two awesome things in that movie: Jessica Biel in a bikini, hur hur hur. Actually, there should be a separate category in this thread for shitty movies you fast forward through to see a few seconds of boobies. Bloodrayne? The Gift? Blown Away (feat. both Coreys)?

Chuck Norris in Lone Wolf McQuade - “If I wanted your opinion I’d have beaten it out of you”. I saw that in theaters once, 23 years ago … and that scene is still with me.

Halle Berry’s tits in Swordfish. That satisfies both the topic and Enduro_man’s category. Do you get bonus points if you just did a screengrab of the tits in question in order to save yourself the hassle of having to fast-forward?