Awesomely Bad Movies

Oh my. The Sony Movies Channel has a double bill tonight of Street Fighter and Starship Troopers 3.

This is one I’m looking forward to checking out:

I’ve never watched all of Street Fighter, but I’ve always been fond of this scene. Based on it I’ve always imagined the movie didn’t take itself all that seriously. I should check it out.

I’ll never not love that Raul Julia decided to do that movie based on his kid’s recommendation. There will never be a better M. Bison.

I was going to respond with a gif of him saying “never again” during the climax of Addams Family, but he’s not on screen when he says it!

Hey, that’s May from Agents of Shield!

Also Mulan. She’s been in a ton of TV.

First thing I remember her in was the early seasons of ER. I think she even left for a while and then came back for a bit. Always liked her.

I liked her on The Single Guy, an NBC sitcom in the “Must See TV” era, even though it wasn’t quite “Must See” quality. On the show, she was married to Joey Slotnick, who was weird but not Chris Elliot weird, and good ol’ Ernest Borgnine was their doorman.

I was thinking yesterday that I wish someone would make a “serious” live action Ace Combat movie, like Top Gun but with truly absurd plot and dialogue, played totally straight.

And then just now I realized, that’s kinda what Stealth was. I love Stealth.

OMG

Holy shit.

Speaking of How Did This Get Made the movie from a recent episode, 1991’s Stone Cold, is on YouTube in its entirety and was new to me:

A clip from the movie has been pretty popular since Monday night, for some reason:

Stone Cold was featured in RedLetterMedia’s most recent Best of the Worst episode, where it received very positive reviews. The night the video was posted the Blu-ray was widely available, but by the next night new copies were sold out and ebay prices were pushing $100. So it seems like a lot of people have been watching it lately. I was lucky enough to snag a copy while I could. I just watched it yesterday and it’s a pretty great 80s style action movie. I doubled down on Lance Henrikson and watched Near Dark today. He’s great in both.

If you like this kind of action movie, definitely check out Stone Cold. Here’s a trailer:

As for the Miami Connection soundtrack, it’s been on Apple Music for a little while now. I can certainly get down to some “Friends” by Dragon Sound.

I challenge anyone to top Hard Ticket To Hawaii.

This and Troll 2 are my go-to bad movies. Wow. I scrolled up to see other mentions and saw that I made pretty much this exact reply 10 years ago.

Man, 90s action movies were the best.

I watched that episode and the thing that surprised me the most is that none of them had never even heard of “Stone Cold.” I mean, it wasn’t Die Hard or Beverly Hills Cop huge, but it wasn’t exactly under the radar either. I guess I’d sort of equate it with a lot of average 80s action movies, like maybe Stallone’s “Cobra” or Schwarzenegger’s “Red Heat”.

I’ve heard of all of those but never Stone Cold before this thread. It made like a quarter what Red Heat, by far the least of the movies on your short list, did at the box office.

I hadn’t heard of Stone Cold before the HDTGM episode. Speaking of which, I am currently watching A Sound of Thunder for this week’s episode, and holy cow is this an awesomely bad movie. It may top The Core for the worst science on film. And the CG is just unbelievably poor.

Edit: Apparently, Homo sapiens is the last species to evolve. Um, what?