Axedivision shelving WIC expansion and selling off Massive

When did Activision turn evil? They are keeping games like Spyro which are no longer big sellers and artisticly are crap and kill games that people and developers actually want.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/40567/Blizzardvision-Selling-World-In-Conflict-Developer

So there is a small possiblity that Soviet Assualt will get bought by whoever , if anyone, buys Massive.

Already discussed in this thread:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=46067

And yes this sucks since WIC is great fun.

Although “Axedivision” deserves some props on its own.

I can’t understand why they would axe an expansion pack to an apparently already successful game?

I would have thought an expansion pack (properly budgeted) was basically a revenue earning no brainer?

Or is WIC not as successful as I think?

I’m all over that nickname. Like any good nickname, it tells me everything I need to know about the subject immediately.

To be fair to Axedivision, what were the sales numbers for World In Conflict? I don’t think it was a huge hit. I have to imagine that the ROI on Spyro is a lot higher regardless of their general mediocrity.

I agree with your point. It seems to be a common conception that if a game is good and sold fairly well, the publisher will want a sequel. Litte does the gamer know that the game cost thirty million to make and only made twenty-five million in revenue, while the shovelware cost five million to make and made fifteen million in revenue.

You can’t spend critical acclaim.

Why are you assuming World in Conflict sold well?

It isn’t just the expansion that got dropped, its the console release as well that is basically done.

Searching google, I can’t find any mention of units sold but it apparently top the charts for a month or so when it was released last october.

Hellgate: London also “topped the charts” when it was first released.

Apparently people didn’t want WIC. Sadly they want artistically crap games like Spyro. If WIC sold well enough, Activision would want to bank on it. Maybe it just had bad marketing, bad timing, or whatever. Who knows. But it didn’t pay off (at least not enough), and they’ve decided it wasn’t worth the risk to bet on it further. If people obviously wanted it, Activision would be all too eager to provide. Look at the umpteen versions of Guitar Hero.

To want to stay in business is hardly evil.

I would personally like to see a WIC sequel, though I’d really love a Psychonauts sequel… and Rez, Cubivore… but it’s hard to blame someone for not further funding something that failed in the marketplace.

I heard WIC was enormous in Europe, but have no data to back it up.

Just grabbed the collector’s edition of the game from my favorite seller on half.com (at $15 it was cheaper than the regular editions for sale, heh). Haven’t played it much yet (other than the demo a long ways back), just enough to max out the settings and look at the pretty graphics for a bit.

Is there any option to just allow the Russians to take Seattle?

I dearly hope that WIC and Massive land somewhere soft. That studio has been putting out great under-selling games for years, and WIC really is something special. The console version was even decent the last time I saw it!

Agreed.

As for WIC and the other casualties of Activision’s recent purging, I’d be very very interested to get some comment from the decision makers there about why they’re going the way they are on these properties. From the outside the decisions don’t seem to make too much sense.

From the outside the decisions don’t seem to make too much sense.

Really? As Adam pointed out, Massive has the reputation of delivering quality games - that, unfortunately, have not sold well at this point. WiC has been underperforming as well from what I’ve seen so far, but I’d also say that Sierra might have had unrealistic expectations.

Now Activision clearly cares about the this whole ‘return of investment & shareholder value’-deal, which is why they don’t have much interest in keeping the brand or the studio.

-Julian

Please be less Kotaku-esque in your post titles. Activision is not “shelving” the WIC expansion… they are simply cutting off all funding towards it.

Your topic is wrong.

They’re not cutting down that tree, they’re merely separating it from all of its roots.

Goddamn hippie alarmists.

Even if that’s true, and I don’t dispute it, I’m more hung up on Activision’s decision not to publish Ghostbusters. That seems like such a sure bet to me and it boggles my mind that they’d let that go.

This whole thing is kind of weird. Did they find themselves in a massive cash crunch due to the merger and so have to free up some money? That’s the only thing I can think of.

I think the whole idea behind the merger was to wonder twin power activate the two massive properties of Guitar Hero and WoW under one single entity.

The rest of the IP is just weighing them down as a stockholder liability to those two franchises’ huge profit margins. The sooner they get rid of all that pesky creativity, the sooner they can expect their stock price to rise even further. That’s all that matters to them.

Ghostbusters seems anything but a “sure bet” to me. It’s an old property banking on nostalgia recognition, yet fairly dependent on high production values. It’s an unproven IP as well, since the last Ghostbusters game didn’t even do that well. (They’re basically starting from scratch here.) I’d bet that when they ran the numbers, they got more responses of “I’d check it out/Rent it” rather than “Buy for sure.”

Now, give me a Lego Ghostbusters game, and I’ll marry you.