Axes And Acres

Hey, they added a stats screen!
http://i.imgur.com/N5Dz0sl.png

Hit level 29 (briefly) yesterday, after I managed to finish about 6 rounds early (castle by the middle of phase 2 FTW).

I am wondering if I have been devoting too much time to roads early on. I have recently had success using the move card in turn 1 or 2 to build a house at the far end of the river near to some resources. Depending on map layout and objectives, of course.

I don’t use roads much. My lumberyard is usually right next to a house. I will use roads sometimes to connect to a quarry. I’ve been better about trying to put houses down to minimize travel. But, what do I know, I’m 4 levels behind you :-)

Level 28! 15th on the “current top players” global leaderboard…

I got the “build 20 castles” achievement and the “win 50 games” achievement. The only problem is that at some point the game devolves into “build a castle, throw builder and reproduce dice into it as fast as possible, don’t run out of food” which can get a bit repetitive. But I really want to see if I can get into the top 10, so I will probably keep playing for a while longer.

Nice job Josh!

Yeah, that’s been my target for a while. Afraid I’ve just made it one level harder for you. :)

Curse you! I mean, congrats!

I just realized that the builder’s hall reduces the build cost of buildings by 1. Man I’m slow.

I finally bit and it is great. I recognize and see Less Lucid still up there. Is that one of you?

That’s not me, but I am up there.

Oh crap. I completely missed that. :) Sweet.

Level 8 Bitches!!!

Their latest game, Solar Settlers, is out now and 15% off. I see a certain @tomchick on one of the leader boards, so hopefully there’s a review on the way.

or maybe, even a podcast ;)

That’s me…

Bumping to say I’ve finally tried this game after owning it for quite a while. Strategically tense, yet also kind of soothing (the setting, the music) in a way that feels great after a tough day at work. I’ll have to try some of their other games next.

I think Axes and Acres is easily the best game they’ve done. I also like Solar Settlers, but it’s still no Axes and Acres.

-Tom

Agreed. I’ve only played Axes and Acres and Solar Settlers, but strongly prefer AaA.

Fwiw, I use your video to really learn the game beyond the tutorial. Very helpful.

I think Tom meant Minos Strategos

I’d never have understood that game (or any of the other braingoodgames, for that matter), if not for Tom’s videos.

Militia is a really cool little game, but just a little game.
Axes and Acres got something really special going, with those barbarians and the way you may interact with them. And it is really evocative.
Minos Strategos is probably the one I enjoyed the most, but maybe because it is the least demanding on the brain part.
Solar Settlers has a bunch of content, but doesn’t feel as “open” as Axes and Acres to me.
I never could get really into Skyboats (it is too complicated for me!) and I didn’t get the Reef game because Tom didn’t post a video explaining me how to play it.