Axes And Acres

Are you consistently getting stuck at the first / second / third phase? Or at different spots in each game?

Different spots

Hmm.
Not sure if I have any useful advice to give… I guess my feeling so far with the game is that you’ve always got two or three somewhat “urgent” problems descending on you at any one moment, and the trick is to pick from those which one is the most urgent and take care of it first.
What are you usually using as a food engine? Farms or hunters huts or a mixture of both?

So happy I got to pick this up in a recent bundle. I played through the tutorial and won my first game. I think it’ll take a couple games to remember what the heck the buildings do.

How does the progression work? Game 1 ended pretty quickly at I think 25 VP. There was a lot of stuff I didn’t build. Does each game get harder or need more VP to win?

Yes, higher levels give you fewer days and/or higher VP requirements. Also the stuff that happens after you hit a VP milestone gets worse and worse.

You probably won’t ever build all the things in a single game.

Thanks!

I got a map without any stone to mine, which is making meeting the objectives a bit impossible.

Edit: Oooh, I wonder if I can get by with a marketplace.

I barely won to get to level 7. Got it in the last turn.

Where is the high score list?

I might be mistaken and they might have added one by now, but I think there wasn’t any leaderboards before their latest game, Minos Strategos. It might be tied to the ability that was implemented right when I stopped playing of setting the difficulty level to your liking.

I was blind. There is a top players link right on the main screen. Can’t filter by friends or anything though, it’s very basic.

I just beat level 8 on round 22 out of 32. I think things aligned for me just right that time.

Are you sure you had no stone? I thought it was always 2x stone spots per map, unless you let the pesky barbarians get to them.

I guess it is possible that I didn’t realize that the barbarians got them. There are probably times I’m not paying enough attention to where they’re going if they are far from my houses.

I love Braingoodgames games (sic) because of those obstacles, and how to game self-teaches itself to you as to overcome them. You feel somewhat stuck at a level, then you discover a new layer of how you are really supposed to play and you are good to go for a few more.

I understand the game was quite revamped in a recent update, I should probably fire it up again!

As someone pointed out to me on Twitter when I was kvetching about difficulty levels, this approach is also a great way to solve the Difficulty Option Dilemma. Namely, that developers opt out of the hard work of tuning a game’s difficulty because they don’t know whether soccer mom casuals or s00per hardcore grognards are going to play their game. So they just throw in a half-assed easy/normal/hard toggle that determines how many hit points the bad guys have. Lazy! Sad! Failing New York Times!

But with their leveling system, Brain Good Games auto adjusts the difficulty level as you play, based on how well you’re doing. Brilliant!

-Tom

This is a great feature. In general I’ve felt the game get more difficult as I progress, but not too much. That and I’m learning more about the game as I go. I thought I screwed up because I let the barbarians take my stone. My big VP goal for the last stage was to acquire 2 priests - but I needed stone to build a church. Well, I get 2 VP for working a farm - so I kept 2 farms going and because I had a fairly large population I was able to work them several times per turn and I cranked out VPs that way. Whoo whoo, just reached rank 10!

The longer I win the more stressful it becomes to fire up the next game. I think I take this too seriously. I don’t want to lose rank.

Saw you playing last night and did not think to check here for a thread about this game as I had seen in on Steam a week or so ago. Seems like I need to get it and set aside Monster Slayers until the new classes show up as my Legendary runs are making me sad.

I mentioned this in another thread, so forgive the repeat, but Brain Good has put one of their other games, Militia, on iOS to see what the demand is for their titles. The uses this same difficulty level system. I’m hoping it does well enough that we will see some more ports.

Militia by Brett Lowey
https://appsto.re/us/44nEib.i

Yeah, the latest update made those legendary runs pretty darn hard. Now its an accomplishment just to get to the harbinger, never mind beating it and the final battle. I think I beat the harbiner 1x out of maybe 6 tries since the update. Also looking forward to those new classes.

Axes and Acres as been quite a bit of fun. I definitely recommend it. You can still get it for $2 in this bundle.

Is that a recommendation?