Baba Is You: Making Sokoban interesting since 2019

I just beat Ruins #10. OMG, that one requires some really out-of-the box thinking. It took me probably 2 hours to puzzle it out.

sometimes I just rearange the elements, before a solutions emerges from it. It is so strange to adjust to the system, that sometimes you need to try out and check if it works or what happens.

You have the items like rock, key, baba etc. and the text … And “is-you” always can push around the text entities, but the items only if they are “is-push” …

Well actually anything can push around text, including other objects moving autonomously. Text always blocks movement and is moveable. However, even though you can’t push objects onto text, you can (and sometimes must) push text onto other objects, unless they’re MOVE or PUSH or STOP or YOU.

yes, that is true. Everything is logical, but still, I think my brain needs a lot more rewiring to this logic. It would have helped to have more puzzles on the same theme … I tend to forget what is actually possible in this game

Probably the most consistently confusing thing in the game is the rules around overlapping blocks. Like, there have been a couple times when I try to push a key onto a door, but find that I can’t, (I think that DOOR IS STOP, but if DOOR IS SHUT and KEY IS OPEN that overrides the stop.)I think SINK and MELT interact with STOP in roughly similar ways.

Of course, that interaction is a deliberate part of the puzzle, but it’s one that is relatively difficult to keep in mind.

Agreed. There is a confusing priority to some of the actions. I tried, for instance, to use two movers, one going horizontally and one going vertically, to move a block in a diagonal direction, but the pass-off never occurred, and I think it was due to horizontal pushes taking priority.

Yeah, and note that if DOOR is not STOP, it doesn’t actually block movement, even if it’s SHUT.

Also, if something is PUSH, you typically can’t use it to WIN because you just keep pushing it around.

Yeah, the order of operations especially with multiple moving objects is a little weird.

Very minor “spoilers” for one puzzle below (just a mechanics oddity):

If BABA IS YOU AND MOVE, and you push a direction, you move 2 squares in that direction, but you never “touch” the intervening square, so if it is SINK or DEFEAT, that doesn’t register.

Huh, I never realized that. I’ve used that feature to get past a couple of the timing puzzles, but never in that way. I’ll have to keep that in mind, thanks!

I need just a little hint for ruins level 5, where’s the key - level … I don’t get it, there is only one visible entity, and that is the rabbit, everything else is text. I can manipulate it that I die and the key is revealed, but then I am dead… Probably I have to get the key in the box, make the box weak, but then, there is no box entity…

Can you post a screenshot of the level?

Yeah. That one took me a very long time as well.

Vague hint:

If you have both BABA IS YOU and BOX IS YOU at the same time, even if BABA dies, as long as there is still a box, you can keep going.

great! yes, that’s what I was missig. Solved …

life and death, so to speak

this game must have been really hard to balance the difficulty for. How many hints do you give to the player, how to judge what is hard when you know the solution as the designer.
I think, play testers were crucial for feedback.

Did anyone check the credits? Among the testers was some guy, Jonathan Blow and this game really feels like a Blow game …

The internet’s obsession with building a computer in every game is in early stages with this game:

( an and gate built with all in -game components).

I’m on a Baba is You discord and modding the game is a thing, which allows for sharing custom levels and rules. I believe official support for editing levels is coming.

Any general non spoiler hints for how to proceed in the metagame?

I have over 100 daisies, and have unlocked all the doors on the world map, but I’m not sure what to do now. I know there’s something else going on, but not sure how to access it. Are there some specific levels I should focus on, or should I try to 100% individual zones, or is there some other sneakier thing I’m just not seeing?

I’ve created “LEVEL IS KEY”, and I assume there’s more stuff along those lines, but don’t know where to go to find it.

So I’m on the train and can’t check the level numbers, but you’re on the right track.

Have you found anything else you can make level?

Thanks, that’s the kind of general hint I needed! I’ll take a closer look there.

Not many recent comments here, I did see quite a few Steam friends recommend this recently.

What say you qt3?

I picked it up today and started playing around with it. Seems a lot like Stephen’s Sausage Roll where simple mechanics rewire your noggin into sublime ‘aha!’ moments. One of the early puzzles where I became the Wall and moved the whole structure to win made me laugh out loud. Seems rich with possibility and brain-stumping fun but I’ve barely begun.

So how much of this is logic and lateral thinking puzzles, and how much of it is sokoban-style plot-out-all-your-moves-in-advance movement puzzles? I love the former, but absolutely hate the latter, and have been trying to figure out if this would work for me or not.