Baby Mama

SNL hasn’t been funny in a very long time, Tina Fey can be funny, Amy Poehler is most certainly not funny. 1/3, i think i’ll pass.

Well, then be puzzled. I think you only like the movie (in advance) because you have an ingrained affirmative action program for female comedians. We all have our favorites to which we give a little slack, and I guess that’s yours. I just thought there might be more to it, given that you were so aggressive in coming after the shitty Owen Wilson movie as by the numbers, blah comedy. I can’t see what else beyond an empathetic connection to the gender of the leads could lead you to conclude otherwise about this one- it looks like an SNL leftover, and not a good one, either. Correct me if I’m wrong about that, but it’s ok if you just want me to drop it as well.

You can picture me typing this in my Klan outfit, or whatever it is that stock misogynists wear, if it makes you feel better. I’m just going to conclude by noting that the guy who thinks Janeane Garofalo is funny thought the trailer sucked as well.

All I can say is that you made a really strange assumption based on… well, I don’t know what it was based on.

Not that critics have the final word on such things, but that shitty Owen Wilson movie got pretty roundly savaged in reviews, and that’s not happening with Baby Mama. So I’m not the only one who thinks it might be worth seeing.

And note that no where in my original post did I say, “OMG - this will be the BEST. MOVIE. EVAR!” It was a mild expression of interest, at most, followed by your not-so-mild expressions of revulsion. I thought it was weird, which I guess makes me a feminazi.

By the way, this is how I spend my weekends when there are no movies out featuring Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Janeane Garofalo, Kristin Wiig or any other SISTAS DOIN’ IT FOR THEMSELVES!

Probably not necessary. Anyways, enjoy your movie, and your box towing.

Does Mean Girls count? If so Fey has already succeeded.

We don’t – well, except for Lizard King…and Tom – but I see the studio’s point. IMO, guys in the non-discriminating movie age bracket of 14-22 will see a Sandler or Ferrell movie even when it has poor writing, casting, & directing. Male comedians have that much pull with that age group; the other parts of the movie can be mediocre (exhibit A: Talledega Nights) or downright bad (exhibit B: Blades of Glory). Female comedians, in a movie with no other reedeming features, won’t get the turnout from this group unless said comedians are hot & take their tops off (which Fey doesn’t, because I checked already).

I don’t see girls in this non-discriminating age range going for this either; the lower age range would head for the latest 'tween themed flick, & the higher age range would go for generic romantic comedy of the week.

I’ve found nothing redeeming in SNL movies since Wayne’s World, & I doubt that would hold up if I saw it again, so I won’t be seeing Baby Mama. Fey & Poehler’s comedy styles are just too different, mainly because Fey has one, & Poehler doesn’t. I’m pretty sure it’ll bomb at the box office, & while I’m sad that female comedies will be set back a few years, I’m happy that fewer movies that look this bad will be made.

The sad thing – to me – is that Amy Poehler used to be awesome in the Upright Citizen’s Brigade stuff. I’m not sure if my taste changed, if she got worse, or if it was some combination of the two. But I don’t love Amy like I used to. :(

Anyway, the offer still stands: I’ll see Baby Mama if someone wants to pay me $30. Anyone?

-Tom

Will you come to Nashville to see it for $30?

And yeah, she’s been kinda mainstreamed since joining SNL - UCB’s special brand of weird doesn’t play well with the average TV viewer. I don’t think it’s about getting “worse” as much as it is about appealing to a wider demographic. LAME!

A female version of the Odd Couple. How fresh and original.

There should be a section for this built into the frontpage. It’ll list current movies, what price Tom demands for going to see them, and a paypal donation link. Perhaps a maximum donation of a dollar per person, so for certain movies, the community would really need to pull together to get him to go.

I’d be down for this in a New York Minute (a movie which I’d be willing to pay up to $2.45 for Tom to see).

I love it.

Better not add a recurring payment system for old movies though, or I’d be paying for Tom to watch “Cool As Ice” every week.

I can understand that. I don’t think she’s used to her full potential on SNL. I first fell in love with her in her work on Conan O’Brien. The skits with her as Andy’s little sister were always brilliant.

I think Poehler has come a long way since UCB and her early SNL days. She’s finally figured out that overexaggeration is not the only way to be funny. Lots of her early stuff was so over the top that it was hard to watch.

I vote we send Tom into space and stream bad movies to him.

But how will he eat or breath or other science facts?

Bahim, you should really just relax.

-Tom

Ditto. Prior to 30 Rock I had no idea Fey could be funny, because nobody is funny on SNL. The fact it’s an SNL cast movie puts it into the same class as Will Ferrel movies and that one about the two guys who always dance to the same song. SNL usually drags when they just have to fill a 5 minute sketch; they don’t have nearly enough funny for a whole movie. However, if I hear from people I know that the movie is actually good, I’ll see it.

My interest plummeted after hearing that Fey didn’t write this. Mean Girls and 30 Rock are both great, but because of her acting? Meh.