Back 4 Blood

Clickbait BS title aside, seeing the little details in L4D and L4D2 compared to B4B is interesting. For example, I do greatly miss the physics for objects and the more realistic flashlight stuff.

Woof, that’s harsh but accurate. Makes me want to play some L4D.

disagree

The main thing where I notice L4D had Valve and Back 4 Blood didn’t isn’t in the minutia aspect or in some glitches that are purely bait (featuring them like they are common in the video when the reality is different).
The main difference is that Valve does heavy use of focus testing. They test their games a lot with private audience and change their games accordingly, masking sure it’s a well oiled machine.
Of course they can allow themselves to do that because Steam is funding them lol.

B4B is the opposite of that, it has some design decisions that don’t work very well, and is hard to image how they were done by a team, never mind passing a filter of a real focus test session.

After watching that video… Wow only 6 people who work for Turtle Rock now , worked on the original L4D series.

I assumed it was way more.

It definitely helped that Valve is obsessive about quality AND they don’t have to worry about money. It allows them to tinker and polish endlessly, or downright abandon franchises outright if they just aren’t feeling it.

AmA earlier today.

Doesn’t this just boil down to Zoey >>> Holly ?

Stock up on supply points!

And if you still don’t have it, Best Buy has the dirty-console-kid version for about $17.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/back-4-blood-standard-edition-xbox-series-x-xbox-one-xbox-series-s/6414031.p

I think I am going to call the double supply point weekend an unmitigated disaster. Time didn’t allow me to play much since the last patch, but I got a few games in and they were typical. Starting Friday, I’ve had only one run of what must now be 20+ where I didn’t quit because of either obvious and hardcore griefing or people being extraordinarily bad and also ignoring all communication (coms, typing, pinging). And that run had two complete potatoes in it (but one guy was pretty good).

Dammit, I am stalking the Games forum trying to find a L4D-like and every one is either passe or dying. Lemme know if we get a good one.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is OK, but is linear, limited to 3 people, and I think has finite replay value.

Anacrusis feels unfinished, rough, and indie, but their first big update shows the team is pushing it in a better direction.

Both of those have problems with no comms, griefing, and inept players.

I had a much better experience with the weekend, but I also set my CROSSPLAY to OFF, so I am only playing with PC gamers, and I also set it to prefer people with voice. Still not perfect, but better.

Depending on what you need to consider a game a L4D-like, Deep Rock Galactic? 4 player co-op with player class progression taking on various mission types and trash hordes plus special bugs.

We finished it last night and can’t wait to go back in with different classes and different gear on harder difficulties. The challenge cards are exciting and bonkers too. Our first playthrough was on Intense and I think that’s the absolute best way to play it. You’re less focused on the rhythm and ‘repetition’ of the game and more on simply staying alive and co-ordinating with your teammates. Honestly, I’m surprised how much we’ve all enjoyed it. I should put this in the right thread.

Yeah, DRG is the current king of co-op to me. It’s the game of choice now with the old friends I also played endless co-op L4D1&2 with. If B4B improves and remains on gamepass I hope to give it another go, but Deep Rock is hard to beat.

Deep Rock Galactic is such a great design! I wish I could stomach its Minecraft graphics and how mightily pleased it is with its overbearingly loudmouthed dwarf aesthetic. But I understand why people like it so much.

And what a great time to be a fan of horde and co-op shooters! Back 4 Blood, World War Z, Vermintide 2, and Aliens: Fireteam Elite are all excellent. And if those aren’t enough, there’s Outriders and the Call to Arms missions in Red Dead Online. It’s an absolute embarrassment of riches, not just in terms of the number of options, but in terms of how distinct they are from each other.

-Tom

This is one of my only (relatively minor) issues with the game. I like the mission voice over guy but nearly every other dwarf’s barks just annoy me. It’s the accent, delivery and ‘deep voice’ effect. They’re not Bardin from Vermintide, that’s for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYlMdEa8sc

4/12/22