Back to backlogs

Hell, I still have unopened copies of Strife and Full Throttle.

Ok, so according to this plan, I should have finished Mass Effect: Andromeda. But I got a nice way through it, and really enjoyed it. Completely explored two worlds, got them 100% viable, what more does a Pathfinder have to do? Time to retire.

So I’ll look through recommendations on PS+ in that thread now. Then in June and July it will be time to dive back into Dark Souls 3. Yay!

Arise, backlog thread! It has taken me a while but I figured out my backlog. I am gobsmacked it has grown to this extent.

ABZU - Just purchased
AOW 3 - the new expansion is what I really want to test out. Are the campaigns worth it?
Beyond Sol - I have 5 hours in. I think it might be good to revisit this one.
Big Pharma - Never played
Block’hood - 1 hour played and purchased last Christmas
Child of Light - 1 hour played and I purchased this two years ago.
Grim Dawn - 4 measly hours. I got bored of the maps all looking the same.
Hard West - Just purchased
Planet Coaster - 25 hours so far but this should be closer to 100.
Project Highrise - Just purchased
Rise of Nations - One year old and not one hour invested yet.
Rise to Ruins - Just purchased
Satellite Reign - A Christmas present still waiting to be unwrapped.
SteamWorld Heist - Just purchased
The Witcher 3
Thirty Years’ War - This may never get played with HOI 4 and Ultimate General: Civil War taking my wargaming time.
Total War: Warhammer - Shame on Granath for not playing this.

Then there are a whole heap of games where I am not all that eager to play but probably need to give them more of a chance. Many of these are bundle-type games that look mildly interesting. I am not even including these in the pile.

I think that is enough gaming goodness to last a year. Then Aven Colony comes out later this month and that gets added to the above list.

I’m actually going to finish my backlog this year. Mark this post down!

Wooo! You should have a list and put lines through stuff. Then it’s real.

Judicious use of Steam refunds mean I just have Sniper 4, Technomancer and Stellaris on my plate.

To consider a game done can you just say, “screw it I’m never going to play this - done!”.

Yep. That’s my most common way of finishing games. That’s how I finished Unity of Command in 5 minutes. And Close Combat. And Mount & Blade.

Me thinks this one could have used some more time. How did you decide you didn’t like it that quickly?

Oh I’ve been tracking it for 10 years now.

Half of my remaining backlog is albatross games that have been floating around in my mind for the last few years. They’ve been stuck because they’re hard to get into. They’re also potentially hard to get out of because they lack obvious stopping points.

Rise of Flight (last few planes)
Assetto Corsa
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Steel Beasts (tank sim)
Street Fighter 5

Usually something more immediate pops up and distracts me instead. I shouldn’t have that problem the rest of this year.

The other half of my backlog is classic brawlers I want to play for historical purposes:

The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2
Ninja Gaiden (probably Sigma on a borrowed PS3)

Once I’m done with all that, I’ll still have 10+ games from 2016-2017 I want to play, but they’re all relatively short and easy to pick up and play. I’ll grab those during the Steam winter sales and play them as I have time.

Updating my backlog:

PS4 - Bloodborne
PC - Tyranny & Pillars of Eternity & Torment & Divine Divinity
X1/PC - Forza Horizon 3
X1 - Rise of the Tomb Raider including Season Pass
360/PC - Dragon Age 2
X1 - Alien: Isolation
X1 - Mass Effect: Andromeda
X1/PC - Brothers
X1 - Grow Up
X1 - Witcher 3 Complete Edition
X1 - Headlander
X1 - Assassin’s Creed Revelations, AC3, AC4, AC: Unity, AC: Rogue, Syndicate
X1 - Dark Souls III
X1 - Never Alone collection
X1 - Just Cause 3 XL
X1 - Dragon Age: Inquisition through EA Access until March 2018
X1 - Battlefield 4 through EA Access until March 2018
X1 - Battlefield: Police through EA Access until March 2018
X1 - Mirror’s Edge Remake through EA Access until March 2018
PS4 - Ratchet & Clank
PS4 - God of War 3
PS4 - The Witness
PS4 - No Man’s Sky
X1 - Diablo 3
X1 - Batman: Arkham Knight
PC - DiRT 4
PC - DmC Devil May Cry
PC - Betrayer
360/PC - Alpha Protocol
360 - Space Marine
PC - Borderlands 2
PC - Broken Age Second half
PC - Anachronox second half (played first half when it was first released)
360/PC - Darksiders 2
360/PC - FEAR 2
360 - Condemned 2
360 - Raven’s Wolfenstein game
PC - Fallout New Vegas
PC/360 - Skyrim 2nd half
PC/X1 - Elite: Dangerous
PC - Kentucky Route Zero
PC - One Finger Death Punch
PC - Planetbase
PC - Portal 2 Coop campaign
PC - Rebel Galaxy
PC - Saints Row The Third second half
PC - Star Wars: Tie Fighter
PC - Star Wars; KOTOR 2 with the fan patch
PC - The Beginner’s Guide
PC - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
PC - Walking Dead Season 2
PC - To the Moon

Gosh, that’s all over the place. I’ll have to find some way of sorting that.

EDIT: Also adding currently installed:

PC - DiRT 4
X1 - Titanfall 2
X1 - Battlefield 1
X1 - Gears of War 4

That’s your whole backlog? Are we considering a backlog to be every unplayed game we own, or just the ones we have a realistic intention of playing at some point? I mean I’ve got over a thousand on Steam now. Doubt I’ll play them all.

No no, not the whole thing, just what I have on tap right now. Like the PC games are mostly what I have currently installed on my machine right now. And the 360/X1/PS4 games are just the ones that I’ve taken from my bookshelf upstairs to the drawer below the TV.

Oh cool, stuff that’s currently installed, I can probably do that off the top of my head.

On PC:
Antichamber
Abzu
Oxenfree
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Star Trek Online
Trine
Cosmic Star Heroine
Divinity: Original Sin
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Dreamfall Chapters
Oxenfree
Space Pirates and Zombies
Sunless Sea
Typing of the Dead
Torchlight 2
Unstoppable Gorg
Wasteland 2

On Xbox One:
Gears of War 4
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Lego Marvel Avengers
Diablo 3
Star Trek Online (I really like Star Trek)
Witcher 3
Minecraft
Dying Light
Plants vs Zombies

I think that’s about it. I’ve been playing Dreamfall Chapters off and on for a couple years, restarted it once after the engine change, just can’t seem to get moving. Also think I’ll set Witcher 3 aside until Scorpio is released, hoping it will help with load times and such. But those are what I am playing now and then.

My backlog is…HAHAHA! It could take days just to write it out!!!

My backlog is completely nonexistent. No obligations lie heavy on my chest. No unplayed games gnaw at the back of my mind. Nothing rushes me to wrap up a game I’m enjoying to move on to the next thing. I have revoked that power from them.

Now, if you want to talk about the smorgasbord of varied experiences available at my fingertips whenever I have an hour of leisure, or the garden of unearthly delights within which I wander at will, that’s another story.

In all honesty, you’ve described my nightmare scenario. To finish a game and realize I had nothing there to take its place? I just got a shiver.

See you there in December!

I have thousands of unplayed games. Even being conservative, my list of games I really do expect to someday play is at least 100.

Perils of a lifetime of gaming and still coveting new gaming experiences, and wanting to support the industry and developer friends, but having too many other obstacles in my life.

The stuff I have completely given up on though are MMOs (or multiplayer only games) and strategy games. I just can’t fit them into my life any more.

Why those? Do they take too long to play? Too many of them and you’re just wiping the slate clean?

Heh, sorry my post was unclear. The point wasn’t that I have nothing to play, but that I’ve reconceptualized my (massive) pile of unplayed or underplayed games from an obligation to a resource. I’ve got options to explore for whatever mood happens to strike me, but I’ve consciously removed “I have to get around to ____” from how I approach them. I play what I feel like at any given time, and if something goes unplayed, I haven’t lost anything.

It’s not about experiencing a specific list of games before I die, it’s about filling my gaming hours with joy, and accepting that there are way more possible choices to do that with than there are hours to fill.