Back to backlogs

Pretty sure those games will be available and cheaper once you retire…

Holy shit, that’s exactly what my folder is named.

I have Crap, Reserve and Library. So I’m far from an organizer.

Backlogs…

Playing:
Tomb Raider - fantastic game that I regret not playing closer to release.

On hold:
Dishonored - lovely game. I completed the base game, and just bought the DLC. Will probably start playing that after TR
Skyrim + all DLC - Really enjoyed this, but some glitches with my install (can’t see under water) made me drop this one since it got more about fixing the glitch than playing the game.
Borderlands 2 - not really feeling this one. Since the checkpoint saves makes me replay the same content so much, the urge to go back to it is really low
Deus Ex:HR - DC - Really enjoyed this one, but currently distracted by other games.
FC3
Splinter Cell Blacklist - Liked this one, will probably go back it if I get the feel to shoot more. Not sure if I’ll finish
XCOM EU - Really enjoyed this one, but near the end game I sort of lost interest a bit. Will probably finish
AC3 - Don’t think I will finish this one. I am very close to the end, but have completely lost interest. Might give it 30 minutes to finish during holidays if I’m bored just to experience the ending (although there is Youtube for that).

Well that seem pretty manageable. You reminded me I have Borderlands 2 as well. Another attempt to find a coop title for Mrs Alistair. Sigh.

My backlog in the Strategy category haunts me in my sleep

You are going to buy games at full price now to play them in a years time, because you wont have the income to buy them then? Surely you are joking, but just in case you’re not: how about putting the extra income aside now, so you’ll have the money to buy the games you want, at a fraction of full price, by the time you get around to playing them?

Edit: which is what Alistair allready said a few posts up. I really need to learn to read on before posting…

Steam should do a much better job of displaying a collection. It should know what series are, and which order things come in, and put DLC at some sub level etc etc.

You mean you play each one for a month :\

I’ve been looking at how to assault the backlog while still in the grace period where I’m playing games I want to play :) I’m trying a Need for Speed, and about 15 races in, have remembered how to turn corners…

I should be finishing Tomb Raider. I am so near the end. But I stopped for a few months and now I am not sure I know what the controls are. And Dragon Age Origins - I am also nearing the end. But I got stuck in one level - the fight was just too hard even on Easy Difficulty. Currently, these are filed under … “Someday”… but I really want to file them under “Complete” by watching the ending in Youtube. LOL!

My gaming allowance will be dropping from several hundred a month to $200 - $300 a year and since I already trained myself to buy games on sale and with a backlog of 50-60 games I should be good until Social Security kicks in. Mind you I’m not spending all of my gaming budget now just a little for some games on sale and I’m putting the rest into savings. My $200 - $300 a year is coming from the interest from putting money aside.

Progress Report:

I got Planescape: Torment installed again with all the recommended mods. To my surprise, since I last installed the game back in 2010, there have been a ton of new iterations of all those mods. The tweakpack, the wide screen mod, the SkyUI mod, etc, they all have had several new versions between 2010 and now. Amazing. The dedication of these fans.

I downloaded and installed all the mods, created my Nameless One and woke up again in the Mortuary.

The only thing I don’t like is that my journal takes up a small portion of my 1920x1080 screen. I miss having that fill the screen.

The music and the art is so good, so timeless. I can feel myself fall under this game’s spell again.

I’ve been reading China Mieville’s Perdido Street Station and the city so reminds me of Sigil in P:T that I get nostalgic for the game as I’m reading.

Excellent - I managed Planescape in one of my earlier backlog clearing sessions.

In NFS land, I won a race! Out of about 30! I think ‘completing’ this requires me to win them all. I am… in trouble.

I like how you’re playing the worst Need for Speed game ever made, and I’m playing the best RPG ever made.

I’m liking it though I don’t really play race games. I think Tom enthused about this one so I would have got it on sale. If it just spent less time in car-choice-and-colour menus, it would be great. Looks very nice and is absolutely playable in small bites, of even one race at a time.

Edit: Maybe I don’t need gold in all these races to call it done. Maybe medalling is enough :)

IT BEGINS.

Shame I didn’t find the Change View control until after it was done :)

Congrats! What’s next?

You should save Divinity for last seeing as they’re still patching and adding stuff to that :)

Good idea with backlog tag in steam, might have to add one myself.

My backlog is downright shameful. I’m too much a victim of needing to see the hot new thing.

Idea: Maybe some sort of self-imposed “For each 2 games you finish you can buy a new one.” This may cause me to run through really short games if I really want something new, but it’d still be making progress on the backlog!

Divinity was already installed on my laptop so I made a start on it while away for Christmas. Just through the tutorial dungeon :) I have Inky Dragons and FC4 on the go, so there won’t be too much time for the less exciting bits of backlog. I think I should do something different - maybe a wargame like Eador.