Baldurs Gate 3?

Might someone explain to me what BG3 being like DOS, or whatever, might be an issue?

It only would be if you didn’t like D:OS 1 or 2, which some folks here seemed to not like.

To those folks I would suggest playing in co-op; as a co-op experience D:OS and its sequel was one of my fondest gaming experiences, and I suspect playing BG3 will be the same - the fiddley stuff (including the puzzles and quest pacing, as well as inventory and skill management) become a lot less tiresome with an “extra pair of hands” and the combat is really rewarding tactically with two players working together with two characters each, imo. Note that I’ve tried and bounced off playing OS and OS2 at least twice each solo. It’s just a lot more annoying by yourself.

BG3 seems to reduce the annoyance on all of that stuff, even this early in, and I love the 5th edition mechanics much more than the OS mechanics, so it wins out there as well, but even so I think when this launches I’m going to play this with @ShivaX and it will likely be all the more enjoyable for it.

I just started yet another PoE2 play through, this time as a pure monk (creatively named Shaolin Sho’Nuff. . .man, I’m terrible with character names). It’s been a good 5-6 months since I played it and I’m loving this monk’s top tier abilities. RTwP though, too many trash fights that take too long in turn based mode.

Thanks bud. Appreciated.

Maybe read the previous posts?

I’m not really interested in playing through an entire CRPG co-op though if that is what it takes to enjoy DOS2 more. CRPGs are too long and there is a lot of reading, sorting inventory, etc…

DOS is not like BG as far as combat goes. It’s very much its own thing. Some people like this combat, and some people have concerns because DOS combat doesn’t feel like D&D. Almost all spells act like AoE and must be aimed. Too much elemental surfaces and as already mentioned miss clicking.

Also in DOS there are more fiddly environmental puzzles with dungeons that actually feel like they were built by a game developer instead of built to be a believable environment within the fictional world. (something that harkens back to the original Divine Divinity end game dungeons)

That’s for sure. As for multiplayer CRPGs, I believe this guy said it best.

The co-op is what attracted me to DOS2 but it failed to save it or really alleviate any of my issues with it, or for my friend for that matter. He wasn’t shy about letting me he’d be a hard pass if that was I wanted play next time we got together (digitally speaking).

I came across this on Era and wanted to post it here because it very neatly defines my issues with BG3 as it stands right now almost exactly.

Except the last issue, 6-man party would not be my choice in this particular game, this is 100% something I can get on board with. These issues, from the lack of “chain” movement (especially when jumping over gaps or up slight cliff edges) to how annoying the barrel/crate spam is and how easy/frequently you are expected to move things around sums up almost all of what I found exhausting and frustrating in the game.

I still like nearly every other aspect of the game, mind, but I am pleased to see these are the general summation on the official forums as it gives a strong indication that at least some of this stuff will get addressed by launch. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, fuck chain-movement. 100% another DOS import there. It makes scouting ahead with one character more of pain.

The bigger problem is it’s forced. You must use chain movement because you can’t select and move the whole party. You can only select and move a single character at a time. Less control for…what exactly, easier game programing?

Embrace the Lasso!

Related to this, I found the characters I wasn’t controlling further back than I would have been comfortable with when a fight started, since they tend to trail behind a ways even when they are supposed to be moving together.

Pretty much exactly my experience. A game with deeply flawed combat, incoherent writing, poor quest construction, and a miserable mess of an inventory system can only be improved so much by playing it with a friend. It pretty much turns into MST3K, but less fun.

If BG3 is DOS3 it’s a hard pass and that makes me incredibly sad, though not really surprised. I was worried from the moment Larian got the license.

Another thing the DOS games did several times that I hope never shows up in BG3…is having you “object hunt” a cluttered room. The worst of this was in DOS1 where the room was several screens long…and you had to frob like 4 tiny switches no larger than your cursor that blend into the environment to open a door. I checked online because fuck that.

The only gameplay mechanics complaint I have so far is the puddles that magic spells leave. It just doesn’t feel very D&D to me.

I am playing through DOS2 now. About to finish up Act II.

One thing that really strikes me is item level scaling. I hope they don’t do this for BG3.

Cool, you found the Holy Avenger sword at level 10? Item power is set to level 10…and you’ll be replacing it in two levels time with a non-magical claymore you bought at a vendor for 50 gold at level 12 because it does twice the damage.

That’s discouraging. I was hoping it would be more DnD and less DOS environmental stuff.

And then Scott breathes some life back into it.

This was definitely a compliant for DOS2 and a their way of having a money sink through out the whole game, BG2 was great as those named weapons were truly a source of power for large portions of the game. Anyone know if devs have commented on this?

I can’t imagine they can have items scaling like that because D&D 5th edition doesn’t have that sort of crazy power curve.

Not in the books, but they’re already outside the books, so anything is possible.
The rules allow for a +8 Sword of Annihilation or whatever. You could code it and fit it in the rules easily.
It would be a terrible idea and it would bork balance, but the option is there. Making every fire spell start people and shit on fire is already breaking balance completely and they’re doing that. Gotta keep the melee fighters on par, etc, etc.

Well, the rules say even basic fire cantrips can set THINGS on fire if they aren’t being worn or carried, but yeah people is not supposed to be a thing.

So yeah they are break the rules adding some of these effects, and they have gone overboard. I do think that having the sort of rapid scaling where an awesome weapon at level 8 is pure junk at level 10 would require changing every number in the 5e rules to have it make any sense at all. It seems like a level of change that they haven’t done so far.

That said, I think the gear will be a lot more potent than you would expect in a regular tabletop game. It’s just the sort of exponential scaling really, really doesn’t fit.