Baldurs Gate 3?

NOICE!

Larian is a good studio, they will do this properly.

I’m going to need to crack open the Enhanced Editions of BG1 and BG2 over the next year or so to get myself prepared.

BG2 is one of my favorite games ever. For those who haven’t played it, expect to put in more than 200 hours if you are a completionist.

This my favorite thing about this forum:

(Thread necros are the best).

Also, I really hope this is Baldur’s Gate III, and I really hope Larian gets the tone right in the writing.

Oh hey cool, maybe this means Baldur’s Gate 3 will be turn based? I’d be down for that.

Surely, right? I mean, Larian writing but rtwp mechanics is sort of the worst case scenario…

This is going to spank Dragon Age 4 so hard.

I assume they’ll be pulling in D&D 5th edition rules also. The thing is, they were hinting at this back in 2017.

I think I would rather Larian work on DOS3.

I’m not sure I can get excited about a 5e product, which one assumes this is.

It definitely will be, unless they release a 6e in the meantime.

I liked 3rd edition rules, which is when I played D&D in real life. What’s changed since then in fifth edition that you don’t like?

That’s a topic that is beyond the scope of this thread. I will simply say that 5e tried to fix the worst faults and excesses of 3e and 4e, which is a noble and understandable goal. I think the result was an uninteresting system though. If I wanted to escape 3e/4e, I would play one of the numerous 0e/1e clones (or the originals), or something else entirely.

While familiar, 5e (as every edition of D&D is) is pretty different from 3e (4e was too).

What do you all think will happen?

Real Time with Pause to stay in line with BG1 and 2 or Turn Based utilizing Larian’s strength?

What’s interesting is that like a hundred years have passed in the Forgotten Realms since the time of BG2, so they’ll need to move the timeline up quite a lot.

Excellent news. As long as it has turn based in it I am happy/

Also yeah confirmed.

I personally adore 5e, as someone that’s a little burned out on Pathfinder/3.5th edition, and I feel like the mechanical changes 5e brings are excellent, and the closest to the spirt of 3rd edition yet (4th edition was very different, tone/mechanics wise).

I have a feeling that, if this is indeed BG3 (and all signs point to it) this will be a turn-based RPG using the 5e rules. And about fucking time. The last time we got a proper D&D game that used proper pen and paper rules it was freaking Temple of Elemental Evil, ffs.

turn-based 5e? perks up

5e is wonderful. I got burned out on Pathfinder last year, after having played 3e+ since 1999 or whenever it came out. Shit I still have a shrink wrapped bundle of 2nd edition to 3rd edition conversion guides. I wonder if those are worth anything…

Anyway I’m stoked, I hope this teaser means it’s out like this summer.

Maybe they’re working on that too? 3 studios allow for multiple projects.

Almost assuredly.

Also don’t forget they have that tactical Divinity game (Fallen Heroes) coming that takes place after the events of DOS2, I think that’s scheduled for later this year yet.

My only experience with 5th Ed was Sword Coast Legends. It was not great, but probably better than any of the recent Bioware or Obsidian systems. I hate the “heavier armor increases your cool downs” systems.