Baldurs Gate 3?

I barely used barrels in any manner and I was totally fine playing at the standard difficulty. I did make some use of the shove - usually it wasn’t pushing someone to their death. I made it through DOS1, but didn’t like the focus on elemental gimmicks. I didn’t make it out of the first big area in DOS2 - felt too much of a slog, even though I did like the characters. As I said upthread BG3 is one of my favorite tactical RPGs in a long time. I thought that characters were great, and the tactical system was good and didn’t have a lot of trash fights so it didn’t get bogged down in repetitive combat.

Yeah, setting up the environment is wholly optional on the default difficulty.

It’s cheesy in any event, however, especially at low level when a barrel of cheap brandy can somehow kill an entire enemy group who were friendly up until the moment you shot a flame bolt at the barrel they ignored when you dropped it in their midst.

Just following along too, and slowly watching a slow LP… the clear picture is YMMV. Barrels and shoves are definitely optional, but if you feel the temptation you can’t not feel it and ignore the exploits; same with the narrative, if over the top fantasy with lots of diversions isn’t to your taste, then I can see how it would grate.

I didn’t play it during early access, but my guess is it was the thing that cut down a lot and reduced the DOS1/2 elemental chaos. And put a restriction on explosive barrel access and availability. Because it definitely didn’t really address the UI problems. I write that off as the game being designed for multiplayer at the same time so they don’t care to change anything there at all…

Shove as a bonus action is the only real questionable culprit that is noticeable. It feels less impactful or relevant mid-to-late game. It feels strong early game when you only have one attack per round. (so until you reach level 5). And there are a lot of chasms. Not quite on the level of Dark Messiah’s kick, but it approaches the threshold.

The DOS1/2 “physics engine” is still there so you can do silly stuff, but that doesn’t really bother me. It’s just sometimes difficult to aim spells exactly because of height differences or obstructions due to hard to read line of sight where as in other D&D crpgs you don’t really have this issue. Hilariously, this makes magic missile look way cooler because it ignores all this jazz and will curve around obstacles and radically shift in direction mid-flight as needed to hit targets no matter what.

You could absolutely play through the entire game making no use of the environments or shoves. There are definitely fights where making smart use of the environment makes the encounter trivial, and other times you can get yourself into trouble if you just shoot off a fireball without even looking at the oil on the ground or whatever, but you do not have to play this like a puzzle game figuring out environment chains, which I can see how someone might have felt that way about D:OS2.

You can beat the game with ANY group composition with any subclasses. It’s not a challenging game for anyone experienced with the d20 system. But it’s fun, I really enjoyed it overall though i’ve got complaints like anyone.

Yea, there is almost always a better use for a bonus action than shove once you pass level 5 or 6.

I think it’s a smart addition, as it gives you more stuff to do early in the game when you really don’t have many choices to make.

It’s easier on average in comparison to other D&D crpgs for sure. Early game is still the hardest part and has the the only tight area/level restricted areas so there is an optimal order to doing things without running into trouble.

Once you reach level 5 this all pretty much goes away for the rest of the game forever.

This is accurate on Tactician as well. Nor do you need to have meme multiclass, save-scumming or anything else. You can play it straight.

Haha yeah right. The reality is people are save-scumming those dice rolls. Especially since you can save mid-conversation. Inspiration be damned!

People might be doing it and that is their choice, but the difficulty doesn’t require it.

Sure, but save-scumming isn’t only having to do with combat difficulty, just any undesirable outcome e.g. save-scumming in order to unlock a DC30 locked metal door without burning two dozen lockpicks.

BG3 invites a lot of save-scumming, which I guess is a different conversation.

For me DC30 means “the designers don’t want me to succeed” so it doesn’t bother me. Either there’s a way to get the same result without the roll, or it’s so optional I feel I don’t have to succeed.

What’s way more annoying is DC 15 with advantage and +13 to the roll and … critical failure. That might well piss me off enough to scum it.

Scum it dude!

Yeah I’m not a big fan of this sort of thing when it’s a one-time check (I don’t care if I’m doing something like lockpicking and just need to use another pick). I prefer skill level requirements, if I have the skills for the task then I should pass.

I havent finished the game yet, but the only times I’ve seen door with that DC level, its because there are OTHER ways of opening it, than brute force lockpicking.

That was just one such example. There’s also DC30 dialog checks here and there. Even in Act 1. But yeah, scumming it due to critical failures is an even better example. You’ve also got 25 quick save slots by default and you can increase it. So scummers can really spam F5 with peace of mind.

There could be more auto-saves though. I feel like they are randomly placed. Or to be more generous, curated.

That’s a good thing about it. Pathfinder games look similar but require obnoxious hoop jumping to get through. Going into BG3 I was afraid that its modern d20-ness would make it insufferable the way BG never was. But it’s similar to BG in that regard. I’ve completed BG2 as a teen not knowing what d20 was and it’s perfectly possible to do here - complete the game on normal difficulty without mastering the ruleset I mean, the game won’t allow you to not know what d20 is. You’ll have challenging decisions in applying the rules to manipulate the environment, while a game like Pathfinder uses vastly inferior UI to make you drown in internal terminology and math optimization without it interacting with anything on the screen.

On the other hand, I still remember Pathfinder WotR locations and characters despite hating the game and dropping it midway, BG3 is already an inoffensive blur in my memory.

DC 30 checks aren’t that hard. DC 99, now those are the doors you’re not supposed to lockpick!

The doors they don’t want you to pick just say Impossible to lockpick actually. You usually have to do a puzzle to unlock them. Hard pass.

For the record I always save scum when one of my idjit companions becomes the face of the party. Blast these flaky as fuck cutscene trigger plates.