Baldurs Gate 3?

It put me off making a tiefling in this game. There was no option to remove the horns.

D&D went full anime aesthetic with 4e, and 5e has continued the trend. It’s been good for their sales I guess, but it’s not for me.

Ah, you’re right about the Pathfinder games. I guess since there are so many damn freakin’ Tieflings in BG3 and they are all full blown devil people, it seemed worth mentioning. I might have suspected they were just all from the same super devil looking Tiefling stock I guess…If you do compare them to actual devils in the game, the only difference is like…the devil’s have wings.

The recent D&D movie also has a Tiefling but it is of the subtle variety from earlier editions of D&D.

So I checked for myself and you can choose the broken horns then hide them under hair. It’s the best I could do. (Also making a more human/elf looking Tiefling of course)

Yeah I saw that but I didn’t like it. It’s fine I went half elf and got the look I wanted, plus half elves have better racial powers.

I’ve avoided this thread and almost all other BG3 related stuff until I finished the game. I’ve finished it twice now, and gotten all the achievements. Larian certainly didn’t disappoint. I love this game. Even with D&D rules (which I’m not a big fan of in CRPGs), this is one of my favorite games of all time.

I can’t seem to get enough, so I’m starting a third playthrough to try some things that I didn’t do in the first two. Also, going to install some mods to remove the carry weight restrictions and add some additional autosort bags for better inventory management. I should have done it on the first (or second) playthrough.

Really impressed…

I really dreaded the thought of playing this game more at the start of Act 3. The game is just so damn long. But Act 3 has a great momentum to it once it gets rolling. There are so many epic encounters.

I put a couple of mods in my latest play, so much fun. Unlimited spell casting…what a game changer, I’ve always hated the long rest mechanic. You only really have to go to camp to change out party members, or trigger cut scenes. It removes a major source of tedium in the game for me, not only the camping, but the rebuffing.

10/10, would recommend.

I guess it hasn’t started to roll yet. I find myself doing only one quest before quitting out of the game. It’s been like this for days. One quest a day.

I would say Act 3 does sort of feel like BG2 Chapter 2. Ignoring named towns folk now at my peril. There are a lot of quests. Putting this at the end of the game instead of the start for whatever reason makes me exhausted. I’m tired.

4th Edition. They had some lore reason for it I think, but I also preferred the old style with more variety. Now they all feel samey. The upside is that at least BG3’s tieflings look better than the official ones.

I loathe how the official art makes the horns look. It just looks derpy to me. At least BG3 has cool horns.

Finished this tonight. I thought it was great and a worthy successor. I ended up romancing Karlach and I quite enjoyed it. I loved her British accent and it’s easy to like Karlach with her enthusiasm.

While I have a few nits the biggest I have is I do think they put the level cap too low at 12 and I would have rather had 14. There is plenty of experience and I don’t think they would have had any issue with selecting only a few spells, much like 6th level, that didn’t break the game to include as well as that 3rd attack. Perhaps it was a limit of the AI or how they scaled their enemies.

I ended up going 11 High Elf Wiz/1 Cleric. I’m itching for another run this time Evil with Lae’zel, Asterion, and Minthara. In my co-op playthrough, I’m watching through the eyes of someone else romancing Astarion and he is a bitchy drama queen that grows on you. While I haven’t seen Lae’zel past her spawn point on both my games.

Lae’zel is awesome lol.

The high point of Tiefling design was Annah. Tail included. Shame the graphics and artwork wasn’t as good as the writing and voice work!

Yeah I had to take 2-3 weeks off before I was ready. The final town area feels way too large. I’m honestly happy it wasn’t worse. I’m close to the end now.

An evil Dark Urge play through is totally worth it, the game’s narratives play out quite a bit differently.

I enjoyed the good Urge play thru as well.

IIRC, Tony Diterlizzi was the first person tasked with doing their artwork for their publication in 1994 for D&D 2nd Edition (Planscape setting, of course). His style was very distinct to modern D&D, and absolutely leaned on them looking far more human. The OFFICIAL description at that time included:
“Superficially human, their appearance always betrays them: some sport small horns, other have pointed ears, scales, a cloven hoof, or just a wicked gleam in their eye that never leaves. What they all have in common is a quick temper and a chip on their shoulder.” - Planescape Monstrous Compendium

The 5E description is now:
“Tieflings are derived from human bloodlines, and in the broadest possible sense, they still look human. However, their infernal heritage has left a clear imprint on their appearance. Tieflings have large horns that take any of a variety of shapes: some have curling horns like a ram, others have straight and tall horns like a gazelle’s, and some spiral upward like an antelopes’ horns. They have thick tails, four to five feet long, which lash or coil around their legs when they get upset or nervous. Their canine teeth are sharply pointed, and their eyes are solid colors—black, red, white, silver, or gold—with no visible sclera or pupil. Their skin tones cover the full range of human coloration, but also include various shades of red. Their hair, cascading down from behind their horns, is usually dark, from black or brown to dark red, blue, or purple.” - D&D Beyond

This is just me spitballing, but one thing which stands out to me that happened between 1994 and today was the Dragon Age series of games, featuring the Qunari . . . whose looks also evolved. I suspect there’s at least some connection in the evolution of the Tiefling look to that.

This is the first massive RPG I think I’ve ever looked forward to doing a replay in, in large part do to the durge option. Usually RPGs, especially of this length, are one-and-done.

Don’t know that I’ll do it right away - may come back down the road after more patches and to see the mod landscape, but the uh… urge, is there.

I wonder how much of the game it cuts out if you kill every NPC including companions you encounter other than Withers so you can recruit some mercenaries.

Not planning on a replay until the Enhanced Edition a year from now. After the game patching wines down a little and mods are on solid ground. I might start a second faux run that only lasts a few hours like I do with most CRPGs.

Age of Decadence has the record for back to back replays at like 7. But that game is short. You could beat it eight times over before finishing Act 1 of BG3.

was firing this up to play today and clicking play it just pauses a bit then goes back to not doing anything. I verified files and same result. Game simply won’t start. Any tips?