Banner Saga: Turn-based Viking RPG

Some former Bioware folks have gone and made their own company, and they are making an RPG with turn-based combat and a chilly viking theme.

http://stoicstudio.com/index.html

“The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy.”

Looks quite lovely. Apparently a free-to-play multiplayer mode will be first out of the gate.

Looks pretty cool. Count me interested. :)

• Jon

OoooOOOoooooooh, nice!

Nice, definitely on the radar now. Along with many other indy titles I hope to see before 2020.

Whoa, nice. Has a kind of “Secret of Kells” aesthetic going on there in the animation, which is great.

Doesn’t say what platform. Anyone know?

Saw this a little while ago, but didn’t see the video. My excitement level went up a little after seeing that.

RPS has the story, and they are usually PC-centric, so thats what I assume.

Whoa, that looks really interesting. Love the animation.

That is one seriously long banner…

This looks really cool and unique. The animation style combined with the Viking motiff make it a probable month-one purchase for me, especially if the price point is $30 or less.

Please take my money!

Vikings, RPG, and turn based. I like what I’m hearing so far. Digging the art style from the video, too.

Those Vikings aren’t standing in their assigned squares! This is turn based strategy, you can’t just go standing anywhere willy-nilly.

Notice to all Viking Berserkers. Please remain within your assigned space when attempting decapitation.

Tony

Can’t wait to see how this turns out. The potential for greatness is there…it’s being made in a re-purposed goat shed for cryin’ out loud!

“No goats, no glory”

Reminds me of the Bayeaux Tapestry which would cause some serious h-scroll break if ever embedded in a website. It’s a viking saga/story that was embroidered onto a long ass tapestry. You can check it out here: File:Tapisserie de Bayeux 31109.jpg - Wikipedia

I like how the ox knows where to go.

It’s not really Viking, it’s Norman. They were Vikings that settled in Normandy and conquered England under William the Conqueror. The tapestry is about the conquest.

That is amazingly cool! I had never heard of that and the history behind it is very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Grifman - was about to post this myself, as I was there last year to see the Tapestry and then visit the castles of William afterwards - history is fun!

My mother worked on a hundred metre tapestry a couple of years ago, inspired by the Bayeux tapestry, but set around the Jacobite Rising. Maybe tapestry is coming back.