Baphomet wants a place on the Oklahoma state capitol steps

Papa Nurgle totally needs a public statue, preferably in a shallow depression near food vendors. Custodial staff will not be allowed to clean out the trash soup that forms. After all, Nurgle loves all living things equally. It’s too bad we’re outnumbered by bacteria a trillion to one, but he must do what’s best for the largest number, right?

Nah, there are historical roots to basically all the 40K stuff :)

You might not care that much, but you got your Flood story mixed up with your Sodom and Gomorrah story.

Yeah, though the Noah story with his son seeing him naked and him cursing his son is equally weird. It’s an easy mistake to make.

My mistake, I did indeed think it was Noah both times. Imagine my relief, assuming I’m not descended from an Ammonite or Moabite.

Seriously. Those Moabites are the worrrrrrst.

Needs giant shoulder pads to show how powerful it is.

It’s so great they actually made the thing. When they’re not allowed to put it up, I hope they’ll let me put it in my front room.

Man, that looks better than the CG mock-up.

It sure as hell (heh) looks better than most crappy public sculpture.

So this happened. Sort of.

Last night, a statue of Baphomet was unveiled (amidst much chanting and "hail Satan"ing) in an industrial building in Hell… er… well, the closest thing, really: Detroit.

The Temple originally applied for the statue to be installed in 2012 near a Ten Commandments monument on the Oklahoma State Capitol grounds. After that application was denied, the Temple decided on Detroit, where the Satanic Temple is said to have a stronger-than-average congregation.

Blackmore said Saturday that temple members planned to transport the sculpture to Arkansas, where the governor recently signed a bill authorizing a Ten Commandments monument on the State Capitol’s grounds.

Those few individuals in Detroit who have NOT sold their souls to the Prince of the Power of the Air are not pleased.

“Satan has no place in this city, or any other city,” said James Bluford of Rochester Hills, who was among the first to arrive for the prayers.

Renla Session of Detroit came carrying a placard that said: “SATAN can not exist where there is truth and JESUS is the TRUTH.”

Martin C. Tutwiler of Oak Park said the statue is disrespectful of the City of Detroit. He said the Satanic Temple was forcing the statute on the city because “they think we’re down as a city.”

Wow, that’s something else right there.

I can bet christians just HATE the statue.

I say so what. It just another religion’s statue. Put it next to the rest.

Yea but to be fair, it’s not really another religion. It’s more of a black-eye, typical shit-eating grin, sticking it to the man, stuff. Emo teenagers don’t really count as worshipers.

Imagine if anti-Muslims agitated to put up in public places statues of Iblis, our lord and master, conquerer of the false prophet, Muhammed. Or states of a dead Buddha covered in jewels, the unenlightened rotting body of a rich man’s son. Probably not as much enthusiasm all of a sudden.

Wouldn’t matter to me.

Just another religion’s statue on some steps.

What if it was a Mohammod statue?

Christians would cry just as much.

My point was that it wasn’t just another religions’s statue: i think that’s disingenuous. It’s actually a statue glorifying the antagonist of a religion. The only point of it was to highlight the hypocrisy of judges trying to get 10 Commandments statues on the front lawns of courthouses, but really it’s pretty offensive outside of that specific context.

I’m religious (Christian, but more Deist lately), I don’t find it offensive.

I wouldn’t care if they put one here, right on the capitol’s steps.

It seems like a non issue to me.

They’re a religion.

From the CSM article linked above:

The Satanic Temple of Detroit is non-theistic and does not celebrate the Judeo-Christian representation of Satan, [director of the Satanic Temple of Detroit] Blackmore said. The group’s website defines Satan as “a symbol of man’s inherent nature, representative of the eternal rebel, enlightened inquiry and personal freedom rather than a supernatural deity or being.”

I think Baphomet should have his pinky raised as well.