Barbie - Greta Gerwig's magnum opus

That actually looks pretty fun and yeah, Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling are perfect. I’m curious how this will ride the line between straight comedy, cultural subversion, and parody. The potential for subversion and parody are almost too obvious, so how do you manage that? How much editorial control did Mattel have? Will Ken and Barbie bump their smooth crotches together? Will they switch heads?

Rule 34, friend. Rule 34.

I mean, Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach are involved. There’s no way I’m not seeing it.

Yup. I don’t know anything about this other than the fact that they are not using the song Barbie Girl in the movie, but I have to imagine Gerwig and Baumbach will not be serving up a straightforward movie for little girls.

Was that some weird mashup cover of the Magnum PI theme song there at the end, or do I just have it stuck in my head from the greatest theme song thread?

Maybe I’m overestimating audiences, but that teaser was fairly cinephile for their target audience.

I think they have a pretty good idea of who their target audience is, and that’s why currently “Barbie” is trending #2 worldwide on the dying bird website.

Yup. Again, if you think this is going to be intended for kids and not adults, you may have missed a clue.

Okay, I must admit, not what I was expecting, and it might work.

The hard part is believing Mattel would let them make that movie.

Holy Homoerotic Gosling, Barbie.

Anything with Margot Robbie is obviously intended for adults. And probably teens? Adults for sure though.

South Park Nice GIFs | Tenor

That teaser trailer was great.

If the tone of the trailer is indicative of the rest of the movie, I could totally enjoy something like that (starring Margot Robbie doesn’t exactly hurt either).

Hot take: she’s attractive.

Reaaaaly? I never noticed.

In Wolf of Wall Street, when she turns DiCaprio’s character into a human shaped puddle? Believable.

Are they going full Doll-ywood meets Bollywood?

There’s a very real possibility that later this year we’ll be arguing about whether a Barbie movie or Dungeons & Dragons was better.

I love the ingenious casting of Emma Mackey in this. It’s gonna be like Margot Robbie inception.