Barbie - Greta Gerwig's magnum opus

I still can’t wrap my head around Gerwig and Baumbach doing this.

Well there’s the whole movie for you.

Yeah the latest trailer is classic hollywood spoilery bad.

Yeah, I was almost intrigued until I saw that Will Ferrell is the villain. So, glad I got to watch the whole movie in under three minutes!

I am 100% ready for this hopefully bit of awesomeness.

Is this in the Toy Cinematic Universe with The LEGO Movie?

But Zoolander!

Same here, especially as someone who hates the toxic femininity of Barbie. But I still wonder how subversive this can be, as means of selling more Barbies in the very end.

I do not think the trailer gives away very much at all, certainly not anything you wouldn’t have guessed from the teaser trailer released a month or two ago.

And Barbie dancing joyfully while proclaiming that every day from now 'til forever is the best day…and then suddenly asking “Do you guys ever think about dying?” feels like something that comes straight out of the director’s (and countless others) lived experience as a moment of realization in adolescence. (And its a moment of shared experience that many, many films have tried to articulate but haven’t done nearly so fully as here, perhaps.)

For me the biggest reveal of the trailer was the pretty adorable bit of stunt-casting that shows up.

“There’s no such thing as an anti-Barbie film.”
-Truffaut, surely

well, this was unexpected.

WTF.

Been a while since I’ve read these but this sounds vaguely correct:

https://twitter.com/tylerhuckabee/status/1675838648330199042?s=46&t=q1HWZnapBhcdbtSNUtA10w

And she could do The Magician’s Nephew, which is the first chronologically in earth time, and volume one in some Narnia box set releases.

So do we actually know whether this is going to have any real Gerwig flavour at all yet? The Narnia news has me worried she’s going to be basically doing contract work for the forseeable future, and that this is probably in that category too. Obviously Mattel wasn’t going to allow anything too subversive, and I wasn’t expecting a black and white Lady Barbie, but I was holding out some hope. Very unusually for me, I saw not one but two different trailers for this (presumably because of the certificates of the main features after them). The PG one made it seem like a very straightforward fantasy person visits the real world comedy, a la Enchanted. The other one leaned more into quasi-gross out comedy and cut pretty much all the plot elements from the trailer. Neither looked very interesting. But given that 99% of trailers these days either give away too much or are completely misleading, I’m not reading too much into that.

I thought this was pretty cool.

I’ve got A Matter of Life and Death and The Young Girls of Rochefort queued up for viewing this weekend now. :)

I am really looking forward to Barbie, must say.

I dunno how favorably it’ll end up comparing to goddamn His Girl Friday or a classic like A Matter of Life and Death or a Jacques Demy film, but I’m excited to see her try. I believe in Gerwig.