Bardo - new Alejandro G. Iñárritu film

Jesus, I cannot stand this guy. I watched the first twenty seconds of this trailer and had to turn off all that hubris and pomp. It looked like the cinematic equivalent of blowing his own horn, just like his Oscar speech.

And that title.

Is it just me? Are we into it?

It was much better when it had a “t” at the end.

Not a fan of Birdman I assume?

I kinda dug how crazy it was, but I have to ask, wasn’t the Beatle catalogue pretty much inaccessible to other uses?

Correct! I was team Boyhood all the way.

But I liked it a little bit better when I saw the opening image and the closing image side-by-side:

According to the AV Club, he worked with Sean Lennon to get the rights to use that song.

Visually stunning alert!

I’ve now watched the whole trailer and I’ll give him grudging credit for working on such a big canvas. The scene in the airport security line reminded me of Wes Anderson or Jacques Tati’s Playtime. So, okay, I’ll give him that one shot. :)

I love Iñárritu. Probably my favorite director. He’s earned that hubris and pomp. And he hasn’t made a film in 7 years. I am so down for this.

It’s not just you. Birdman might’ve even been a more embarrassing best picture winner than Crash.

Bardo played at the Venice Film Festival, after which he trimmed 22 minutes out of the film.

Reviews for the film have been mixed, with Variety’s chief film critic Owen Gleiberman writing, “The movie is full of good things, but it’s three hours long and mostly it’s full of itself.”

After “Bardo’s” run at Venice and Telluride, Iñárritu said he hasn’t read a review of his film. “I want to reaffirm that I have not read one single review for my healthy mental state,” he told IndieWire. “There is nobody better than me who knows all the dots that connect and how they could connect better.”

Sounds like Walter Chaw’s review will be right up your alley!

I can’t tell you how tempting it is to just re-post my review of Birdman for Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s Bardo with a neon “BUT MORE SO” flashing over it, given that I’ve already invested a full three hours in the Mexican auteur’s latest altar to unseemly false modesty.

https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2022/09/telluride-22-bardo.html

Harsh! And funny…

Bardo is Jay Sherman’s

The trailer is definitely way over the top. But I enjoy his other movies, so I’m sure I’ll get around to this one too.