Bards Tale IV announced

Yikes @ those Steam reviews. WTF is going on? I won’t get to this for awhile, but when I do, I want to have a game I can be excited to dive into! Hopefully that’s just butt hurt gamers about some nonsense* that doesn’t really matter, but it still sucks seeing the game get blasted like that day one.

*There was literally a thread about boycotting the game because it didn’t have a pre-load. SMH.

A quick skim shows it’s mostly technical complaints. FPS lock at 60 (and poor performance in general), FOV too low so causing motion sickness, no 21:9 support, etc. One reactionary “this isn’t exactly how Bard’s Tale is supposed to be!” review.

I was just looking at the Steam reviews myself. Many are: didn’t get my key, it doesn’t have feature X from the original, a hate letterboxing…

I skimmed the reviews, and I agree most of it is just a bunch of entitled gamer whiners (what’s new) but it’s still frustrating to see those reviews mar what the text/critics are saying is a soild and very fun game. Ah well, it should all sort itself out by the time I get a chance to play it finally.

Ouch, 52gb. Time to buy another 1tb ssd.

Well, think of it this way. The game just barely came out and the people who were able to launch and play the game without bad technical issues are going to be playing the game. There’s nothing for them to even review at that point. However, for people who can’t load the game or are suffering from technical problems that prevent them from playing long have plenty of time on their hands to bitch about the game on Steam. For that reason, I think you’ll see the very initial batch of reviews skew heavily in their favor.

Sounds like people have gotten their key. I haven’t yet for some reason.

I filled out their CrowdOx survey last week. It took a couple of tries to finally figure out where they wanted me to choose between GOG and Steam, but I finally found the right thing, because I got a key almost immediately. But it took me a while to figure out how to pick between GoG and Steam. There didn’t seem to be any way to do so at first.

I think resubmitting the survey a couple times worked for me. I had to do the thing where it said “this will invalidate your previous choices”.

Bleh, apparently I’m blind. Thanks!

Where are we supposed to get our manual and Prima Strategy guide and all that? All those things were listed for us in the Early Bird package, but I couldn’t figure out where I could download that. In the end I figured maybe it will show up on Steam once the game is out. I checked on Steam last night, but the game wasn’t out yet, so there wasn’t any associated documentation.

I just got a link to my strategy guide today. I haven’t looked at it yet.

Oh hey, I just got that email too!

The strategy guide is a straight-up walkthrough with maps and puzzle solutions. It doesn’t have any strategy stuff, no “20 things I wish I knew before I played BT4”.

Finally got my actual game key and the strategy guide email others mentioned. yay! Definitely won’t get to play this anytime soon, but yay!

It is feeling a bit sluggish at the high setting and 2560x1440 on my 1070 gtx, but still playable.

Got my steam key after talking to support, and got the guides etc. just now. Phew.

Is it true no random encounters? If you’re in a tough spot you can’t grind out a couple of levels?

Anyone else notice if their reward email contained two identical downloads of the soundtrack (Disk 1 and Disk 1) and know if there were supposed to be two disks? I sent off a message to support about it, but thought I’d check if anyone actually looked at this stuff or if you’re all busy playing.

[Edit] Ugh. Save points? How’d I miss that they weren’t going to have save-anywhere saves? I absolutely despise save points as they force me to decide if I want to go on not knowing how much time it’ll take. Hope they are plenty and aren’t more than a few minutes apart each, or I’m going to be one annoyed player.

It really loves to crank up my 1080 Ti’s fans. I found that switching it to fullscreen mode with vsync enabled helped a small amount with that. It’s a solid 60fps (capped), but seems poorly optimized.

The tiny FOV without an FOV slider (or config file adjustment) means I’ll be setting this one aside tonight and keeping an eye out for patches. It has that familiar “console port” feel to it for me, but I haven’t played enough to comment further.

ACG recommended it so I have hope that there’s a good game here. It may be a few patches before I try to find it.