Bards Tale IV announced

You say that, but really WIDR is often better. Because Red Dragons don’t waste half their turns trying to summon shit and they really like to breathe fire on things. I don’t recall Demons summoning at all in the OG, so I assume this is a change that came about because of BT2/3 mechanics? Liches are pretty garbage for the same reason (and that they don’t like… cast spells, they just hit one thing most of the time).

Also, as you alluded to, MIBL is one of the best offensive spells in the entire game only really falling off a bit at the very, very end and even then it’s still pretty useful if you have 2+ people casting it.

On the Apple II version illusionary monsters tended to get disbelieved whenever a stiff breeze wandered by, so I stopped messing with them.

Yeah that happened fairly often so the Demon Lord was better. Also, like I said, I’m fairly sure he didn’t try to summon since it was impossible with only one summon slot.

In the rework I’ve never had a dragon get disbelieved that I noticed. They die fairly often, but not really any more than Demons and they breathe fire almost every round so even if you resummoned every 4 fights or so, it’s still better than casting AoEs yourself since their breath is insanely strong. It generally kills any group it targets regardless of what they are.

I summoned a Demon Lord last time I played and he tried to summon 4 times in a row one fight. Next fight he physically attacked 3 times. Then he died to a stone trap. I summoned a Red Dragon that breathed fire non-stop and killed 200+ guys to the Demon Lord’s 3.

So this is officially releasing Tuesday, 9/18.

I backed on Kickstarter, so should receive a key on the 18th or 19th. I am excited, but I may also wait a week or two to play until the inevitable initial launch issues get patched. Anyone who was in the beta care to share their recent impressions?

I got my key but am out sick, sorry

I got my key for BT IV, and apparently I was owed a key to the remasters as well. This comes out on Tuesday, so I guess I’ll check it out.

Hopefully someone good wrote the beginning of the game, and it really grabs me right out of the gate.

I haven’t received my key yet. Should I be worried?

Possibly? There’s a decent chance that you have to go into their link, re open your survey, and choose between Steam and GOG. Once I did that, I had my key within 5-10 minutes.

They didn’t send my keys either, I’m currently waiting on crowdox to respond after Inxile gave up.

Oh, damn, you guys made me realize that mine didn’t come in, either :(

I didn’t receive a key at first, just an email letting me know the game was releasing and that my Kickstarter key was ready. Check your spam folders for an email like that from CrowdOx/InExile. Once I clicked the link in the first email to go to my CrowdOx profile, I was able to pick between Steam key and GOG key. It took about an hour or so after I saved that choice for the second email which actually contained my Steam key to show up. Again, check your spam folder.

To be clear, I did actually get that email and made the choice, but the key never showed up after that.

Huh…weird. I’m out of guesses then. It did take a while for my next email with the key to appear, but it did appear the same day. Maybe they ran into an issue with the Steam keys, though mine seemed to register just fine. Can’t pre-install though, which is a bummer.

Yep, same here. Contact crowdox right away.

Did you get the “early bard gets the wyrm” package? That’s what I backed.

Edit: Crowdox just responded to me, saying they know about the issue, are working on it, and I should get my keys today.

Edit2: And I just got my keys. I think what did it was clicking on the link and choosing to re-take the survey. Or maybe crowdox fixed it, they happened at the same time.

Thanks, I contacted support (nothing in my spam folders) so let’s see what happens now.

I would love to see this happen! It would be a nice career capstone before Fargo retires.

I haven’t received my key either. I’ve already gone back to the link and resubmitted it, but I’ll see if anything happens in the next bit before contacting someone about it. I also had the ‘early bard gets the wyrm’ package.

I didn’t back this on KS, but Last week I bought the standard version on the Bard’s Tale website for $28. Today I got my key and activated it on Steam. Just a heads up to others who may have bought it on the site as well.

Some youtuber gameplay:

Cohhcarnage was streaming this morning and had Brian Fargo in the chat answering questions. Looks good from the little I saw. I’m eager to install and play tomorrow.