Bards Tale IV announced

I just pre-ordered!

Yeah, the prerelease buzz is overwhelmingly positive. Good stuff.

First person exploration AND turn based combat? Is this somehow the holy grail of good RPG ideas? And I already own it? I might have inadvertently backed my perfect game.

Well, okay, for it to be perfect, it would also have to have space sim combat. But a game can’t have everything.

Btw I think pre-ordering the day before release is the best way to pre-order,

Watched the 1st 25 minutes and the first thing I thought was how The Witcher 3 city was so alive and this seems so dead. Lots more to a RPG than that but the Witcher sure has spoiled me.

The Witcher 3 cost $81m to make, and they did it in Poland. Don’t know BT4’s budget but I suspect it was somewhat less.

Wait --Witcher 3 cost 81 million? As some know I don’t want to play a male womanizer character in a 60 hour rpg. But wow … 81 million? Maybe I oughta suck it up, sacrifice all my principals, and play that albino womanizer.

He is absolutely a defined character, you don’t get to mold him yourself, and if that turns you off then I would stay away. It’s a great game, though.

I know it is a classic. I struggle with this.

They got 1.5 million from Kickstarter. Maybe they got another 3 from other investors and pre-sales? But yeah, this is a low budget game that can’t compete with the production values and scope of The Witcher 3.

You don’t have to womanize if you don’t want to.

And if you do, the ending reflects on it negatively.

Surprisingly I don’t think I played any Bard’s Tale games. What series is it the most similar to? Focus most on combat, story, puzzles?

The original games: Wizardry. First person perspective, turn based/text combat, with a heavy emphasis on mapping. Lots of puzzles based on the mapping (teleporting, flipping, darkness), and a ton of combat.

I liked Wizardry back in the day. Not sure I’d like teleporting / darkness based puzzles anymore though. Turn based combat is usually my thing.

Well I am not sure how much IV will focus on mapping puzzles. A large part of the originals was about mapping the dungeons, so the game made it more difficult. I doubt that holds true with this version. Still BT1 is worth checking out for $15 if you like older RPGs.

My most vivid memory of Bards Tale 1 is creating my first party and getting everyone killed before I could buy weapons down the street. I did stick it out for 20 hours or so until the maze stuff finally repelled me.

Kind of ridiculous now, but BT1 was a graphical showpiece of an rpg back then. 128 monster graphics, some animated!

That’s what we called “gameplay” back then. I loved the Bards’s Tale games back in the day, This looks very tempting.

From watching Cohh’s stream, a few things I noticed:

1. Early caster abilities had greater targeting flexibility than they did in Beta. Nice change, the back row caster looks a lot more useful early on.

2. They did in fact alter the active ability slot mechanic. It looks like you start with 3 automatically but get more over time. This is a great change.

All this chatter has me anxious to play. It’ll be such a different experience from the usual RPGs, a blend of them. Hope they get the key emailed to me. When I contacted support about not receiving it they just gave me the same instructions on how to get the survey link re-emailed to do the survey again to choose the key, even though I’ve done that already (and redone in case it didn’t take).

[Edit] Ha! Sent to me via email in response to my last email as I was writing this. Yummy!