Bards Tale IV announced

This looks so good.

I picked it up for $29 on GMG, even though between Dragon Quest XI post-game content, Spider-man (PS4) next, and then Pathfinder Kingmaker drops next week it may be a bit before I get to it. I guess when I wrap up Spider-man and DQXI I’ll play either this or Pathfinder, depending on which is in the better shape polish/bug wise.

But you do have to play the kind of person that would. As noted, it’s a fully defined character. An alcoholic is an alcoholic even when they’re not drinking.

You don’t have to. You can play that entire game not sleeping with any woman, or choosing one woman to be exclusive with, in fact. The character is NOT static, you are actually defining him while you play and choose dialog options. One player’s Geralt isn’t going to be like another players.

Pretty excited about the Bard’s Tale… pretty unexcited about the worst take on the Witcher surfacing for discussion again. Why, internet why?!

I never played a Bard’s Tale. I think I vaguely remember playing a Wizardry game on a friend’s old 286 that could display only a handful of colors way back when. I liked what little I played.

I’m trying to figure out if this is a sort of game I’d enjoy. TBS combat is appealing to me because my desk setup right now is temporary and not very comfortable to play on for long, certainly not for fast-paced games. I’m sticking with turn based games or things I can play with a gamepad at the moment. Single player RPGs are really hit or miss for me, though.

Is this light on story and heavy on the dungeon exploring/grinding (I prefer the latter)? Is there a lot of customization and interesting growth in character’s capabilities, or is it mostly just bigger numbers? Are there a bunch of puzzles, which I tend to dislike in games?

So many unknowns for me. :)

Ooo, are there plans to port this to the Switch? I may want to wait for that version, if so.

You don’t have to play him as womanizer. That’s on the player for the most part.

ACG review is a BUY for Bard’s Tale. The review is great and made me interested to play it.

Eh, not really.

I mean he’s a guy lots of women want to sleep with, but playing him as faithful is very much an option.
Hell, you can play him as celibate if you’re so inclined.

I’ve been a fan of the series when I played the first one on my Tandy 1000 when I was 13. I’ve played the remaster and it’s been fun. However, the combat in this one looks immensely complex. Like, so complex I’m a bit turned off by it. I watched a developer combat video… it took 10minutes to kill one group of mobs and most of the combat seemed like buffing/rebuffing. Honestly I couldn’t figure out what the heck was going on in that video. I know many of us will welcome complex turn based combat but this intimidates me.

Have there been any print reviews yet? A good old school (ish) dungeon crawler like this is right up my alley, so hopefully they did well with it. I really need to get the remasters of the originals, too. I sadly missed them in their day (though I played a lot of Might and Magic and banged my head fruitlessly against some Wizardry).

Other than the one I posted a few posts above? Probably.

I think it’s pretty telling of the state of the massively multiplayer market when MMORPG.com covers single player RPGs. :) I know it’s nothing new, I just find it mildly amusing.

I’m enjoying this a bunch so far, just 2 hours in. Good writing, excellent voice acting, some humor, but not overdone. It is very linear though. At least so far.

Combat is fairly interesting, with several unique options depending on class of your characters. Turn based, and grid based, albeit a very small 4x4 grid. However positioning can matter, as attacks only affect specific positions around the user.

Lots of loot, crafting, skills, spells, etc. I think this will be a huge hit, so long as it open up a little bit at some point, which I think it will.

Yikes @ those Steam reviews. WTF is going on? I won’t get to this for awhile, but when I do, I want to have a game I can be excited to dive into! Hopefully that’s just butt hurt gamers about some nonsense* that doesn’t really matter, but it still sucks seeing the game get blasted like that day one.

*There was literally a thread about boycotting the game because it didn’t have a pre-load. SMH.

A quick skim shows it’s mostly technical complaints. FPS lock at 60 (and poor performance in general), FOV too low so causing motion sickness, no 21:9 support, etc. One reactionary “this isn’t exactly how Bard’s Tale is supposed to be!” review.

I was just looking at the Steam reviews myself. Many are: didn’t get my key, it doesn’t have feature X from the original, a hate letterboxing…

I skimmed the reviews, and I agree most of it is just a bunch of entitled gamer whiners (what’s new) but it’s still frustrating to see those reviews mar what the text/critics are saying is a soild and very fun game. Ah well, it should all sort itself out by the time I get a chance to play it finally.

Ouch, 52gb. Time to buy another 1tb ssd.

Well, think of it this way. The game just barely came out and the people who were able to launch and play the game without bad technical issues are going to be playing the game. There’s nothing for them to even review at that point. However, for people who can’t load the game or are suffering from technical problems that prevent them from playing long have plenty of time on their hands to bitch about the game on Steam. For that reason, I think you’ll see the very initial batch of reviews skew heavily in their favor.