Bards Tale IV announced

This one. Didn’t realize it was an action game.

Consistent with the above posts, my 4 year old dell just could not play this game. HOWEVER my 1 week old dell is a screamer and Bard’s Tale runs like liquid glass. It seems poorly optimized for mid-ranged machines.

Btw it is fun. Combat is clear and different and there’s an interesting start up story that sets the mood well. I’ll chime in some more as I progress, as I am staying away from Pathfinder until they go to say a patch a week (instead of gosh knows how many) just so that game gets settled.

My 4 year old Falcon NW runs it fine on high. Why is no one saying what video card they have? 970gtx here.

ATI 7950HD equivalent card here from 2013 or 2014. CPU: i5-750 from 2009. 8GB RAM from 2009.

1070 gtx. But since adjusting the graphics settings seems to alter the average framerate but not the stutters, I’m guessing that the factor causing those is my CPU (i5-3570k) or storage (installed on an old HDD).

These are my specs on my older PC, which is for gaming at a desk (I have a newer one hooked up to the TV for couch gaming). The game runs pretty fine on medium apart from with the odd big stutter where everything almost stops for a second or so.

The CPU is overlocked to 4.4Ghz which isn’t shown there.

I played another couple hours since the last patch, High settings for all, FoV set to 80, on my 4GB 960GTX & i7-4790 and it seemed perfectly smooth for everything I did. That’s not to say I may not retry Ultra settings again, as I had it initially, but I’m trying to avoid odd crashes without a proper save system. I think I saw some framerate issues when all settings were at Ultra, but dropping a few of them down to High fixed that up before the last crash.

Guess it depends on your sensitivity whether it plays nice for you or not. I’m pretty sure that a whole bundle of folks here would be calling 911 on the game on my rig, but I just don’t see the emergency requirement for a video upgrade yet.

Same, I wondered if this happened after the patch that added them to the map?

This has always been the case since launch. You can choose to bind or consume totems the next time you go back to one after having saved at another. However I believe after you consume it should be gone. Are you saying if you consume it’s still there?

I’m also seeing a major improvement in smoothness with the latest patch. Completely smooth 50+fps most of the time, and stutters every minute or so instead of every 5 seconds.

And for the totem thing, it does seem to defeat the purpose of the system. Just cleared out Kylearan’s Tower, binding to the save totems as I went so I’d have a quick restart in case of mishap. On the way out, realized that I could just consume the totems since I’d probably never be back to that dungeon.

He’s probably talking about the fact tthat the text implies you have to make a one-time choice to save/consume at the totem. But that;'s not in fact what happens.

It’ just you cannot re-use them to save until you save at another as you note. And consuming is final.

Well that does sound like a bug because that would of course mean infinite experience points!

It does only let you take the experience once to be fair.

What krazykrok is saying is that he consumed some and could come back and consume them again. That does sound like a bug.

Oh yeah, weird. I haven’t noticed that in my game :-/

Not sure if I’m going to finish this one. I’d guess I’m about halfway through, and the combats have become pretty rote and trivial, with many over (or nearly so) in a single surprise-attack round.

What difficulty are you playing on? Just curious.

Plus, you are one of the best tactical, strategic players we have on this entire site, so it doesn’t surprise me you are dominating like that!

Heh, thanks, but I don’t think I can take a huge amount of credit here, given that the critical skills would be hard to miss when making a character. I also may (not sure how much of the loot is randomized vs. fixed) have gotten lucky with a wand that seriously tilts the balance in my favor.

And this is on hard. I started on hard, but turned it down to normal because brand new characters couldn’t quite cut it on hard. Then once it started feeling too easy, i bumped it back up, but didn’t find it to make much difference.

A 3.8 GB patch landed for me today. Notes here.

Mostly stability fixes, though, and nothing in terms of qol improvements that I see. Maybe in a future patch (still waiting on the save system improvements).

Played a lot of this over the weekend. Started over since I wanted to try a different character build and I’d missed some important things in my previous short session (I’d basically made it to the Adventurer’s Guild in SK Below, but missed some helpful stuff along the way).

Playing a fighter instead of a bard this time. Combat seems a little easier, and I was able to make it all the way through the trio of party building quests (Trow theif, Dwarf fighter, Elven practitioner) without wiping. Along the way I uncovered a whole lot of decent equipment upgrades from rooting around in every corner and buying grappling hooks to access otherwise inaccessible areas. It’s been fun so far.

I’m running on High everything except shadows, which I set to Medium. Game looks great, and I have had no framerate issues or graphics problems other than a slight motion blur when I spin around too quickly. Graphics, music and sound are all fantastic, and I haven’t experienced any real bugs thus far. I am annoyed by the frequency with which I can get hung up on landscape objects though. In a game that encourages poking into every corner, you shouldn’t end up stuck on something nearly so often.

I made my fighter with a focus on swords, and it seems like a pretty good skill set. The other fighter, the dwarf smith, doesn’t seem nearly as useful. He came with a blunt cudgel thing, so I tried giving him a nice axe I picked up and trained his two axe skills, but he still seems like he only has a couple of attacks, neither of which does high damage, and his one powerful attack is a concentration one, which unless I root the enemy, never seems to hit. The thief on the other hand is amazing. So many useful combat skills. The practitioner is somewhere in between. It’s nice that she can attack without using up one of my three action points, but all her attacks are fairly low damage. I really need better damage output on my party members as I’m fighting stuff with 30+ hit points and 2-3 armor…scoring 1-2 points per hit after armor reduction isn’t cutting it.

Overall it’s fun and interesting so far. Totally love the voice work and the music. Amazing stuff.