Bards Tale IV announced

There are a TON of bugs in the directors cut. They even have a long list of some of those themselves stickied in the steam forums.

I simply dont understand what they have spent the year on, since its still full of so many bugs, some of them as basic as missing 3D models, controller not working in skills, the main NPC crashing the game and so on.

That’s a shame, I was looking forward to getting back into this once they resolved the bugs and performance issues. However, a bonus is the fact that we get the remastered original Bard’s Tale Trilogy for free as well. Might be worth re-visiting where it all began, at least I don’t need graph paper anymore.

The original trilogi is still awesome, and the addition of automapping and a minimap, with a few other odd modern stuff thrown in, makes it a great, great game to play!

The remastered original trilogy is excellent. It was part of the Kickstarter bonus tiers, and they added a lot of convenience features (as @Hamilton mentioned) to take the 1980’s tedium out of the games and make it playable for modern fans. Getting Remastered Trilogy free makes the Director’s Cut of Bard’s Tale IV a no-brainer purchase if you were on the fence.

I loved Bard’s Tale IV. I did not finish my playthrough, though I am very close, so I really should go back and do so. I did get deep into it though, and very much enjoyed the experience. There is plenty of combat, loot, gear upgrades, character customization, story and everything else that makes a good RPG, BUT, be forewarned, it is very puzzle heavy (It is Bard’s Tale after all). For the most part I found the variety and complexity of the puzzles entertaining, interesting and just challenging enough to keep me plugging away until I got a solution on my own, but there were a few that I had to resort to viewing walkthroughs on YouTube to fully solve (my patience only goes so far).

Personal Recommendation : Bard’s Tale IV is a must own RPG for fans of the series and fans of RPGs in general, unless you hate puzzles, in which case it’s not the game for you.

Noticed this on the Xbox PC pass today and DLing now. But I hate puzzles in RPGs. Still, I’ll give it a shot.

I agree completely with Slainte and I am playing the director’s cut now. Great game. Yeah there are some problems… but it is great.

For the record, I am a little disappointed in some of the graphical decisions. There are some bugs.

This is a good game with a company that just doesn’t seem to quite get it. They have created a heck of a good game but I just think they think that’s enough. Ironically it isn’t – they need to fix things and make on their promises for quality of life improvements and --really? Bugs? after a year?

Aggravating.

You would hope with the security of recently joining Microsoft they would be able to make things right, but I guess maybe Microsoft is wanting them to work on new projects.

yeah, there is a ton of bugs, which there really shouldn’t be after this long.

I’m almost positive that they have been working on other projects, and this has been a side project most of those…what…10 months its been baking.

They also made the switch to a completely new game, claiming its because the game is so different (which it really isn’t) that it made the most sense, instead of just updating the original.
I’m pretty sure its because they hoped for new and better steam ratings.

That’s super annoying for people with saves on the go.

I just installed this from the X Box game pass and all this talk about bugs has me worried. Anything in particular I should be wary of?

Btw I actually really like this game. I love the music! And it has the best turn based group blobber combat! It is NOT without its problems…

Yup, I’m really enjoying it too, at least so far. I can see the combat going into very interesting places, and the puzzles so far have been pretty fun.

Are you guys playing the Directors Cut then? It’s not that buggy if so?

Yes I am playing the director’s cut. Go ahead and play a bard – your party fills out nicely thereafter, btw.

Yes, Director’s Cut, and I noticed no bugs so far. Runs great, looks great, plays great… at least so far.

I’m glad I barely made it into the original release as I can start the DC fresh without a lot of repetition. I read there’s some downgrade in graphical quality both due to a bug and some deliberate decisions for optimizing gameplay, but that won’t make much of an impact if I can be drawn into it this time. I was one that bounced between disappointment and somewhat getting into it before forgetting about it entirely.

I finally beat this game yesterday after about ~40 hours of game time. Had a great time overall but some of these puzzles near the end but I had to lol a bit when the the final dungeon were primarily a series of gigantic gear puzzles

Yeah, I enjoyed the hell out of this game and for the most part liked the puzzles but even I thought that was a bit much. Of course, in a pinch there’s always the puzzle-bypass option they added with the Director’s Cut.

Unfortunately it looks like you can’t skip the “Gigantic” ones in the final dungeon due to the way they’re setup - I tried to do it a bit a few times but it didn’t work. That said, I did use the puzzle-bypass song a few times during the game. The sheer volume of puzzles were a bit ridiculous at times.

Ah, that’s… kind of annoying really. I managed to get through the entire game without using it so didn’t want to ruin my streak, but it really should be an option at that point.

I liked a lot of them but yeah, there were a few too many of any given type.