Bards Tale IV announced

I used the puzzle bypass on my second play through the ending (for the beat it with 3 characters achievement). You just go up to each door and use it. Worked for me.

Vin that’s funny --all my pushing on this game and you finished before me. So what do you think -an 8/10? Puzzles were a bit puzzly. 7/10? Combat was sorta super good. Plus wow some of those new structures at the core of the milky way… explain THAT …. oops… not a stream where Tom is killing zombies…

9/10 for me. There are a few too many puzzles but I mostly enjoyed them, and I adore the combat, world, music, graphics, party banter, quest design, and nearly everything else.

That’s my Vin --I knew youd love that one. Sry I pushed it so hard, great game.

This is on sale on Steam for $12. Today only. I’m playing DOS2 and Kingmaker now, I might add this to the queue.

$12 is a steal for this game. I’ve got 40+ very enjoyable hours into it easily already and haven’t even finished. It IS puzzle heavy, but with the Director’s Cut you can work around some of the more annoying ones, and there are plenty of walkthroughs of each area online as well (The Fextralife ones on YouTube are very good).

About 35 hours in, I’m having a lot of fun with BT IV courtesy of Gamepass and in spite of the jankiness.

But right now I’m annoyed at this puzzle in the Lodge of Siambra Dhu.

Spent at least 2 hours fidgeting with it before I gave up and went looking for a hint. Turned out I was missing one on the ceiling… see the one at center right with the energy beam coming towards you rather than away? Apparently I had to rotate that one 180 degrees to make it work. But, huh, why?? I never felt like I really understood the rules of the energy beams and why sometimes they would jump to the next junction and sometimes they wouldn’t. I wish the logic of it all was more readable.

And, of course, I finally solve it and it opens a door to a fight I can’t possibly handle. But this is something I actually like about the game… when I hit a brick wall of tough enemies, I just wander off elsewhere looking for a fight I can actually manage on some other map or quest-line. Reminds me of Gothic 2.

Overall, I’m just loving the combat and character variety and can we take a moment to appreciate the amazingly cheesy but nonetheless charming “bard telling his tale” FMV intros? Fantastic!

Finally getting around to this over the last week or so. I think I’m roughly 60-70% through the game I’ve just killed Mangar for good. I’d heard that the game was full of puzzles, but none have really seemed that hard so far, though the last ‘circuit’ puzzle in the Lodge had me scratching my head a bit. The funniest thing is, though, that combat is basically just another puzzle. There’s some variation in the (generally stupid) enemy AI and your crit chances, but otherwise it’s very deterministic. My party is just this wrecking ball at this point, rolling through just about any encounter I have found, no matter the color it cons (with one exception- a dwarven ruin? or something I randomly found a door to down some scaffolds on a beach while exploring). Good stuff.

I loved it too. Made it to the Lodge of Siambra Dhu but then I got discouraged after that post I made in May. I ended up uninstalling the game not long after. Just didn’t have it in me to redo that circuit room after spending so much time on it. Great fun while it lasted though!

That was the first puzzle I felt like they didn’t spell out the mechanics well enough. The little ‘circuit breaker’ stones that would trip when they got too much input, and the other T-junctions that needed two inputs to output just weren’t visible enough in the darkness down there, even with a torch. Once I figured them out, though, it was super simple, just working backwards from where I wanted to be.

I just started it yesterday and it had me the moment the title screen song started to play. The music is so fitting and atmospheric in this game.

What I even love more is that I was playing on my XBox One this afternoon and am continuing the game on my PC this evening. Play Anywhere is awesome.

You say that now, but “Snow in Summer” is going to get stuck in your head. You just wait.

Just finished this game. Enjoyable enough to finish, but not a lot more than that.

I did enjoy the combat and the music, but the amount of puzzles wore me out. I started using a guide for some of the puzzles halfway through.

The loot and especially the loot distribution was pretty bad. After solving a difficult puzzle, the reward was usually a weapon that was worse than what I already had and/or ~100 gold when I had > 20.000 gold. Meh! Unlocking the elven artifact weapons were not really worth it either.

I also did not care much for the level design. The outside maps just made no sense - the mazelike paths felt very gamey and unrealistic.

A question for those that have finished the game: Is there a way to save Klara? The quest failed as soon as I started the final battle.