Bargain Thread 2014

Speaking of shmups (argh!), that Irem Arcade Bundle on the Amazon end of summer sale is a great little bundle of some old school fun. Great price too.

As much as I love R-TYPE Leo, I have to recommend against buying that Irem bundle. The games included are just ROMs running in an old version of MAME, and Dotemu is kind of a crappy company.

Arma 3 with 50% off

Mandate of Heaven was my favorite as well. I tried it again recently but I wasn’t able to stomach it. :(

If I like Age of Empires III, will I like Age of Mythology extended edition? I might pick it up on steam while its on sale

I liked Age of Mythology better than Age of Empires, but that’s mostly because I’m a sucker for games with mythological themes and ancient settings. AoM is a great game that plays much like the AoE games, so the system will feel familiar. The campaigns (I assume the new Enhanced Edition includes the expansion) have a decent story that unfolds as the missions progress, and there is enough variation in settings, objectives and unit/building/strategy types that I was entertained the whole way through.

Whilst it’s a great game, anyone running high res should be aware - there is no interface scaling so you will be doing a lot of squinting at extremely tiny text and icons.

Rayman Jungle Run is today’s Amazon freebie and its sequel Rayman Fiesta Run is $.99. Most importantly however, is that the new Castle of Illusion game is 90% off at $.99 as well. So get spending those Spacebux.

Monster Hunter TriU is 15 bucks on WiiU eShop right now. If you haven’t played the best game ever now’s the time!

Steam has Bound By Flame for $20 for the next couple of days. Worth it?

Not really. It’s kind of a low price title to start with. I’d say hang on for 7.50 or something.

That’s what I thought. Thanks.

Agreed.

The game had some interesting concepts but a number of things make it seem like a budget title sadly.

In many ways it feels a lot like their previous game, mars war logs, but with a bit more budget. I liked both games, but they had some glaring issues that kept them from being truly good games. Bound by flame less so than mars war logs, but mars felt more unique than Bound By Flame’s mostly typical fantasy setting.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-IAVH2/the-incredible-adventures-of-van-helsing-ii

Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 for $7.50 on GamersGate for another 17 hours. Steamworks.

Steam today: Monster Loves You! - $2.49 - (75% off).

Steam midweek #1: Thief (2014) - $10.19 - (66% off).
Steam midweek #2: Wargame Franchise - $29.99 - (40% off).
[indent]Franchise includes all 3 games, each sold separately: European Escalation, Airland Battle, Red Dragon.[/indent]

Steam weeklongs, a few random picks:
[ul]
[li]Bionic Dues - $2.49 - (75% off).
[/li][li]Dominions 4 - $24.49 - (30% off).
[/li][li]Pride of Nations - $9.99 - (60% off).
[/li][li]Syder Arcade - $2.49 - (75% off).
[/li][li]Panzer Tactics HD - $9.99 - (50% off). Not Panzer Corps!
[/li][li]Nom Nom Galaxy - $9.99 - (50% off). Early Access.
[/li][li]CONSORTIUM - $9.99 - (50% off).
[/li][/ul]

I’m back from a busy work/vacation week, plus playing with my OnePlus One and a recent nameless PC JRPG.

Wait, Pride of Nations is back on Steam? Huh, had bought that when Paradox published Ageod, then it disappeared when Matrix took over. I didn’t realize Matrix was putting back catalog stuff back in there.

BundleStars is releasing a new bundle everyday for five days in a row. The first one doesn’t look too terrible, the second one is adventure pack. (All redeemable on Steam, most have steam trading cards, so that will bring the cost down somewhat)

Inferno Bundle $3.99

Urban Trial Freestyle
Heavy Fire: Afghanistan
Orbital Gear
Jet Car Stunts
The Few
8BitBoy
Dungeons: The Eye of Draconus
Speed Kills
Residue: Final Cut
Freedom Fall

Arctic Bundle $2.49

Syberia
Syberia II
Still Life
Still Life 2
Scratches: Director’s Cut
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
Post Mortem

In that second bundle, you’ve got some very nice point and click adventure games. Still Life 1 is especially terrific, as is Scratches. The Still Life sequel (which isn’t really the same team as the first) is also good. The two Syberias are a no-brainer.

Yeah, Still Life is great. Post Mortem is the prequel to SL, it plays more like Myst but was pretty good too.

Thanks!
Also to the others who answered. :)