Bargain Thread 2014

The Darkling Room games are nice if you want a Halloween treat. They’re like ghost stories from your uncle. I particularly recommend The Lost Crown.

Here’s my favorite listing for the current Steam discounts: https://steamdb.info/sales/

Gonna spoil (a bit) something I may mention on the podcast tonight, but if you liked Gone Home, if the movie “The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh” struck your fancy, and you’ve got a buck…the game Scratches from 2006 is on sale. It’s a point and click adventure game. It’s a bit dated. It forces a 1024x768 windowed screen because of the way its movies are coded.

It’s also a buck.

If you wanted there to be more horror in Gone Home, it’s worth a buck, absolutely.

Also, eXperience 112 is now on Steam, and $5 for the next 20 hours. It’s a creepy, French adventure game where you, as someone trapped in a surveillance booth, guide a woman onward. It’s more sci-fi than horror, but creepy and unique.

The guys behind Scratches have a Kickstarter in its last day right now, to make a truly faithful HP Lovecraft game.

Yeah, and it’d going to fail big time.

Yeah, a quarter mill ask was kind of crazy.

It also didn’t help that they have yet to release their last game that was funded on Kickstarter and is almost a year late.

Hmmm, I remember one of them being really really good, and another one being horrible…but it’s all a bit fuzzy. I think soul reaver was really good? I know for sure at least one of those is good, so not a bad deal for 4 bucks…

I grabbed it and have put an hour or so into it. The wheel interface works very well, and you can set hotkeys for all the verbs as well. It looks great, kills often, and baffles constantly. I think I like it.

Transistor is $10, if you somehow missed it earlier.

There are a few good horror game deals at gog.com this weekend. One stand out for me at least is Tesla Effect for $4.99. Cheapest I’ve seen it. Gonna grab it!

I am also interested in this. Does anyone know what it means by “Partial” controller support?

I think the really really good Soul Reaver game was Soul Reaver 2, where I loved the writing and voice acting. But I don’t think that’s part of the package because it was never ported to the PC. I think it remains a PS2 exclusive to this day.

It’s there. I recall the first two being worthy, but not really sure how they’d hold up today.

I really kept hoping for a proper modern Soul Reaver game, but all we have is Nosgoth… What the shit.

Came to mention Secret World, but looks like rob4c beat me to the punch. Standard for $10, Massive Edition for $20 - from what I can see, the extra $10 for Massive is worth it as the DLC if purchased separately doesn’t seem to be equally discounted. 66% off is just shy of the ‘best’ sale seen on it.

New GMG VIP page
http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Deals on Alien, COD, DA3 and more.

TODAY ONLY: Best Buy has Forza Horizon 2 for $48, or about $39 if you have the Gamers Club Unlocked, which gives 20% off on new games. You can buy it online for store pickup and get it any time in the next week.

And for the next couple of weeks, a 2-year GCU membership is $30 if you buy a new game of $40 or more, as opposed to the ridiculous $120 that it usually is. And it applies to any games bought in the same transaction. So, it’s an $18 extra to a $60 game, and pays for itself in 1.5 more full-price buys. Since this is the new console season and people want the new stuff for the new boxes, this might work out well for some. Especially if that buy 1, get 1 for 50% off rumor for new 3DS games two weekends from now is true.

Teleglitch Die More Edition is free at Humble

Cognition is also 5$ in GOG’s sale. I liked it.

Darn you! You got me to buy Shadowgate. :)