Bargain Thread 2014

Really now? Now why would that be? Makes no logical sense. What else might it be missing?

Many of the Lego titles are on sale on Steam, at around $5 each (not Batman #3) . Any must haves at that price?

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/lego_we_2014?snr=1_41_4__42

Batman 2 is really good. Marvel Super Heroes is good. I liked Lego Lord of the Rings.

I wasn’t as jazzed about Lego The Hobbit. The game just ends abruptly because the final movie isn’t out yet. I have no idea if TT will add another chapter through DLC or not. I suspect not. Additionally, I didn’t care for all the weird crafting resources they added.

The Harry Potter games are less open-word and more linear. They’re also quite buggy.

Personally, I’ve been eyeing the Lego Movie game, but I haven’t really heard much about it.

I enjoyed Marvel, Lord of the Rings, and Batman 2.

They made me feel old though, and I had to look at guides several times to figure out what I was supposed to do in rooms.

Much more fun if you’re playing with kids. Especially if they’re the type to smash everything in sight.

Just as a counterpoint to the high praise the Lego games get here…
I find them very boring. Smash, smash, button mash fight, smash. My 7 year old son stayed interested enough in Batman to finish it (with me), but hasn’t been interested enough to go back to play more of the Marvel Heroes one. The jumping controls can be a bit clunky. The games aren’t always easy, sometimes I have had difficulty figuring out where to go or what to do next. When I do figure it out, it isn’t that satisfying tough puzzle feeling. The visuals are usually good and they do have some charm, but I definitely find them dull.

Yeah, I felt the same about Lego Star Wars game as robc04 above. The puzzles are just weird, and the difficulty is either trivial if you don’t care about dying over and over every few seconds (there is no penalty for death) or they are the hardest games I’ve ever attempted in my life if you’re trying to get through without dying.

That’s why they’re great played co-op with little kids. They don’t care about getting all the studs on the first run, unlocking everything, or “winning”. Dying over and over again is funny to them instead of supremely frustrating.

Also, the latest games (Lego Batman 2 onwards) are very different in structure than the older games, including the Star Wars ones. The newer TT games are open-world with linear missions unlocked on the overworld map instead of the traditional level progression. Kids can’t get enough of just fooling around on the open-world map.

I love the Lego games, but I think the people listing the pros and cons here are both absolutely right. They have a narrow niche that they fill and they do it really well, but if that’s not your thing you won’t find a different Lego game to convince you otherwise. But as a completionist and someone who enjoys having large worlds to completely wreck in interesting ways, I love all the games I’ve played. Personally, I think the Star Wars and supehero (both Batman and Marvel) Lego games are my favorites, I’d say check one of those out just to give it a test drive.

The Lego games really scratch that ‘gotta collect them all’ itch. I suppose they are my Pokemon.

My favourites have been the Harry Potter games mostly because I felt they really did well integrating the story with the game.

For the next 24 hours Metro 2033 is free on the Humble Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store

It can…so bad…pains my heart to say it.

Greenman Gaming VIP is excellent right now.

Far Cry 4, Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Lords of the Fallen, Valkyria Chronicles, and Dragon Age: Inquisition!

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Not the Redux version, though, right?

BTW, speaking of the Steam Weekend Deals, Tropico 5 is 19.99 and Wolfenstein TNO is half priced at 29.99 USD. Very tempted by the latter, although I’m sure it’ll be that low or lower during a Thanksgiving or winter sale, Steam or otherwise.

Wolfenstein is dropping in price slower than just about any non-CoD shooter I can recall (we’ll see about Destiny). I suppose that’s good for them, i paid $40 and felt I got my money’s worth.

Yeah, I plan on buying it around $15. It’ll get there.

Yeah, me too. Not sure when it will get there, but one day it will.

Same with Sniper Elite 3. I’ll take both when they drop below $20.

I am still playing Sniper Elite 3 and Wolfenstein, very slowly… Both are good though. :)

New Groupees greenlight:

[ul][]Battletank Loba[]Depths of Tolagal[]Dungeon Nightmares II[]O3DX[]Pig Eat Ball[]Royal Bounty[]Unraveled[]Vol’Talkes[/ul]

Canada deal! Futureshop has all their used games (not counting PS4 & XB1) at half price tonight.

Online only. Be fast if you see something you like, many are going to sell out.