Bargain Thread 2015

Pretty sure Origin is the only option on PC regardless of where you purchase it.

So glad I looked at this thread, I’ve been waiting for a deal on Colonization and Covert Action!

Might and Magic X on sale for $7.49 at the MAc Store, but it’s a Steam key so you can use it on Windows too.

Every single steam sale for the last couple of years has been followed by complaints that the sale was average. I don’t know what people expect anymore? Latest releases for 5 bucks?

Too many sales IMO - has cheapened the value of games. The age of entitlement indeed.

Yah I got a ton of stuff over the holidays for 1-5 bucks, an amazing haul. Given that I used to pay 60 bucks a pop for every console game pretty much, it feels like heaven to me.

New humble weekly:

1:
[indent]Blue Flamingo
Lovely Planet
Year Walk[/indent]

BTA (currently 4.5)
[indent]Dust: Elysian Tale
Eidolon
Mind: Path to Thamalus[/indent]

10:
[indent]Fract OSC[/indent]

I’ve only played Dust for a couple hours, but it looked very nice & seemed like it would be lots of fun. Next humble bundle will start on sunday.

Most people aren’t complaining about the prices.

Steam sales used to be an event.

Publisher packs, daily bundles of indie games, weird meta stuff, featured sales on games that aren’t super popular/well known…

The only thing different about recent Steam sales and other websites was the size of their catalog.

Since they were born, a hundred or two (I can’t remember exactly, it’s automatic) since birth for each. Each has about $25K now. We could’ve put more in but we didn’t fully trust 529s (we invested in them early, and in another state’s, as our state didn’t have one yet) at the time. Also were worried about super funding them and then not need all the money (maybe one doesn’t go to college, or goes to a cheaper community college, or gets a decent scholarship) and having to take a penalty for non-education use. We instead have been double paying our mortgage and once the kids are in college will put that extra payment towards college instead – in that way we’ve gotten used to the reduced income over the years and also have been building equity in our home.

Bastion for iOS is down to $1 today; its price usually ranged between $7-$15. Amazing game, better than Transistor in every way except perhaps the music.

Some dude didn’t have Portal2 yet, I figure it’s possible people don’t own Bastion. Everybody should.

I’m intrigued by M&M X, as I played I and III through to the end and dabbled in the rest of them through VII. Such a venerable RPG series. I just don’t know if I can “go home again.”

I was expecting more than 0% off Ikaruga and Geometry Wars, 66% or more on the Final Fantasies (except 13 and 13-2) and Baldur’s Gate 2, and decent discounts on the Castlevanias, for starters. The number of games on my wishlist that didn’t even match their lowest Steam price felt way higher than it has in the past and I have a lot of ‘older’ titles on there. A lot of games that felt like they would’ve been candidates for 75% off in the past were topping out at 66% off this sale. I guess it’s fine. My backlog is big enough as it is.

Actually, a good example of diminishing Steam discounts was Hatoful Boyfriend. 75% off on GMG (plus another 20 from their voucher, so effectively 80%). At the same time, if it had won the community vote it would’ve only hit 50% off on Steam.

Godus is < $4 on GMG with their 22% off code.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/indie/godus/

It’s not fun. :(

Partly true, but after YEARS of games like Fallout 3, Fallout: NV, Skyrim, and Borderlands being on sale am I allowed scream, ENOUGH ALREADY! If everyone doesn’t own these games by now, then they won’t for any price. I’m allowed to be disappointed when it’s same shit, sale after sale after sale.

Edit - ah shit, quoted the wrong person. This was in response to MadGav. Typing on the Dell Venue is TERRIBLE.

There’s your problem. Expecting discounts on Activision titles, non-Eidos Square Enix titles, and Konami titles that aren’t Metal Gear is historically a bad way to approach sales on any platform those companies release games on. (That said, GW3 came out a month prior to the Steam sale. Expecting a discount on a $15 game that quickly is absurd.)

Absolutely agreed. I still love the Steam Sales, and still manage to find what I consider bargains (75% or more off older titles, 50% or more off some more recent releases), but it does seem somewhat diminished over the sales of old. Some of that is easily explained by the fact that over the past 3-4 years most of us have purchased damn near every older title we ever had the slightest curiosity about during these sales and/or daily deals or bundles from other sites. What’s left for us are titles that rarely went on sale, newer stuff that isn’t going to see major discounts just yet, and some early access or indie games that simply aren’t discounted. Chances are if you’ve been haunting Steam Sales for multiple years you’ve bought all the 75% off titles you wanted already. Now you’re just waiting for newer stuff to age enough to get reduced pricing.

The second factor is that, even as Steam has added dozens of older titles (that BundleStars.com Pioneer Bundle Brian Rubin linked above is a great example) and dozens more indie titles, they’ve simultaneously reduced the scope of their sales. This Holiday Sale saw fewer games in the Daily Deal category, a reduced number of Community Choice votes (and thus games on discount), no Flash Deals and fewer hidden discounts across the board. In other words, Steam now has more games, with less of them on jaw-dropping discount during these sales. They seem to have shifted focus to the meta-event, be it collecting cards, running auctions or turning snow globes into knick-knacks to turn into gems to buy boosters to make badges or whatever. I miss the days of new discounts every 8 hours, hidden 75%-90% off games, publisher packs and little bundles. It’s not that Steam Sales are terrible now, just different.

Yeah, all the card and gems and booster pack BS just makes me tired. Who has time for that crap? I was collecting the cards as they came in from voting just to craft the Winter Sale badge, but then just decided to sell them all on the market and wash my hands of it.

The only Steam event I liked was the Summer Camp event years ago.

In their sale. Gamers Gate are having a TellTale Games special which includes 80% of on The Tales of Monkey Island, The Walking Dead Series 1 and the Sam and Max games.

This is why I think Steam’s growth is stabilizing. Eventually folks get everything in the backlog they want, and then these sales become about wanting new games 75% off, and that usually doesn’t happen, so folks get disappointed.

I think the folks who’ve been around a long time, most of what they’re buying these days is new games, not games that are going to be on sale, and they’re nostalgic for the great deals of the past, which just aren’t going to happen with brand new good games.

I was surprised at the number of Early Access games that had discounts. It’s kinda playing with fire doing that, as it might cause folks to not pre-order so much and wait for the sale there, which defeats the point of Early Access. Stardock in particular was a pretty bad offender here this time with GalCiv3 and SK going on sale. With SK I think it’s ok because they did offer a 50% off discount before, with GalCiv3 going 50% off, that’s gotta burn the folks who preordered at full price.

I don’t mind too much, but I know others who bought early feel like they got a bad deal.

They are happening with brand new good games, they’re just not happening on Steam. Like I say, the past couple of months I’ve bought Shadow of Mordor for $20, Alien Isolation and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel (well, YMMV whether this is good, I guess) for $15, etc.

Best deals now are sites like GMG undercutting Steam. They had an extra 20% off on Alien in this sale, for example. It’s not as neat though, but I’ve been using the GameDeals reddit, which seems to get the job done.

I wish DLC went on sale more, I’d like the Dark Souls 2 DLC, but not at the Season Pass price.