Bargain Thread 2017

It’s got satisfying gameplay but its campaign will kick your ass. If you like that sort of thing, by all means get it.

Although if you want that, you should probably buy BundleStars Killer Bundle X (Fanatical), you get that and some other stuff for $5, good for six more days.

I can’t believe I haven’t found a good deal on Xbox Live Gold during the last few months. I finally decided to risk trying one of those shady deals, from a place called Gamesdeals this time, for $43 for a code. Unfortunately, I should have checked the comments on the slickdeals forum on that deal. For most users in the U.S. Region this “worldwide code” didn’t work. Same with me.

Luckily, Gamesdeal were pretty gracious about it. They issued a refund to my paypal account almost immediately when I told them it wasn’t working. They just asked for screenshots of me putting in the code and getting the error message.

Places like CDkeys also have these “worldwide” codes, but I’ve seen in the comments that it doesn’t work for a lot of people in the U.S. So I’m going to steer clear.

Maybe I’ll actually let my Gold membership expire this time, first time since 2003 or 2004, I think. I’ve generally always been able to find it under $40, so it rankles not being able to do so this time.

It can’t be a complete failure, because it hasn’t been discounted down to a level where I’ll buy it yet :)

Interesting looking game called Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander is on sale at Steam. Calling @BrianRubin …Any thoughts?

It’s great, buy it now so you get the enhanced Lightspeed Edition next month as a free upgrade.

Mass Effect Andromeda is actually good.

I didn’t know we were allowed to express that opinion here. Quick, duck and cover!

Yeah, that’s heresy against the established narrative that Andromeda is busted and also crap. That’ll be twenty Hail Marys and a how’s your uncle.

REPORTED!

;)

Yeah, MEA is a steal at that price. Especially the MP if you like horde modes.

Uh, Binary Domain is much better than Gears of War.

PSN Flash sale is up… nothing catches my eye, though. A bunch of pinball tables, I guess?

As I said, the regular sale on right now is pretty good, however.

I’m racking my brain trying to think of one area that Binary Domain is superior than Gears of War and I think I’ve succeeded! I think weapon variety is probably better in BD. Then again, who needs weapon variety when you’ve got an assault rifle with a goddamn chainsaw attachment?

Me, for one. An assault rifle with a chainsaw attachment is still just an assault rifle 95% of the time. Getting close enough to chainsaw means getting shot a lot on the way in.

Gears was better online. Binary Domain is a better single player game.

Hence Binary Domain is better than Gears of War. QED.

I would quibble with the word “online”. Gears is better as a coop game, whether that’s online or same screen coop. Even as a same-screen coop game, it was a lot of fun when played that way.

The competitive multiplayer was a revelation when the first game arrived. I know they added the Horde thing in the sequel but myself and many others spent many hours playing multiplayer in the original. Those four on four fights were brutal, tense and exciting.

II can’t even get behind BD being the better single player game, I don’t remember there being a lot of enemy variety. Seems like most were robots, and as I recall you could pick them apart, like shoot their legs off and they would crawl to you. That was cool. And I think there were some pretty huge and epic boss fights in BD, so maybe I’ve got to give the edge there, but I really dug taking out the berserker with the Hammer of Dawn in Gears so maybe not.

But yeah I wasn’t even comparing multiplayer - did Binary Domain even have multiplayer? If so I didn’t try it.