Bargain Thread 2017

I hope so. Last year I went to Walmart on late Friday afternoon, avoiding the rush, and they had none of the games marked down. If someone didn’t know from their weekly ad that they were on sale, you’d think all the games were $59,97. But instead, I asked the guy to open the case, and get me the two games I wanted (AC: Syndicate for $8, Dark Souls 3 for $15, and I think there might have been a third game for $15).

On the other hand, when I later went to Best Buy, they had all the games on sale in a special bin, and it had been picked clean. I didn’t go to Target last year, so I don’t know if my local Target is more like Best Buy or more like Walmart.

It can vary, but for the most part they get enough of the games to satisfy the demand for at least the first day. I think the better question about those lists is which of them are that hot that they might sell out? $15 for Resident Evil VII might be one of those although horror is not as big a seller typically. Minecraft for sure you’d have to guess will sell out.

The Ubi stuff has mostly run its course I think. For Honor, GR Wildlands, people probably have those. It’s rare for any of the EA Sports stuff to sell out. Final Fantasy XV? Maybe… that one I’d try to go earlier for just in case but again, it’s niche enough that it doesn’t have super broad appeal like some other stuff. Assassin’s Creed: Origins is likely to go quickly.

Personally,I’m struggling to find things this year that the kids want. My middle son already said a preorder for Monster Hunter World is his top pick since it comes out in January. I opened Super Mario Odyssey. I’m probably going to just make sure they all have new headsets since theirs are coming apart or already broke. I’ll also get them a year of PS Plus to keep them engaged with their pals. Oh… and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Actually going to the stores is a sucker’s game these days. Anything that caught my eye last year was either the same price from those stores’ websites or a similar price on Amazon. No reason to deal with the extra craziness of Black Friday if you don’t need to.

That’s true for the most part. I’ve done REALLY well on Best Buy’s website the last couple years. I enjoy the shopping though. I find fun things I wouldn’t have otherwise when I go out and really shop around. Gamestop has a TON of gaming and movie based stuff from Thinkgeek and other vendors in the stores. If you have a larger store near you, that’s totally worth a look. You get a good hands on look at what you can order online and the price is usually similar or better.

New Humble Strategy Simulator Bundle is live.

$1 or more for Steam keys to:

• Rebuild 3 : Gangs of Deadsville
  • Simple Planes
  • Out of the Park Baseball 18

BTA (currently about $4.65) and receive:

• Mad Games Tycoon
  • Plague Inc. : Evolved
  • Train Simulator 2017 plus 2 Scenery Packs

Pay $10 and unlock:

• Cities Skylines : Deluxe Edition

Also in the Humble Store they are having a Racing Sale with lots of racing games discounted 50%-75% (plus 10% additional for Monthly subscribers).

Fanatical Star Deal today is Face Rig for $5.09. Cheapest I’ve seen it outside of a bundle.

Steam has Expeditions : Vikings as the Midweek Madness deal for $20.09 (33%).
Steam also has a Degica Publishers Sale happening. Discounts on RPG Maker stuff, tons of JRPGs and anime/fighting/puzzle games.
Looks like they finally got their Weeklong Deals issues hammered out as well. Some highlights include:

You are pretty much getting an absolute golden shower of hits here for a goddamn dollar.

Great, I hope it ends up helping. Just to be clear though, it only works for IndieGala. Next time I buy a bundle on Fanatical I’ll write one for there as well. Humble Bundle already includes links on their site.

A little surprised at the price of OOTP, though maybe it is based on what they have learned when the season ends.

Is that the Presidential recommendation? ;-)

Yeah, it is a fantastic deal. Rebuild 3 alone is a steal at $1. OOTPBB always seems to hit the bundles hard post-World Series. Seems like a good way to generate interest for next year’s edition among folks who otherwise wouldn’t have purchased/played such a game.

Plus one-ing that one. Anyone who doesn’t own Rebuild 3 should jump in.

Last week’s Humble added Wasteland, Bard’s Tale, and Tormentor x Punisher.

I’m surprised Rpg Maker MV is 25$ cheaper than it was in the humble bundle two weeks ago.

Re: Degica sale, lots of decent stuff in there. Most of the Rpg Maker games are so-so. The two cheapest ones, Labyrinthine Dreams and Remnants of Isolation, were worth playing.

I recommend checking out the IGMC 2017 entries instead of buying one this time around. It was a Rpg Maker competition with a $10,000 prize for best short game. Lots of interesting stuff in there. My entry is an example of what you can make with the programs in ~4 hours and zero time polishing/editing.

This is pretty cool, didn’t notice it before. They’re pulling average play times down from people who have their steam accounts connected I guess? Or maybe from SteamSpy.

OOTPB for $1 must be the best value in gaming. The hours I’ve lost to that series. . . Plus, 18 made some huge additions to the game (international tournaments, winter leagues, negro league database, winter leagues, promotion/relegation).

Anyone know if the Warmachine RPG is any good? I might grab the humble book bundle for 8 dollars.

I think you may be giving too much credit to this and it is just some marketing-fueled guesstimation.

Edit: while I am at it, the “game that Tom would not stream”, A-Train Classic, is on sale this week. Not low enough for me to take the plunge. Cheap cheap cheap I am!

I’d love to know more about this, I really dig train games. Mostly I play Train Simulator 2017, but I’m up for anything that’s awesome.

This looks a lot like the game I played back in 1990 called A-Train with slightly updated graphics. I remember it being decent for the time but rather limited.

My understanding is that it is the port of the recent 3DS game, which was a sequel or remake? of the very cool DS version. The puzzle aspect was quite present in that one - you had to solve scenarios.

I felt the same way. However, MobyGames shows that it is the latest in the A-Train series.

Fanatical Star Deal today is Borderlands 2 GOTY for $7.49 (80%). It’s been this low before, but given all the DLC you get with GOTY, it’s worth buying even if you own the base game already.

Humble Store has a couple of decent deals going on:

IndieGala has a new Hump Day Bundle live. $3.99 for 10 Steam games (and 10 Gala Gold). The only title I recognize is Rencounter.