Bargain Thread 2017

Thank you. I’m getting Warhammer 40K.

Isn’t that the Panzercorps spinoff? Is it better than the original game, because I kept hearing that one was very directive.

Just wanted to say thanks to you sir (and other regular posters) for always passing on the great deals. It really is quite kind of you to volunteer it.

I think the original Panzercorps was great for what it was. Pure beer n pretzels strategy. Most scenarios are definitely puzzles to be solved but they are fun. I suspect this game is more of the same but with a sci-fi lens. It’s going for $43 CDN on Steam right now so $6 is as steal.

https://www.costco.com/Star-Wars-Bladebuilders-Path-of-the-Force-Mega-Pack.product.100369779.html

I am told this is 19.97 at the store (usually 30). Costco Is clearancing out Christmas things and some Christmas specific toys.

So, GOG has a large number of older D & D games on sale, and I remember playing through at least one of the Dark Sun Games in my youth.

The question is, do older D & D games hold up? Somehow Baldur’s Gate does okay, but I’m not sure if that applies to the games on sale below.

Holy crap those are cheap - I’m going to buy them all! As to whether they hold up, well, my cop out answer is going to be YMMV. Are you tolerant of blocky graphics and minimal animation? Gameplay that doesn’t go out of its way to help you? By which I mean, in those early gold box games if you cast heal on someone, you had to go find a place to sleep, choose the heal spell to memorize from your spell book menu, choose how long to rest, then hope you didn’t get ambushed while you rested. It was kind of hardcore in that 90s kind of way. At the time I didn’t mind a bit. These days? Well, I don’t know if I’ve lost patience or just got coddled by systems that take a lot of the tedium away. But I’d still play them, at least for a few minutes.

I almost decided to play Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, so a less impatient and backlog-driven person might enjoy them just fine.

I think I will have to say no at this time, despite the good deal. My backlog is a bit too long right now, especially in RPGs.

How odd that they didn’t include Forgotten Realms Archive One, which is the Eye of the Beholder Trilogy. It’s not even on sale, listing at the full $9.99 on the store. Very weird.

I’d say at $7 the price is right on the bundle IF you are buying for nostalgia purposes. As mentioned above, replaying these means experiencing all the old-school warts and annoyances that have been cleansed from RPGs of the past two decades. If you loved the games back when, you will most likely enjoy at least dabbling in a replay. Probably the best feature of the bundle is that it contains Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures, and there was a TON of very good user-made content for that game that still circulates in various places around the web.

I am sorely tempted, as I own most of the original boxed versions of these (along with the old Forgotten Realms Archive Silver Edition box) and loved them, but, my backlog says “nope”.

Huh, my backlog is a greedy bastard and only ever tells me “more”.

Fanatical has Lost Castle as it’s Star Deal today. $5.29, which is about half price.

Fanatical also has a couple of nice deals featured in it’s Winter Sale:

IndieGala has a new Monday Motivation Bundle live. 11 Indie Steam games I’ve never heard of for $2.99.

Humble Store is giving away horror game Layers of Fear + Soundtrack for FREE for 48 hours.
It’s part of their Indie Mega Week Sale going on all week. Some nice deals, especially for Monthly subscribers.

OtakuBundle has a spectacular deal on the Herocraft Publisher Bundle. Only $1.99 for pretty much the whole Herocraft library, which includes:

• Warhammer 40K : Space Wolf and DLC
  • Strategy & Tactics : Dark Ages
  • Strategy & Tactics : Wargame Collection plus Vikings and USSR vs. USA DLC
  • Tempest plus Treasure Lands DLC and soundtrack
  • King of Dragon Pass
  • Plancon : Space Conflict
  • Marble Duel
  • FootLOL : Epic Fail League

I have personally very much enjoyed playing both Tempest and Strategy & Tactics : Dark Ages recently, and King of Dragon Pass and WH40K : Space Wolf are also high quality titles. Heck, at literally $0.50 each for just those 4 games you can’t really go wrong with this bundle.

No advertised “Weeklong Deals” on Steam today means the rumored Thursday open for the Winter Sale is likely true. In the meantime…

• Sandbox RPG/RTS hybrid Legends of Ellaria is $11.38 (33%) until Dec. 21st.
  • and a reminder that you have until Christmas Day to nab Sword Coast Legends for $4.94 before it’s gone for good.

If you buy the OtakuBundle link and go to your serials page, you can run this script in the dev console to get clickable links to Steam’s registerkey page:

jQuery("td.hikaserial_serial_data_value").each(function() {jQuery(this).after("<td><a href='https://store.steampowered.com/account/registerkey?key="+jQuery(this).text()+"'>Register Key ("+jQuery(this).text()+")</a></td>");}); jQuery("th.hikaserial_serial_data_title").after("<th>Reg Key Link</th>");

That OtakuBundle seems too good to be true. Has anyone bought from them before? Also do you get the Android versions as well?

Just bought it. Just steam keys.

I have an extra set now too because you get a good discount buying multiples.

I have bought from them once before. No hijinks ensued. Usually they run ultra-cheap bundles of total garbage Steam games. Every so often they throw up a winner though.

Also thanks @arrendek for providing the link script. You rock.

Game building engine Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is Fanatical’s Star Deal today at only $1.00 (99%). As if we all have time to actually make games when we can’t even manage to play all the ones we already own!

Also live on Fanatical today, the RPG Bundle is $2.49 for 8 Steam games with RPG themes.

• Rogue Wizards
  • Last Dream
  • Last Dream : World Unknown
  • Dragon Fantasy : The Volumes of Westeria
  • Dragon Fantasy : The Black Tome of Ice
  • Eschalon Book II
  • Eschalon Book III
  • Spaceship Looter

The Last Dream and Dragon Fantasy games are retro-style JRPGs. Rogue Wizards is an iOS port that plays well on the PC. The real steal here is the Eschalon games. Eschalon Book I is FREE on Steam, so for $2.49 you can have the entire series, and it’s a good one. The Eschalon series is one of my favorite indie RPGs from the past decade, with a retro look and feel reminiscent of the Ultima series and a nice character development system and some excellent writing to round it out.

Day 8 of GOG’s Winter Sale brings you Oxenfree for FREE.

Steam Midweek Madness features Prison Architect for $7.49 (75%)
Steam Daily Deal is Bounty Train for $9.99 (60%)

CRYPTARK $5

https://chrono.gg/?=CRYPTARK

Did Tom do a stream of that one at some point?