Bargain Thread 2017

BugBits (casual strategy game) is on sale for two more days. It’s not a new game, but it’s only recently sprung up on itch.io and is coming to Steam in May. Steam keys have been promised to itch.io purchasers.

It’s only $3, so I’ll give it a look.

It’s a bit lightweight and clunky. Battlepillars has a similar theme and gameplay and is much more exciting.

If it’s anything like the old Battle Bugs, I’d be interested. Looking forward to your report.

Not quite as good a deal as the occasional Humble Bundle they do, but Slitherine is having a weekend sale on Steam. 50%-75% off on a whole lot of their catalog.
Even their latest release, Sovereignty : Crown of Kings is 20% off at $19.99.

Both Distant Worlds and Star Hammer are at historical lows, and totally worth owning.

Brian, can you say more about Star Hammer. I’ve heard the campaign is a bit meh.

Sure, It’s a neat, semi-linear campaign with some great writing and real character. The gameplay is the star of the game though. The campaign is just an excuse to string REALLY FUN space battles with one of the finest tactical interfaces you’ll find together. ;)

Damn, no Distant Worlds on Mac.

Slime Rancher is on sale too, it looks kindof interesting anyone have experience with it?

Slime Rancher is fun and addicting; I played it a lot more than I thought I would.

is there any reason slime rancher should be played? does it come from an established dev or something? seems kind of random.

Why should any game be played? This is a really, really weird question.

I’m curious about both of those, but I’m reading that DW:U won’t start up on Steam for some people.* Also that it requires Windows Media Player for some reason? Is that still around in Windows 10?

*Anyone know if the publisher does a CD Projekt-like thing and provide a “backup” copy if people have a problem with the Steam version?

Though it is still in early access, Slime Rancher isn’t new and has been in development for years.

It’s worth a look for those who might enjoy a casual, cutesy FPS. Somewhat similar to Portal, with first-person puzzles and a focus on exploration and experimentation. Thus very different from the intense, “Shoot everything! Conserve Ammo! Yay, a weapon upgrade!” vibe that is more common with the genre.

I’m on Windows 7 (FOREVER If I can help it) and I’ve yet to have a problem with it. I think it maaay require WMP for the intro movie, maybe? Apparently it is a thing though (check #2).

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2414049

I recently tried to install Distant Worlds myself, and I ran into this problem.

After a lot of reading and experimenting, I found the solution. You need to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 redistributable, x86 version. Don’t use the x64 version, it won’t work.

This worked on both Win 10 PCs that were having problems for me. I believe this is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638

just wondering what separates it from any other new greenlight/steam release.

Oh wow, that is wacky, but thank you for finding and sharing that!

Er…this still makes no sense. “It’s a new game, ignore it!” What?

I think what @rei is trying to say is that at first glance Slime Rancher looks like it could easily be one of the bazillion Greenlight / Early Access carousel of crap games that litter Steam like peanut shells on the floor of a sports bar. So what makes it stand out from that crowd of otherwise easily ignorable games and thus worthy of purchase?

The answer is that even though Slime Rancher is the first game from it’s developer and it’s self-published, it’s well designed and attractive, with a unique FPS meets farming game meets puzzler mix that is enjoyable to play. It also seems to be relatively bug free according to the reviews, which is fairly rare for an Early Access title. Reviews are very positive, and updates frequent and the developer communicative, all of which would seem to spell success for the game.

@rei
It would be the perfect game to play with your two or three year old on your lap if you have any because the Slimes are adorable especially when you feed them. I think it will give you something along the lines of a Stardew Valley light feeling.

I

yeah it could have been a quick and dirty mobile port for all i can tell. thanks slainte.