Bargain Thread 2017

Ohhh okay, that makes more sense. Sorry rei. ;)

My kids learned about Slime Rancher from some youtuber (Stampy, probably). They seem to like it, but I can’t figure out what they’re doing except running around collecting blobs and putting them in cages.

It’s a pretty different game, but since my brain puts them together, I just want to say that I enjoyed Stardew Valley much more than Slime Rancher, but they are both fun.

You can breed the slimes to create new ones, which lay different eggs, which you can sell for plorts. Bad slimes also come out at night that attack and eat the “good” slimes. You can also raise chickens to uh, feed the slimes. New areas open up when you meet certain conditions, but it’s really MOTS. The kids enjoy playing and watching though.

Thanks for all the info guys, seeing as how I have Stardew Valley in my backlog I think I will skip this one.

A site called Chrono.gg has the AI War Collection (2014) as a daily deal. It includes all DLC, so it seems. What’s Chrono.gg and what kind of game is AI War?

AI War is a space 4X RTS. Brian can provide more details, but I’ll try to summarize:

The unique thing about AI War is the profound asymmetry between you and the AI opponents. Basically, the AI has an overwhelming superiority in firepower, but it is in limited in its ability to attack you. The more you provoke it, the stronger its response. So unlike a traditional RTS, you are definitely not aiming for complete map control, since this would provoke the strongest possible response. Instead, you need to pick and choose which territories are worth fighting for, and which you will you let the AI keep. Each territory has different potential advantages regarding production, research, etc. You generally try to make do with the least possible territory before mounting an attack on the AI home bases (there are two).

Another interesting feature is that there is a huge variety of ships you can research, but in any given game only a few will be (randomly) available. In that respect, it sort of reminds me of some deckbuilding boardgames: you sort of have to make do with the fleet you have, not the fleet you may want.

As you get into the game, you will need to learn more about the AI’s attack patterns. They are somewhat predictable, and you can use that to your advantage. Some have compared the game to tower defense games, which is fair but AI War is far more complicated.

Finally, although the map is large, the graphics are 2D and somewhat rudimentary. Even though battles involve hundreds or thousands of units, will generally be staring at a screen full of symbols rather than watch glorious battles rage in front of you. AI War 2 is in development, and might address that problem.

There was a time when I really wanted Distant Worlds, but the price was always too high. $20 is reasonable, but now I am not interested, sorry.

I often go through this cycle. “The game is too expensive for me. I’ll wait. It’s on sale, but still more than I want to pay. Ah, it is finally on sale for a price I’m willing to pay! If it’s that cheap, it must not be any good!”

Along those lines I’ve had Drive on Moscow on my wish list for a while, and now that it’s $5 through the weekend I still can’t bring myself to pull the trigger.

Should I?

Heh, or “it is finally on sale for a price I’m willing to pay! But now I’m waiting for a newer game to drop in price instead!”

tried to buy the homefront 2 bundled with dlc but it wouldn’t let me, since i already own homefront 2

too bad, the bundle costs LESS than the expansion pass :(

anyone know how to get around this?

I played it a bit. It is an interesting idea, however, I got bored quickly. I think the problem was the lack of any real challenge. You just needed various slime currencies to buy things to help you get more slime currencies to buy things that…

Maybe there is some element to the game I was missing.

Well, at least the “Circle of Indecision” is good for the wallet. It’s better than finally buying on sale, forgetting about the game for a few months, seeing it clogging up the backlog, then finally playing it, thinking, “why was I excited about this again?”.

Thanks! :)

I ended up buying from GMG so now I have an extra Homefront 2 key to give away.

I thought about buying this for a second and then I went and checked out a let’s play and I suddenly remembered why I couldn’t get into it-spreadsheets in space.

Pleeeeaaassseee, I know spreadsheets in space. EVE is spreadsheets in space. DW is not spreadsheets in space.

Yeah, far from it. It’s one of the few 4X games better than MOO2.

Indeed, though to me MOO1 is the superior MOO.