Bargain Thread 2017

It looks like the freebie is tied directly to your Twitch account. When I redeemed mine it was a simple click of the “Redeem” button, no code and no way to trade it or send it to anyone. Redeeming it just “unlocks” access through your Twitch account to allow for you to download and play through the Twitch client.

Nice Star Deal of the Day on Legends of Eisenwald : Knight’s Edition for only $2.99 on BundleStars today. That’s 90% off the Knight’s Edition retail, 70% off the base game retail. Knight’s Edition is the base game plus OST and art book, so basically a digital deluxe version of the game.

Got $1 and a whole lot of time to kill? The BundleStars Dollar Forever Bundle has 26 Steam games for just $1. Sadly, most of them appear to be games they should be paying YOU far more than $1 to play. I don’t know enough about most of them to say if there is a hidden gem in the lot.

I gotta be honest, whenever I get an email from Bundlestars offering something like 25 games for a buck, I jump on that so fast it would make your head spin. I don’t really know why, I pretty much forget about them immediately, but I can’t pass it up. Like a dollar has almost zero value to me - someone comes up and asks me for a dollar, I give it to them. I don’t need it, and they clearly do. Now you want to give me 25 games for that? Well hell yes!

I totally got my dollar’s worth from whichever bundle had the puppy dog jigsaw puzzles.

How does anyone in this make any money with 26 games for a dollar? It’s staggering. You do get games for young children, Teddy Floppy Ear, mixed in with horror games, mixed in with Mahjong Mistress, which is pretty funny in a way.

I do admit that money is an issue for me and while one buck is still nothing at all, my time is always scarce. I just don’t have it in me to clutter my accounts with shovelware either. Only Humble Bundle seems to have bundles actually worth a damn to me anymore.

EDIT: So now it occurs to me… I guess the money comes from Steam cards? I heard the devs get a 10% cut in a trade, which is 1 or 2 cents times the number of cards, but is still more than one buck divided in 26, less the store’s cut.

Well, the site makes money.

But for the dev, they essentially don’t. I have seen it a habit though with some indie devs to do such sales or Amazon Free days and the like, and then brag about how many people own the game. I think it is a delusional sort of thing.

I would think for larger known titles such a sale is an end of life indicator for that game.

My Response EDIT: Yeah, cards. probably pennies there too but another revenue source.

The Dweller is a really nifty little puzzle game, with a very funny theme. The mechanics are bit obscure sometimes (I had someone point me in the right direction on the forum for one), and it gets a bit into reengineering of the puzzle designer as the game progresses, but if the theme makes it stick for you, it may work.
I’d rather give my buck to the developer of that game, but that’s too late for that: the 80% off sale was a couple of weeks ago ;)

Wow, that Star Deal on Legends of Eisenwald got snapped up in no time. It’s back up to $29.99. :sadface:

You were saved the time of having to play it. It’s for the better I think. I thought it was promising when I played the preview, but I bailed on it when I played the release version. Beautiful looking map, but the combat system really got on my nerves.

And now The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is free on GOG for a limited time (via Arstechnica link)

I can’t figure out where to enter the code?

If you go to the linked Ars Technica page you’ll see a box on the right side with an orange button that reads “Claim a Code”. That button should take you right to the GOG.com page with the code preentered (that’s how it worked for me at least); from there you can just follow the instructions on the page.

Note that some users have reported glitchy captchas in the past, so it might need a couple of tries.

You shouldn’t have to wait long for another deal. In the past month Legends of Eisenwald has been $5 on Steam, Amazon and the Humble Store, then it was part of the $1 tier in a Humble Bundle, and then it was the $3 Star Deal on Bundlestars. I would suspect there will be another offering via bundle or sale within the next couple of weeks.

Oh hey, look at that, it’s currently $5 at WinGameStore.

Realized I already have Witcher at GOG after getting a code. Have at it!
9PNS30426528381077

Yeah I saw that deal for The Witcher and then realized I must already have it for free on GOG. They gave it away quite a bit I believe.

Thanks! I grabbed the code as I only had it on DVD and I can’t even find them.

You’re very welcome. Enjoy!

So I caved and bought the PC gimmick programs bundle. I’ve tinkered a bit with it and I can’t see any improvement, although I wasn’t really expecting much. Does anyone know these programs and what good, if any, they can do?

I was curious about that bundle myself but since nothing in it goes pew pew I probably won’t be buying.

Only one I’ve ever even heard of in the whole bundle is WinZip.

WinZip is fantastic, I have a site license at work and we use it constantly. While Windows has compression software built-in, WinZip goes about 10x further by supporting pretty much all the major compression file types, offering a nice set of tools for organizing and transferring files within compressed folders and giving you decent encryption options for secure transfers. It also interacts with all the major cloud storage options, and the UI is very user friendly. It’s normally $30, so it’s essentially 50% off in this bundle.

As for the rest of the stuff, can’t really comment. The disk defragmenter seems useless, as you’d never want to run it on your SSD, and doesn’t Windows come with defragmentation tools built in now for your SATA drives?