Bargain Thread 2017

The general reaction that I have seen is that it is a bunch of obsolete or also ran commercial software covering roles that are mostly easily handled by superior free software. I think the average end user would probably find all their compression/decompression needs covered by the free 7-Zip, for example. Certainly I do. (and I find compression largely obsolete anyway, with my 130 mbps Internet and multiple 4+ TB drives, but people keep using it). Similarly as far as I know defragging hasn’t been necessary in years.

revo uninstaller is the only good thing in there.

Eh, depends. Given my work usage being able to zip folders is a not insignificant benefit. But then I tend to work on projects with numerous high resolution files, so far from the average application. But print ready files tend to be chunky, and having a single attachment with artwork, fonts, and dielines is handy.

Bundling files is handy. Compressing them, not really.

I don’t trust this new so-called “zip” technology. Sounds like it’s part of that no good science movement.

Been using 7zip for years.

They all seem like traps to me. Get used to using Winzip, for example, for a year, and then your year-long license is up, and you have disassociate that filename from that software. Same with all the stuff that’s supposed to keep your PC tuned. Year is up, surely you want to keep your PC performing well? It would be shame if something were to happen to it.

7zip is better anyway.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s the only good thing in there, but it is the program that I would use more than all the others combined.

Me too - hard to argue with free.

What’s special about it?

It goes in and hunts down registry keys and often works when regular uninstall doesn’t. I thought it was shareware with a trial period though…maybe you get a full license with this bundle?

You get the full version as part of this bundle.

That might be worth it.

Been using Revo Pro for years, it’s so great y’all. Worth the price of the bundle all by its lonesome.

It has various versions; there’s a limited free, a pro (with trial), and a pro portable.

I tried it a while back and still prefer the simplicity of the free Geek Uninstaller. You can use it to clean up after you uninstall Revo… ;)

Uhh, so it turns out all the tweaks slowed down my machine considerably and I had to use a restore point. Use at your own peril… there goes 7 bucks I guess.

Advanced System Care is probably the culprit, but I got rid of all the crap.

Thanks for the tip. In other bargain-related news, the Sniper Elite franchise is part of Steam’s weekend deals. Sniper Elite 3 is $10, and add the Season Pass (worth it?) for a total of $17.49.

I’ve always found that the best tweak for your system is to not have extraneous shit on it.

DOOM appears to be at its lowest price yet on DLGamer, so I finally bit on it.