Bargain Thread 2017

Sweet. Nothing better get in the way of me blowing more cash on Steam games.

I noticed yesterday that GOG.com had a sale on most of the same games but they did not give you the combined discount the way Steam did. I’m guessing that it was both a mistake and that GOG was getting undercut and that wasn’t the plan either.

Bundle Stars has a bundle that’s kind of interesting. $3.99 for:

Livelock - Top down shooter that looks good. Anybody have an opinion on it?
Shark Attack Deathmatch 2
Manual Samuel
Candle
Standby
Good Robot
Guardians of Ember: Basic Edition Also looks like it might be interesting.
Death by Game Show

This also looks interesting.

The guy who made it, Shamus Young, is one of my favorite game analysts out there. He also did a series of dev diaries for making the game that were fascinating.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=20638

Good Robot is really great.

This. Star Wars Steam deal had 60-75% off all the games in the list, and then Steam accidentally applied an additional 77% discount of $60.83 to the already discounted bundle total, making it $18.13. They changed it to a 23% discount on the bundle after realizing their mistake, so now it’s reversed and the bundle discount is $18.13 while the price is $60.68 (assuming you own none of the titles).

Congrats to anyone quick enough to take advantage, sorry to everyone else. I didn’t realize it was a pricing error when I posted it, or I would have urged you to act quickly. To me, $20-$30 seems like about the max price anyone would want to pay for a huge collection of nostalgic old Star Wars games, most of which are unlikely to ever get replayed by the consumer.

Exactly, I really didn’t think it was a pricing mistake either. It seemed like a reasonable price for a ton of old games that I enjoyed 20 years ago but am unlikely to play again, and of course steam library++.

Tiny Build Bundle!

The Final Station looks good.

Aw sweet, trains and zombies are like chocolate and peanut butter, I need to look into this.

BundleStars has RYSE : Son of Rome for $2.99. At $3 there really is no excuse not to own it.

They also have a bundle of 8 games from Nova Dimension for $1.00. I believe they all have Steam Trading Cards if that is something that interests you. Dungeon Journey and Envoy look decent enough to be worth the $1.

Guys, Streets of Rogue is worth the price of the bundle along. SO FUN.

All I could think of when I saw that bundle was:

I don’t have time to explain what I don’t have time to explain.

And I’ve never played Destiny… Thanks Destiny 2 thread.

I heard that the gameplay was pretty mediocre.

I am on the final act, its a short game 5-6 hours on normal. Don’t ask me why its taken like 2 years to finish it. :p

The set pieces are pretty fun to see. Combat is similar to Batman/Mordor (block, attack, break block).

For $3, I’d recommend it.

Correct. I got a couple hours of play out of it, but can’t say I enjoyed that time overly much.

I suppose so, I mean, it’s typical action game fare. On the other hand, the story is decent and interesting, and while short (maybe 5-6 hours to play through) at least they didn’t try to extend the game by using the super-repetitive overly drawn out sequences found in many other titles like it. Most of all though, Ryse is absolutely stunning in its visuals. This is a game that takes full advantage of your expensive hardware, you will marvel at the incredible detail as you travel to stunningly beautiful ancient locations and stab people repeatedly until they are dead.

Can someone see if Trials Fusion is on sale on PSN in Germany? I think the EU has different sales than the US.

On the other hand:

So it’s not for everyone, that’s for sure. I had a great time with it overall, but I hated it in the beginning:

The defining moments for me included the first time I created a Phalanx with my fellow Roman soldiers. Just seeing the odds stacked so badly against these men, seeing them rally around me and use their superior technology and tactics to win was almost… inspiring. Tom Chick and divedivedive both said in the Ryse thread that they’ve got this thing where seeing Romans doesn’t appeal to them at all. I used to be the same way. That’s why I was so disappointed to see Assassin’s Creed II being set in Rome. But Ryse is the game that changed that for me. That’s the game that really made me curious and made me dig deeper into Roman history through various Great Courses lectures. The game is a mixture of the real and the fictitious, but it really made me want to learn more, and it really made me care about the characters by the end.

Just to be clear, my problem isn’t really Rome itself but rather the setting of the Roman Empire. Kind of like if I’m watching a movie with elves or dragons, my brain just tunes out totally. I have a weird brain.