Bargain Thread 2017

Yeah, I don’t really get it. Could you actually make a game, like if I bought in at the second level and used the sci-fi starter set, would I have tools to make a dinky little science fiction RPG? Because I would totally do that.

I have RPG Make VX Ace, I think from some other bundle. You can totally create a little RPG from the base program and a couple of kits. It’s not going to look great, and unless you’re willing to learn some programming, you’ll probably have to stick to simpler quests and dialogue stuff, but it’s doable. It’s cool to fool around, and obviously if you get serious, there’s plenty of games that sell on Steam that were made with the program.

Yup! It’s pretty easy IF you stick to making something that would fit into the NES-SNES-GB era. The hardest thing to understand is the battle system’s math.

Ace has a demo you can check out:

Adding new gameplay systems or customizing it into something else can be a little harder. VX, Ace, and XP (probably next week BTA) also use Ruby. You’re given 99% of the code to change your game however you want. MX (50$ tier) uses Javascript.

Oh, don’t forget to scroll down to the bottom of the page if you already own RPG Maker. There’s a free exclusive asset pack being given away.

I am deeply confused by the tiering of the RPG Maker software SKUs. You get RPG Maker VX Ace at the $1 tier, but it appears to be a more expensive, better version of RPG Maker VX, which you get at the next tier up. And then at the $15 tier, you get 2000 and 2003, which appear to be old cheap versions?

Which seems to be why RPG Maker games have been a watchword in identikit shovelware for many years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are plenty of good games made with it but because everything’s made with basically the same assets and very little of it bothers to customize in terms of gameplay it’s awfully hard to sift the wheat from the chaff.

I started a RPG Maker VX Ace project, but the developer of the SRPG script I was using abandoned his project to work on a commercial module instead. There’s another script being developed for RPG Maker MV, so I will probably wait for the price to drop on it. (MV was $29.99 on Steam twice in the last year or so, and probably will be again.)

I am not interested in the graphics “starter” packs since I do all my own graphics.

You’ve got it. There’s no reason to use VX from the BTA. Ace is an expanded version of the same program.

Most of the serious devs try to avoid being lumped in with the rest at first sight. Some don’t look like Rpg Maker games at all, Cherry Tree Comedy Club for example.

Titanfall 2 at GMG for $15.
gone

And all gone apparently.

Star Deal at BundleStars today is Aarklash Legacy for $1.00. Released in 2013, Aarklash Legacy is a tactical battle ARPG based on the Confrontation miniatures game universe. While there have been better tactical RPGs since, it’s still quite good, and certainly well worth $1.

24 hours until the reveal of this month’s Humble Monthly Bundle. In the meantime, Humble is having both an Assassin’s Creed Weekend Sale with up to 66% off the franchise and a Kalypso Publisher’s Sale that has some sweet deals for Monthly Subscribers (extra 10%).

Speaking of publisher sales, Iceberg Interactive games are on sale at Steam this weekend. Highlights include:

• Starpoint Gemini Warlords - $17.49 (50%)
  • Oriental Empires - $23.99 (20%)
  • Stars in Shadow - $12.49 (50%)
  • Longsword : Tabletop Tactics - $20.09 (33%)

And because I have a special place in my heart for old school grid-based RPGs, I’m once again giving a shout out to Heroes of Monkey Tavern which is $4.99 (50%).

Titanfall 2 is now 20$ @ Best Buy in Canada & US.

Consoles & boxed PC version. Download codes are still 60$.

Worth every penny.

Also on Origin Access if you wanna shell out for that.

Amazon is practically giving away Mass Effect Andromeda Deluxe Edition for PS4/XB1. $13.71 for PS4, $12.85 for XB1.

4 episode pack of Adam Wolfe is on sale @ Chrono.gg for $2.50 (87% off!). Seems its a great HOG series.

Sale is on for 3 more hours.

https://www.chrono.gg/

Steam Page for more info/vids:

Also on sale on Steam for 84% off!

HOG series?

Hidden Object Game

Sounds like PUBG!

So in a hidden object game, it’s kind of like those old Find Waldo pages, where the screen is full of objects, and you’re searching through them to find the right thing? That’s a genre name that never made me say “Wow, I gotta try that!”, though to be fair, maybe the name isn’t doing the genre justice. Whenever I see the name though, I always picture that first puzzle in Monkey Island 3 where you’re trapped in the hold and you have to notice these two gems in this sea of objects that are on the screen. I hated that puzzle so much. And Monkey Island 3 as a result. Though I did finish the game, just to get my friend to shut up about how I needed to play through Monkey Island 3.

I love a good HOG game, like the sort Artifex Mundi makes. A good one is like a bubble of zen, quite a nice little relaxer at the end of a busy day.

HOG’s are really great on tablets.