Bargain Thread 2018

Man, if “an actual fire that I could throw software in to” was a thing that existed, Fanatical’s bundles would make that sucker burn for weeks

Sharon Horgan.

She’s one of those people I could listen to for ages.

Diego

AER is a chill little game I enjoyed a lot. Give it a try!

Heads up! Self-promotion alert!

The Fanatical Jumbo bundle has an old game in there called Hostage. It was originally published by Mindscape back in the early days of PC gaming and I used to love it. I have no idea how well it plays converted to modern PCs.

Hey I just logged in to play Overwatch, and I got an offer to claim a free copy of Destiny 2…

Man, classic game!

It’s actually an Infogrammes game (the original name was Opération Jupiter), and the DOS version is a joke compared to the proper computers’, like the Amiga. The whole catalogue of games that publisher (Classic Digitals) chose to hastily sale were great 8-16bits computer games, that they threw down the DOSBox machine without giving the slightest hint of a shit. I think it’s a despicable practice.

Oooh, that was called Rescue: The Embassy Mission on NES!

Thanks for the links, guys. I hadn’t thought to check out the reviews and comments on Steam. Sounds like a pretty poor port. One of the comments recommends getting an emulator and playing one of the other versions instead.

Agreed, and many of them have aged very poorly. Daemonsgate was a game I very much enjoyed playing 25 years ago (hard to believe 1993 was a quarter century ago!!) but would be a frustrating and tedious slog today. I recall the final portion of the game, where you fight the big bad guy, was bugged so badly that many people couldn’t even finish the game. I’m sure Classic Digitals hasn’t fixed any of that with these DOSBox versions.

Fun fact, I still have the big box release day copy of Daemonsgate on my shelf. It came with extras that included a videocassette containing a 30 minute “Making of Daemonsgate” feature. I no longer even own a VCR to watch that with. =)

I would say it is a good wager that anyone that releases with DOSbox has not touched the code since the initial production, and it is highly likely the source code is possibly even lost/missing.

I actually had to tell the genius behind “Retroism” to remove the goddamn warez .txt files from their re-release of Microprose’s Task Force 1942. I knew exactly from what DOS warez collection torrent they’d got it from.

I dunno, if you’re going for maximum nostalgia seeing razor1911.nfo files would definitely work for me!

Turn-based strategy title Warhammer 40K : Sanctus Reach is the Fanatical Star Deal today for $6.89 (77%), a historic low.

Need more Warhammer? It’s Games Workshop Warhammer Week in the Humble Store. Up to 90% off dozens of titles and DLC.

GreenManGaming has some very interesting Triple Pack Bundles happening right now. For example:

• Warfare Triple Pack includes Sniper Elite 3, This War of Mine and Insurgency for only $3.99.
  • Paradox Triple Pack includes Crusader Kings II, Magicka and Teelglitch : Die More Edition for $3.99

Both of those triple packs are amazing. Granted CK II is only a taster of what is possible, given the base game only allowed you to play as a Christian monarch, so no Venetian republic, no Emir of Grenada, no Hindi or Buddhists, as the map didn’t even include them initially.

But you could get hundreds of hours from just what is there. And if you want more? There’s plenty available.

Also Magica is worth it for the price alone, especially if you can get a coop session going.

New Warhammer Bundle at Humble today.

• $1 Tier is Talisman Digital Edition and 3 expansions along with Dawn of War GOTY
  • $5 BTA Tier contains End Times : Vermintide, Blood Bowl 2 and Space Marine Collection
  • $12 Top Tier is Dawn of War III, Vermintide Stromdorf DLC and Battlefleet Gothic : Armada

Fantastic deal if you don’t own any of it. Sadly, that’s not me.

Steam has an Aspyr Publisher’s Sale. Up to 75% off titles like Civilization, Homeworld, Borderlands, Mafia, Bioshock, Star Wars, Call of Duty and more.

They’re also celebrating 100 Years of Polish Independence with a sale on games from Polish developers and publishers. That’s a surprising number of really good games.

There are also nearly 500 Weeklong Deals including:

I own most of them, but I really want gothic.

Also, Blood Bowl 2 is fun.

Wow, $12 for Dawn of War 3 and Battlefleet Gothic is good enough for me.

Hmm, I have Space Marine already but not any of the DLC, or Vermintide for that matter. Does the Space Marine collection include a bunch of DLC that matters?

I didn’t feel it was worth posting in the Giveaway thread, but I have a Steam key for something called…

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Item: Razorfang Poison

If anybody wants it just let me know! I’ve had this key for years…