Bargain Thread 2018

I don’t think I’ll ever shop at a place that lists price per hour.

Alien Rage AND Enemy Front for $1

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/alien-rage-plus-enemy-front-pack

How bad can they be? ;)

If you like JRPGs, you want this. It’s a Compile Heart game (of Nep-nep fame), but it’s a lot better than you might think at first. The story has some interesting twists that caught me entirely by surprise, and it’s easy to get invested in the characters and story. Gameplay is also pretty enjoyable, and for the price, I’d say it’s well worth buying if you have the slightest interest in JRPGs.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/fairy-fencer-f-bundle

Unreal, the original game from Epic, is 20 yrs old today. To celebrate, you can add it to your Steam or GOG library for free today

Hmm, I do have the slightest interest in JRPGs, but am usually good with one every year or two. Can you go into a bit more detail on the gameplay and combat? It’s hard to get much of a sense from the trailers that just show off cutscenes and special attacks.

If you have played any of the *dimension Neptunia games, gameplay is somewhat similar. Combat is turn-based, you have attacks and skills, MP, a special mode that enhances damage and grants new skills for a short time. Characters use different weapons and have different skills, with some characters being better at some things.

Outside of combat, you either explore dungeons - (and most fights can be avoided if you want) or engage in skits or interactive scenes in a VN style. Dungeons can be altered by using fairies on them - so you can increase difficulty of mobs, or alter the item drops. There’s also some limited crafting, and lots of sidequests, though most of those are of the “kill enemies” or “bring items” variety.

And then you have the characters and the story. The protagonist is actually pretty unlikeable at first, but as the game progresses so does the character. The characters that join him are colorful and multifaceted (for the most part), and there are some interestings twists and turns in the story, and multiple different endings depending on the choices you make in some places (or whether you won certain fights, or reached a certain level before a certain event).

In many ways, Fairy Fencer F is my favorite Compile Heart JRPG. It’s funny while still being serious, it’s heartwarming and bittersweet. Combat flows a bit better than in the Neptunia games, there are more options in dungeons. Production values are about what you’d expect from Compile Heart, but for me they work better in FFF than they do in most of the Neptunia games, which is somewhat surprising.

Thanks!

Merchant’s Chest Bundle has been added to Fantical for BundleFest. $2.99 for Steam keys to:

• Rise of Venice and Beyond the Sea DLC
  • Port Royale 3 and all DLC
  • Patrician IV and all DLC
  • Patrician III

That’s a whole lot of merchant sailing empire goodness for $3.

It’s not just cost per hour. GMG has a ‘Stats and Facts’ section that lists things like average time played, average completion percentage, number of players over a given timeframe, etc. It’s pretty neat. I doubt it will sway my purchasing decisions, although the number of players could be a useful stat when looking at multiplayer-centric games.

Regarding the Fencer game. There seem to be 2 of them. Are they a series? Or is one an enhanced version of an older one?

Nope, same game. Advent Dark Force is basically an Enhanced Edition (think Dark Souls 2 and Scholar of the First Sin) with better* graphics, some tweaks and improvements in combat, a new ending, and some improvements in the pacing of the second part of the game.

* “better” may be subjective - some people didn’t like the improved “bloom” effect used in ADF.

Thanks! Was wondering which one to start playing. That cleared things up!

Edit: I’m getting a directx error… seems like there’s no solution from the Steam forum.

There are some things people did to try and fix that… you can also play the “old” version. That’s the one I played, actually.

Fanatical has Distraint for Free today.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/distraint

Added a trailer :

DISTRAINT is a 2D psychological horror adventure game

FYI for all.

Yeah, I agree that I would never buy a game based on on its cost per hour, but it is a neat statistic that’s cool to see.

Fanatical has added the All Stars X Bundle to Bundlefest Week. $1.99 for 10 Indie Steam games including Chroma Squad, Skullgirls, and Deadlight.

Fans of the F2P strategy game Order of Battle WWII can also get 3 DLC packs for $4.99 in the Order of Battle Bundle (which includes the F2P base game as well).

48% off right now. Picked it up after getting caught up on the ESO forum thread. This appears to be a very single player friendly MMO.

Seems the game is in beta up till June 5th.

**FYI this isn’t a Steam key, its a direct download key to use on the ESO website. I am ok with that since it was so cheap. :)

Its the full game and both expansions and some collectors edition content, here is what registered for me on the ESO website:

It’s barely a MMO at all. It has dungeons and group content, but I’ve never touched that stuff. I treat it as a single-player Elder Scrolls game with much slower progression and other people running around.