Bargain Thread 2018

Some sweet deals in that mix now that all 24 have been revealed.

• DEX for $1.49 (93%)
  • Aven Colony for $8.99 (70%)
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 for $5.19 (60%)
  • Yooka-Laylee for $10.79 (73%)
  • Expeditions : Viking for $11.99 (60%)
  • My Time in Portia for $12.99 (35%)
  • Moonlighter for $14.99 (25%)

Those are all cheaper than the Steam Sale and most are historic lows for each game.

Careful with buying the discovery packs online, though. They may send you multiple copies of the same pack (“styles may vary”), which will have the same cards in them. It’s better to buy in the store so you can see what you’re getting, although quantities are most likely limited.

Medieval : Kingdom Wars is the Fanatical Star Deal today for a historic low $7.99 (60%).

At GreenManGaming you can pre-order Dragon Quest XI : Echoes of an Elusive Age - Digital Edition of Light for $43.79 (27% off) as their featured Flash Deal.

They also have a sale on Stardock titles including:

• Offworld Trading Company - $8.50
  • Fallen Enchantress Ultimate Edition - $15.30
  • Sorcerer King : Rivals - $11.47
  • Galactic Civilizations III - $11.56

While their Weird and Wonderful Sale features a whole bunch of indie titles up to 80% off.

Titan Quest is $13 for Xbox, $14 something for PS4. As a PC player, I’d recommend skipping it. It’s way too hard.

I played in on XB1 until the final boss. That guy had an attack that sucked away my health and gave it to him. After a couple of hours of trying, I couldn’t ever get him below 2/3 health. Uninstalled, and put away. Particularly given that this is a game they expect you to play 3 times through ascending difficulty levels to get all of the achievements, I’m not going to be bashing my head against that wall.

Is it worth playing up until that point? I own the PC version but never finished it - wouldn’t mind trying it on XB1 at this price but is it a good port? Does it control as well as Diablo 3 on console?

My understanding is that the port is bad. I prefer the PC game. I have beaten the base game, but Battletech got out before I could get any further.

Yeah, stick with the PC version. It’s terrific. There are good threads about this game on this forum.

Up until the end boss, I loved it. That end boss is some buuuuulllllshit, though. And I fought him before Immortal Throne, which apparently actively makes him harder.

You definitely have to take immunities into account towards the end. I hear they become more important at higher difficulties.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Best Buy Dropmix deal. I was tempted early in the year, and I’m happy to get it at this price (although sad that it means the game probably wasn’t well-received). It’s definitely a fun toy. I’m expecting it’ll be an interesting curiosity at my family reunion this weekend.

It’s not bad, but it is more of the same. Some new items, some new runes.

One of the biggest changes is the inclusion of one handed throwing weapons. They really work well with my illusionist (Rogue/nature).

Yeah, on PC, I think killing that boss seemed impossible. I asked Qt3 for help after trying for a few hours. Then even with their help I determined that it really was impossible with my current equipment, and I played an earlier area in the game for a while to get items with the right resistances so that he couldn’t steal as much health from me. Once I had that, I then finally used scrolls that I’d never used, and used potions that I’d never used before, and even then it took me a long time to beat him.

So why did I do all that? Because @krayzkrok said that the area after that boss was a fun area (it’s the immortal throne expansion area). He was right, and it was fun experiencing it once, but there’s no way I’m ever making another character that has to fight that boss, or taking that character through the next difficulty where he’ll have to fight that boss again.

I love ARPGs, I love challenging games, but I’m not enough of a masochist to enjoy Titan’s Quest.

It’s a shame that you ran into the same thing on Xbox. I was really hoping to hear that they would re-balance the game for Xbox compared to the PC version.

My current build makes survival a bit easier. With the new Anniversary version, Traps are much more useful, and I usually kite everything, and let my traps and wolves do the work.
Actually, Hades was an easier fight for me.

The newest expansion let’s you skip to level 40, which sounds fun, until you realize how little equipment you have.

If anyone is still playing Titan Quest on the PC and wants to play multiplayer, that would be cool.

The gameplay was basically the Diablo 2 homage it was on PC (mindless killing stuff for fun & loot), the controls and porting were just ok. Even on an XB1X, there were delayed texture fills, 1- or 2-second freezing, and long load times. But I probably would have stuck it out if it hadn’t been for the frustrating difficulty spikes. It was a pretty good game for listening to an audiobook or podcast and killing time. It’s not in Diablo 3’s class, but that’s Blizzard’s high standards that nobody else really hits consistently.

What? Ok, so you haven’t really even tried Diablo 2 then. Come on, Act 1? You didn’t even unlock Hardcore mode by beating the game once on Normal!

In fairness, act 1 of Diablo 2 is really boring for the most part.

I kind of like the early game of the Diablos, where you’re just whooshing through levels and new skills are just cascading down on you and there’s so much new stuff to try. Later on, when things level off and it gets a little more grindy, I start to lose interest.

Sure, but act 1 of Diablo 2 specifically, for at least a good chunk of it, involves wandering around largely featureless space slowly murdering one or two zombies or skeletons at a time with maybe one ability and zero exciting loot. I’ve never been able to get enthused enough to repeat it to run a second character or even do the next difficulty (though you do have more toys at least in the latter case). I really can’t blame anyone for not being up for sticking with it even once, especially now that there are dozens of Diablo emulating ARPGs, most of whom have a lot more exciting lead-ins. Including Diablo 3.

You’re both right. Act 1 does shower skills at you at a pretty good pace, especially if you type in the console command “Players 8” and play that way. You get more experience, and level up fast. But at the same, there is no pushback at all until late in Act 1 when you fight the creatures that emit lightning bolts when you hit them. That’s the first time you can actually die in Diablo 2, if your lightning resist is still zero. You’re also right in that there’s no interesting loot in Act 1 either, unless you get pretty lucky. The loot really starts dropping in Act 2 when you start seeing some unique items. And all the unique items are pretty cool in Diablo 2, and have interesting affects on the gameplay.