Bargain Thread 2018

I know I’m repeating myself here, but just in the off chance you were not aware of it: you can sign up for Microsoft Rewards and earn points for Bing searches. Yes, I know, but you can hit your daily points in a few minutes and over a few months earn enough to cash in for Game Pass and XBL Gold. I haven’t paid like real money for either in quite some time.

Do you follow the GameDeals subreddit? Pretty sure there was a deal like that a couple days ago.

Microsoft will offer a month of Game pass for $1 from time to time, and recently Amazon had a 6-month code on sale for half price.

I bought the $1 month in June, then spent the entire month too engrossed in AC Origins on PS4 to play anything on XBone.

Chariot is $3 over on Chrono.gg

https://www.chrono.gg/

Got an email from Steam that The Marvelous Miss Take is on sale for $3.99, that’s 80% off. Think I’m going to have to grab it.

That GreenManGaming Summer Sale includes The Elder Scrolls Online : Morrowind for a ridiculously low $4.27.

Morrowind contains all the content from ESO : Tamriel Unlimited too, so it’s the perfect way to jump into ESO cheaply and get access to a ton of content right away. If you received ESO as part of the Humble Monthly awhile back, $4.27 is a steal to add all the Morrowind content to your base game.

What makes it different than any other MMO released in the last decade?

That’s a helluva lot of content for $5, even without the new expansion. The only bummer being that you still need to sub to get access to the infinte bags…without which the game is kind of a pain in the ass.

Nothing. It’s a bog standard MMORPG at it’s core. BUT, it has all the production values of a Bethesda Elder Scrolls game, and it plays like Skyrim with other people running around. In fact it’s very easy to play it as a single player Elder Scrolls game with a ton of content and pretty much ignore everyone else, and it’s just as FUN that way.

Including fully voiced quests.

I think that’s slightly underselling it. It’s definitely an archetypal MMO with the caveats that entails, and although you don’t -have- to pay a subscription fee, you’ll want to if you have any desire to ever craft anything and retain your sanity. But it has more active, mobile and reactive combat than most games in the genre. You have waaay more freedom to build your character than usual because while you do pick a class, that only defines three of a few dozen potential skill lines. There’s now a crime system so you can steal from owned containers throughout the game, pickpocket (most) NPCs, loot stores’ safeboxes, break into people’s houses (not player housing, but NPC houses), and (apparently - I guess this requires a skill?) extort merchants, not to mention outright murder NPCs. There is (instanced) surprisingly elaborate player housing with craftable furniture and mounted boss head trophies and whatnot. There are hundreds if not thousands of books that are readable, hidden chests and collectibles, and so on. Ok, so a lot of that does fall under the “plays like Skyrim” rubric, but they aren’t something you’ll find in most MMOs and I think deserve to be explicitly called out. And FWIW, I think the skill system and combat are better than anything in the singleplayer Elder Scrolls games.

Question from someone who hasn’t paid attention: is there also a monthly subscription fee?

Optional, but there’s at least one thing you don’t get any other way - an unlimited space bag that automatically receives all crafting materials. Without which you can expect to either dedicate a shit ton of bag/bank space to crafting stuff, or skip crafting altogether and never loot crafting materials.

I’ll second or third that the production values for ESO are pretty high. I’ve been enjoying strolling through the basic game on xbox like it was a theme park RPG. Check out the list of voice actors for example:

Is the morrowind stuff fun / worth playing? “More of the same” is what I’m hoping to hear :)

Flash deal today in the GMG sale is Dying Light - The Following : Enhanced Edition for only $14.87 (75%).
Make sure to increase the FOV unless you enjoy yacking on your shoes. ;-)

Life is Strange Complete at $3.77 and Life is Strange : Before the Storm at $7.67 are the 12 hour deals.

Dragon’s Dogma : Dark Arisen is only $7.97 (73%)

Ash of Gods : Redemption is $14.97 (40%)

Sqeenix titles have joined the sale as well. 20%-75% off a ton of games and DLC.

Steam has Dragon Cliff as the Daily Deal today for $7.49 (25%).

That’s my willing to vomit into my Converses point!

IndieGala has Tales of Berseria as their current limited run deal at $12.49 (plus a key for something called WeakWood Throne)

https://www.indiegala.com/crackerjack

320 keys left.

Just noticed that Shadows of War is on sale. I never played it (or its predecessor) but apparently it’s been patched up recently so early reviews might be misleading.

What’s the consensus today, is it worth $20?

You can get it for even a bit less than that*-- I bought it in May when it was 30 and my only regret is that I was impatient and missed out on getting the Gold version with all the DLC for just a couple of bucks more than that more recently (Steam Summer Sale, current GMG sale which sells Steam keys anyway). It is a BIG game, though. I’m probably around 40 hours in and am not close to finishing the plot. They’ve made recent changes that removed loot boxes and microtransactions and tweaked the gameplay accordingly.

*Check Reddit’s GameDeals forum, or at least check out the price on GMG, especially if you have a login there. I think I just saw the base game for less than 17.

Thanks for the info!

Looks like GMG has the regular version for $16, and the Gold for $32. Do you think the Gold is the best deal?