Bargain Thread 2019

Yeah, you really do not want to pay extra for an XP boost in Odyssey.

Interesting-- I’d heard people complaining of too much grinding required to level, at least in the first month or two after release.

@malkav11 is the DLC worth it? I’d heard it was meh (in contrast to that available for Origins).

I have no idea, I haven’t played the game. Just pointing out that the Gold Edition is massively discounted and the Season Pass never has been and maybe never will be.

I have not had that experience at all with Odyssey being grindy. But I like doing side quests. Also, since the game mostly levels along with you, there isn’t much point to being higher level except for unlocking more abilities, and the highest levels of the abilities are gated to accomplishing things in game so more xp won’t help with that.

A lot of reviews said the game seemed like it was designed for that 50% XP boost. I only played with the boost, and it seemed perfectly fine. I didn’t outscale the enemies, and I didn’t have to grind.

People who only played the exact linear story progression were saying that. Which is nuts. You can’t play The Witcher 3 story progression that way, either. Honestly, it felt like it was people who wanted to bitch about UBI selling XP bonuses and looking for straw man reasons to complain about it.

There’s so much to do in the game and so much to see that there’s zero reason to buy any XP boosts whatsoever. You’re going to be struggling as it is to keep your gear within arm’s length of your level because the game honestly is so generous with XP requirements/level even into the 30s and 40s.

Most reviews either don’t mention it at all except in passing that it’s available. Very few call it a requirement to enjoyment.

I’m level 38 on AC:O, never had to grind, do the main missions and anything else I fancy and had zero issues. In fact I don’t do the Naval stuff at all either or the message board stuff either.

Yup, otherwise known as “professional game reviewers.” This is the problem with getting your game opinions from people who are paid to play games on a deadline.

Well, even then the only loudly shouted opinion that you needed to grind that I can remember was Ben Kuchera at Polygon. Ben didn’t review Odyssey for Polygon, either. He just wanted to get himself inserted into the conversation, I guess.

And when he made his grind-y comments, there were a lot of folks responding back to him with “What?”

Far Cry New Dawn is $20 at Best Buy this week. Held its price point for all of a month before a discount.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/far-cry-new-dawn-xbox-one/6317323.p?skuId=6317323

It’s still $20 on the Uplay store too.

Yep, it’s going on uplay anyway so might as well buy it there.

From the link, it appears Rick is talking about the Xbox One version (and probably PS4 too) so Uplay is right out.

Yeah, it’s the console versions.

Ahh OK. So now it’s the same price on console and PC, good stuff.

Fanatical has a new Tales from Candlekeep Complete Bundle live today. $4.99 nets you Tales From Candlekeep : Tomb of Annihilation plus all 5 DLC. Even if you already own the base game, $5 for $17 worth of DLC is not a bad deal either.

Steam has the Monkey Island Collection as the Daily Deal for $11.52 (66%).

If I’ve not played much Civ in recent years, is VI worth bothering with (via the Humble Bundle) if I have Civ V chilling in my library?

I’m not a diehard of the genre, but when I’m in the mood I’ve always enjoyed the games. I’m perfectly happy to snatch it up if it’s a better experience or something.

It’s quite a bit different. I think I prefer VI over V.

In the grands scheme play is similar, but the map plays a greater role in VI and districts change up city management. I’d say of you haven’t played V in your library then you may as well do that because you might just buy VI and not play it :-)

The AI doesn’t handle 1 unit per tile very well so the military game generally isn’t very threatening.

Have you played Civ IV? I think that was the pinnacle.

This might help. I have owned every PC Civ version since 1. I did not bother buying the expansions for VI and if I need a Civ fix I would play V with the expansions or IV (BtS).

I have Civ IV as well, and at some point snagged expansions for it. As someone who just only rarely binges and doesn’t get really obsessed with it I was just wondering if any of the new stuff really matters.

Not that $15 is a fortune, but I am too busy to grow the backlog without a good reason anymore.