Bargain Thread 2019

@Alistair’s gaming room:

I played it in a pretty small area. Keep in mind that link above is not the VR version, which is separate (and on less of a discount):

Sale on at the Ubistore… Far Cry 5 for $15. The first Division for $5.

https://store.ubi.com/us/far-cry--5/591567f6ca1a6460388b4568.html?lang=en_US

Dang, I just bought FC5 for $23 2 weeks ago. That’s a great deal, if you haven’t played it you should do so. Fantastic game.

Twitch Prime free games are up for this month. You probably own half from various bundles and never played them. You won’t play the other half either. But you’re going to click this link anyway, like a trained monkey. You have a compulsion. You can’t help yourself. You must acquire, must collect. Your psyche, your soul, it is damaged. More, more, more, you weep, tears of blood.

Click the link, you filthy animal. Click it.

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Disgusting.

On behalf of trained monkeys, I protest. Monkeys have much more self-control than we do.

Sorry. Busy throwing poop.

Don’t judge me!

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China is free for a limited time on Uplay.

Final Fantasy 14 is now on Twitch Prime, you inveterate game collecting junkies. It’s a free copy of the game, but here’s the twist-- FF14 offers an unlimited time free trial, going up to level 35. So you should do that trial and see if you like the game. Then when you hit 35, apply the twitch code to unlock your account and get 30 days of play. It’s good through May.

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

They also have a recruit a friend thingie, where both the recruiter and the new player get free stuff, so if anyone has an active account, make the offer.

Happy to offer up my recruitment code if anyone’s looking - it also gets you some additional items to help start out (an xp boosting hat and some tokens for leveling gear). Would recommend a new player to start on a preferred world, but if you choose Hyperion (non-preferred) I can help out with some gear and other stuff as a welcome to the game.

Yes, the preferred worlds also offer a double XP boost until level 60, which is obviously a huge deal.

Likewise, I’m happy to provide a referral code to anyone looking for one.

Preferred worlds are nice if you want to level multiple jobs, but the main storyline drops enough XP to level to 60 without pause on your first class. Basically, it’s a nice bonus but shouldn’t be a dealbreaker for anyone.

Is this fun if you’ve never played a Final Fantasy game?

It’s a MMO, like WoW but plays slower. Did not grip me when I tried it like 6 years ago.

It has retroactive ties to older games in the franchise but you don’t need to have played them, no. It’s got a huge amount of stuff to do but combat is pretty boring for a long while and the main story is very uneven in terms of pacing and interest value (don’t bother with non-main story quests unless they unlock something or you are advancing multiple classes). I am told it’s much more consistently entertaining in the expansions but there are many hours of mandatory content between you and the expansions.

If that deal for Far Cry 5 for $15 didn’t grab you, GMG has it for $13.50.

Just watching my stepson play, I think, 11 was enough to convince me that it wasn’t my cup of tea.

14 is very different from 11. 11 was awful.

Having played both, 11 is a very different beast than 14, mechanics-wise. The races, classes, and feel of the worlds are quite similar, however.

The main story in 14 takes quite a while to get rolling, unfortunately. I think it’s quite good once it does, but it can be a bit of a slog to get there. As @malkav11 said, combat also starts out very slowly. That changes by the time you get to the level cap, fortunately.

For anyone interested, the free trial lets you get to level 35 on as many classes as you want. It won’t do a good job showing you endgame combat, but it will let you see if you like the world and want to continue.

Fanatical Lunar Sale with additional 8% off code.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/