Bargain Thread 2019

I modded the hell out of mine back in the day. Made up for any and all shortcomings. In fact, KSP pretty much ruined “space games” for me, after being a total junkie for them back in the day, because after it I realized that basically none of them really had anything whatsoever to do with “space”.

• If you go faster, you go to a higher orbit
  • If you go slower, you go to a lower orbit
  • Objects in lower orbit are faster than objects in higher orbit

Exactly. It makes sense once you understand what is going on.

Accelerate forward to go up.
Accelerate backwards to go down.
It takes a lot of energy to ‘fall’ into the sun.
Pass in front of a stellar body to slow down.
Pass behind one to speed up.

I seriously learned so much from that game.

As someone with a fairly significant background in the topic, I honestly prefer the sci-fi silliness to the kind of “well executed, but without enough feedback/data to do anything properly” gameplay of KSP. Maybe mods can fix that, but in vanilla it’s just a trial-and-error game.

Another one of those mindblowers. People forget that we’re just whipping around the sun. Want to fly into the sun? Burn your way out of the solar system first takes less dV.

edit: I fully respect and admire KSP’s attempts to teach my semi-real space stuff, but when it comes to space combat, I prefer WW2 dogfighting in space. Or, at most, Falcon 4 in space.

I appreciate it. I’ll be looking for a car shortly and I’ve always looked askance at KIA cars.

Deal has been extended through the 31st if anyone hasn’t doesn’t already have this.

My situation exactly. I associate them with Yugos – cheap and unreliable. Not sure why. I need to do research I suppose.

Yeah, yeah, we know how much you love Freespace 2. But if you go with “hard” sci-fi, nothing comes within 10 AU of Kerbal Space Program.

And some of us would say some games (cough I-War 2 cough) are better than Freespace 2, but, you know. We’re incorrect!

I’m still happy with my still doing great 164000Km 11-year old Kia Ceed (whose only issues are [and mostly were] aesthetic from neglect), but can we move on? :P

Yeah, I liked watching Quill playing it on Youtube and explaining the science, but I don’t feel like the gameplay would be fun to learn on your own. Like, it’s weird how the game gives you some projections about your flight and not others, where in real life someone modellng it would also calculate when and how to do maneuvers.
I’m sure there are mods for it and maybe I’ll still get around to it at some point, but most likely I’ll end up waiting for the spiritual successor.
Regardless, that game is one heck of an achievement.

I think when first introduced in North America in the early 90’s, Kia had a partnership with Ford to build Festivas and Aspires (LOL!), and eventually marketed low-budget vehicles under their own brand. That’s where the rep for low quality probably came from. By the mid-2000’s though the company had completely changed ownership and strategy, and in 2010 they opened their American manufacturing plant in West Point, Georgia where they’ve been cranking out vehicles that have won quality and reliability awards and best buy recommendations from Consumer Reports, J.D. Power and other agencies ever since. They have many models that rank similar in quality and reliability to Toyota and Honda vehicles in the same class, but cost at least a couple thousand less. I would definitely recommend researching Kia and Hyundai models of whatever class of car you’re looking into buying.

That’s my last shill for Kia in this thread, I swear. Anyone can feel free to PM me though if you like, or post in the new car thread in Everything Else. Also, if anyone from Kia is reading this, you’re welcome, and PM me so I can tell you where to send my discount as I’ll be needing to buy that new vehicle in a few months… =)

I submit that Children of a Dead Earth and Adios Amigos are both far better at dealing with harder, realistic physics while being actually fun.

Children of a Dead Earth is amazing, but I kind of bounced off the puzzle game nature of the campaign. Never heard of the other one; I’ll check it out.

Edit: 2D? Ehhhhh.

I wouldn’t say they’re any more fun than KSP, but they do have more shooting and blowing things up, so I guess I see where you’re coming from. ;)

EDIT: oh, Adios Amigos doesn’t have things blowing up (expect your ship, horribly), but it isn’t to the same level of KSP or anywhere close.

Which is why I prefer KSP. It’s about the joy of the pure science and achievement of it.

I played KSP briefly, and I have to admit I didn’t really get it. What is the payoff? Is it to finally reach space? Or to reach space and then somehow get back to the ground safely? And it is really hard to do, so it’s super satisfying to finally get it, I’m guessing?

It’s the Dark Souls of space sims! But kinder. And awesomer.

KSP is the epitome of “homework” game design. You want to succeed, but you’re not an aeronautics engineer, physicist, or literal rocket scientist? Go do some homework. Even then, you may need to watch some tutorials because the game systems need to be learned.

Some people like that. Some don’t.

Ugh, homework? Dark Souls? You couldn’t turn me off harder from a game if you tried.