Bargain Thread 2023

It was the culmination of these sorts of comments, that either made it seem unpolished or so 40K-focused that if you weren’t a 40K fan then you might want to skip out:

At first it sounded like a real solid choice to test out this Action RPG, but as I was playing I noticed how much of a drag the maps were. Nothing that connects to one another and most of the time you are just walking through a square trying to get to the end of the dungeon.

I am a WH40k fan so I am biased, but I really liked it and I didn’t feel the necessity to compare it to other ARPGs like D3 or Grim Dawn, it really does its own thing. Graphics aren’t bad but neither very good, which can be excused considering the attention to detail they put with following the source material. It looks like an aged game (which it is) but it doesn’t play as one. You really have to put up with its simplicity until you unlock crafting and crusades… After that the game becomes a way more enjoyable experience and it really shines at those two aspects.

Clunky controls, lot of bugs, bad progression system. Story, art style, and sound effects are great. One of the worst ARPG I ever played.

An excellent ARPG with lots of missions, a good story and a nice implementation. I have 500+ hours in it. To appreciate it properly, you need some W40K knowledge.

This game is diablo but in the 40k universe. It’s worth on sale if you like those two things. Doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel. Just an action rpg, you can play while a podcast or baseball game is on the other monitor.

Those are just some of the comments on Fanatical itself. Just remember, I wasn’t looking for a new game and wouldn’t have time to play it for a long while anyway, even if I did pick it up. It’s just that the 40K universe isn’t a selling point for me and so there’s nothing that this brings to the table that I don’t already have. It’s not that the comments are overly negative, just that there’s nothing that jumps out as ‘oh, wow! this sounds right up my alley’.

But, it’s on my radar now, in case I’m ever looking for that style a game in the future. Rogue Trader will probably be my first foray into 40K games.

I might pick it up. I have been on a Titan Quest Bender recently.

It’s between this and Helldiver, I think.

I bought the complete collection two years ago and refunded it. I think it was because of the need to change the camera angle constantly versus having a fixed camera angle.

So even with reviews that are positive, you’re on the fence? Yeah, maybe not for you then. No big deal, plenty of other games.

They’re insanely different games.

Oh I honestly love that I can do that, but I get it’s not for everyone.

Shame, really. I’m sure it’s great. But that’s a dealbreaker for me. Just like a deckbuilder where you can tweak your deck to your hearts content between encounters (like a ccg). I’d been on the hunt for a while to fall in love with an aRPG again.

Fwiw, the price now is even better (I’d paid 21, which was already stupidly good). This is a no-brainer if the active camera isn’ta problem.

I’ve found you don’t really need to adjust the camera as much as you can, but I am playing a melee/shotgun focused character so having a long view to set up avenues of ranged fire isn’t a problem. I also found it much easier to bind the camera rotation to A and D (I use qwer for my main skills) when using the mouse but I liked the controller as well.

Or use rmb for camera wasd to move and numbers for skills

Sure, but both cost money and use up the same limited amount of time that I have available for gaming.
And let’s be honest, if neither game ever gets played, don’t they both end up just being the exact same game? Both will just be listed on my steam library.

That’s deep, dude.

Im just saying they likely scratch very different itches.

Don’t matter he got 99 itches but free time ain’t one.

99 problems but his itch.io ain’t one

How is Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-reckoning? It’s going for $10.66 at Gamebillet.com.

I played a bit of it. It was…fine? A bog-standard RPG in the style of a MMO in terms of structure and mechanics, sort of. Relatively well constructed, sort of entertaining.

Worth it for the Chakrams. Such a fun weapon.

I really enjoyed the original back in the day, but I’m not sure how well it aged.

Facts!

Kingdoms of Amalur is excellent IMO. Big world, lots to see and do, a distinctive enough art style that the older graphics aren’t overly distracting, and easily the most fluid-feeling combat I’ve ever found in a game. I wish someone else would make a game with combat like that.

And yes, the absolute height of that fluidity is using something like the chakrams, which are up there on my all-time-great weapons in an RPG list:

Yeah I wish every RPG had chakrams.

Some do. You have FF XIV, right? You might want to unlock Dancer. ;)