Bargain Thread 2023

Reaaallllyyyyyy. Huh.

I’ve played it all the way through on PS+. Nice game, but basically what The Wombat says. A lot of standard stuff and a few surprises in the side quests.

The game really killed off a certain character after my dialog choice.

So the game is good entertainment which doesn’t get in the way - and I was in the mood for it. The new version has a couple of QoL improvements like a bigger inventory. Just a bit of polish and a couple of high-res textures.

I’m not sure I would buy it for 10$ though. I think it has been cheaper before.

If you decide to play it, read up on the character class. It has been some time, but AFAIR you want to play a mage.

Yup, mage gets chakrams.

And yeah, it’s been a tiny bit cheaper, but not that much:

[quote=“Gorath, post:365, topic:157888, full:true”].

If you decide to play it, read up on the character class. It has been some time, but AFAIR you want to play a mage.
[/quote]

Mage is probably the most powerful, but the game is designed (and relatively successful) to allow many different classes and combos of classes to be viable. There are even some perks you can only get for spreading your points between classes. And you can respec at any time for relatively low cost.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a prototypical 6/10 (a real 6/10, not a video game critic 6/10). It’s very competent, but nothing special. It’s part of a class of RPGs that draw heavily from MMO design—like Xenoblade Chronicles or Dragon Age: Inquisition—that just gets to be too much for me at around the 15 hour mark. It has zones, lots of grindy mostly uninteresting side quests, etc. Though, I could see someone who really likes MMO design having a higher opinion of it for that reason.

I agree with that assessment. After playing this game for the first time, my impressions was that I was playing a “Single Player” MMO. The quests really are bland and generic and it does not take long to begin to feel that.

I never finished the game, despite trying it on 3 different occasions, all because I lost interest. It was just the same shit over and over and over.

I bought Siralim Ultimate yesterday which is on the Steam sale at 40% off. I’d tried Siralim 1 back in the day but this is sooo much better.

Xbox Series S refurbed $200 for Prime Day today.

Very tempting, even though I already have a Series X.

Just got an email from Fanatical offering five different Dread X collections for $4.99 (regularly $46.95) - I’m not really familiar with the games on offer, but this seems like a really good deal. Anyone tried these games?

I’m a big fan of the series and Ultimate is really good. Great steam deck game and where I play it exclusively nowadays.

The Wild Eight is a ridiculous $0.99 (96%) as the Star Deal at Fanatical today. Grab it while it lasts!

More fun for less than a buck, the indie RPG Ember is $0.89 (91%). I had a lot of fun with this game and recommend it to fans of the classic Ultima-like RPGs.

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur a few posts above, it’s also on Groupees (remember them?). You can get it and the Potion Permit game for 12$

And you don’t have to decide now, it lasts 105 days.

New humble:

10:

• House of the Dead Remake
  • Indiana Jones Pinball FX3 (yay) + FX
  • Mortal Kombat 11 + DLC + Expansion
  • Terror of Hemasaurus

15:

• Redout 2
  • River City Girls
  • Trails Out

I would’ve bought this if I hadn’t picked up MK11 in a sale last month. Darn.

Amazingly, this bundle is live again. I had no idea they brought back old bundles like this. I think SlainteMhath’s link is even the same again this time, which is how I found this post.

No Icewind Dale 2, alas. :(

MELTY BLOOD: TYPE LUMINA has a free weekend and $25 sale on Steam. It’s in the Evo 2023 tournament lineup which runs next weekend (August 4/5/6, streaming links and schedule here).

Even better, it’s only $12 for everything now! Though the 25% off Mythforce coupon is no longer part of the bundle…but who cares?! $12 is a STEAL for everything D&D Enhanced Edition (and Pathfinder WotR)!

Who doesn’t own these by now?

I might not own the NWN enhanced, but after playing Pathfinder and 3.5 from NWN 2, I don’t think I can go back to NWN. Especially without the PRC.