Barry on HBO

Hader gets Best Actor.

They both deserved it.

Just a reminder to everyone that there are only seven (7) episodes in Barry. There is no eighth episode. And if there were, don’t watch it.

-Tom

Oh, man. I just finished episode 7, had 8 on my screen ready to watch this morning and now read this.

If there was no eighth episode, then I guess there will also be no Season 2?

Breaking Bad only had 7 episodes in it’s first season, IIRC.

Ok, yep.

There is no episode 8, people, just stop at 7.

What’s the issue with eight? Losing a good character? Maybe not a crowd-pleasing story decision but I give the show credit for having the courage of its convictions.

Yeah, that’s how I felt too. It would have been horrible as a series finale, but since it’s just the end of Chapter 1 of the story, I’m willing cut them more slack, since they know where the show is going more than I do.

It undoes pretty much everything that gave the series and its characters their identity. Suddenly Barry is actually a good actor, he’s socially well adjusted, he gets the girl, she’s not bitchy anymore, and now his acting teacher is his best buddy.

I mean, that would have been a dumb way to end a season. Fortunately, Barry consists of only 7 episodes.

-Tom

Well, okay, but all of that is subject to change at a moment’s notice.

Barry had an acting breakthrough but I don’t think he’s a good actor exactly. He’s at a slightly calmer place emotionally but I wouldn’t say he’s well-adjusted either. He gets the girl but that feels right after the way he watches her on the dance floor in episode 1. Seems like the story was always going to get there and I wanted it to.

And calling Barry and Gene best buddies is a stretch. (But now they’re Emmy buddies!) That said, I get your point and it was a pretty strained way to get the four of them together in an isolated location to reach that conclusion. At least the very last moment/line of dialogue was nice. The lies we tell ourselves…

Only a small part of it was losing a good character. The most egregious to me is that it just really did a lot of jumping from point A to point Z without any connection to or demonstration of the points in between - just to quickly (and seemingly) put a nice bow on a few plot points for the last episode, which is bad enough, but we then find out it really wasn’t to put a happy bow on, rather contrived only to set up the final scene. It felt very forced and manipulative.

I just watched the whole series. The comment about episode 8 could be applied to the whole series. Aside from Winkler, the series is just an endless cycle of “Fish out of water” premises that actually has worn completely thin by the time the Bolivians arrive (“Oh, the gangster is a nice guy!” “Oh that gangster has a process!”…again and again and again…)… Eight didn’t ruin anything, btw @tomchick. It was just a culmination of what the show had been doing the previous seven episodes, it’s just that the One-Trick Pony had shown you all its tricks. I won’t check in for Season 2. Noble effort though, and thanks for the recommendation, @Woolen_Horde.

S2 starts this Sunday, people.

Too much good stuff on HBO right now. I’m going to have to subscribe. Ideally in the month when all these seasons are ending, which will be … mid-May to mid-June I think.

Damn I love this show.

-xtien

“Don’t fuck with me Barry. It’s not polite.”

Hank is awesome

NoHo Hank getting pissed-off was a nice change, and scary.

I was a little confused how they jumped from connecting Fuches to Barry - just from seeing them on Facebook together?

I think he knew that Barry was from Cleveland.

So when they mentioned that Fuches was from Cleveland, it made a mental connection.

That was a hell of an episode.